PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is San Diego involved in tiebreakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgeorge

Reaction score
The official NFL playoff scenario has San Diego involved in two tiebreaker scenarios, even though they are eliminated from playoff contention.

One of the ways the Steelers can clinch a playoff berth is for San Diego to beat Denver. It says also that for KC to clinch a playoff berth, it needs to win, it needs PIT to lose and it needs SD to lose.

Why? If PIT loses and KC and SD both win, it sets up a three-way tie between the three clubs at 10-6. In a three-or-more-way tie for a wild card, the tiebreaker policy says first of all to eliminate all but the top ranked teams in each division, then apply the two-team method. In this scenario, KC knocks out SD due to better conference record. Then you apply the two-team method to KC and PIT and again KC wins on better conference record.

Am I missing something? SD is eliminated and KC wins tiebreakers with both SD and PIT.

Bob G

Never mind, I just found the answer...I keep forgetting that common games is ahead of conference record. I guess that in that scenario, SD beats KC but loses to PIT. This is why a SD win knocks out KC. What KC has to hope for is to finish only in a 2-way tie with PIT and not a 3-way tie with PIT and SD.

Ye Gods.

Bob G

Yeah,

Head-to-Head -> Division -> Common Opponents -> Conference

etc.

bobgeorge said:
The official NFL playoff scenario has San Diego involved in two tiebreaker scenarios, even though they are eliminated from playoff contention.

One of the ways the Steelers can clinch a playoff berth is for San Diego to beat Denver. It says also that for KC to clinch a playoff berth, it needs to win, it needs PIT to lose and it needs SD to lose.

Why? If PIT loses and KC and SD both win, it sets up a three-way tie between the three clubs at 10-6. In a three-or-more-way tie for a wild card, the tiebreaker policy says first of all to eliminate all but the top ranked teams in each division, then apply the two-team method. In this scenario, KC knocks out SD due to better conference record. Then you apply the two-team method to KC and PIT and again KC wins on better conference record.

Am I missing something? SD is eliminated and KC wins tiebreakers with both SD and PIT.

Bob G

• The Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with:
1. A win
2. A Chiefs loss or tie
3. A Chargers win (note: although Chargers have been eliminated, if they win vs. Broncos and they, the Chiefs and the Steelers all finish at 10-6, you would break division ties first. Chargers would win tiebreaker vs. Chiefs based on common opponents [8-4 vs 7-5] and that would eliminate the Chiefs. They would then go to tiebreaker vs. Steelers, which Pittsburgh would win based on its head-to-head win vs. Chargers).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2232165

Last edited:
bobgeorge said:
Never mind, I just found the answer...I keep forgetting that common games is ahead of conference record. I guess that in that scenario, SD beats KC but loses to PIT. This is why a SD win knocks out KC. What KC has to hope for is to finish only in a 2-way tie with PIT and not a 3-way tie with PIT and SD.

Ye Gods.

Bob G
Maybe this is why we will never have play-offs at the college level. PHD thesis in exercise sscience, anyone? :confused: :D

jczxohn1 said:
Maybe this is why we will never have play-offs at the college level. PHD thesis in exercise sscience, anyone? :confused: :D
The tie breaking rules are very simple and easy to understand and are only a page or so long. The key to understanding is to read them.

spacecrime said:
The tie breaking rules are very simple and easy to understand and are only a page or so long. The key to understanding is to read them.
The pros have 2 conferences. Imagine transfering that to the multitude of conferences in college ball.

jczxohn1 said:
The pros have 2 conferences. Imagine transfering that to the multitude of conferences in college ball.
BRILLIANT !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back