PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is "Oh God" One of the Most Common Sex Phrases?

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm watching the movie "Lords of War" while working on my desk and sometimes glancing at the forums here (everyone needs a break ;) ).

So Nicolas Cage "Yuri" is having sex with someone ... and she keeps saying over and over ... "Oh God...Oh God".

Never one to mix the Lord with sex I'm not sure I understand this ... perhaps Freud or one of his buddies understood it ... but I don't.

Now...I'm not complaining here ... if "Oh God" does it for you then so be it ... I just don't understand it.

Does anyone here have a theory?

Is it Catholic School Syndrome?

Catholic Church Revenge?

"Oh God" brings God to your aide in achieving a great climax?:eek:

You think of nuns while climaxing?

You don't know ... but they do it in the movies so you'll try it.:p

Orgasm is just so heavenly why not let God share in what he invented?:D

Last edited:
I don't think there's any blasphemous origin to the use of "Oh God" in sexual ecstasy, although there is probably a charge of blasphemy to be leveled at the reason.

Think about the word ecstasy. No, not the drug. The psychological state. From the greek, ekstasis -- outside of its place (referring to the mind experiencing it, of course.) An ecstatic state has to do with the dissipation of the ego (the sense of "I"). Is it any wonder that the language used for that state in sex is related at root to religion?

And is it any wonder that the crystalized forms of religion attempt to crystalize sexuality as well, to control it, to remove any rival from the "proper" ecstatic experience?

Religion, over the ages, has defined sexuality as a rival: In wedding services, we hear that love between a man and a woman "symbolizes" Christ's love for his church, for example. In Judaism, the symbolism runs another direction - the Sabbath is personified as a "Bride," perhaps of God himself.

Okay so anyway, historical/symbolic vestiges aside, think about what screaming "Oh God!" is supposed to mean -- that's when she's totally out of her mind (or else trying to convince you she is.) Other God-related exclamations are also tied (when not used lightly, as in valley girl talk), to moments of astonishment. You see somebody shot in front of you, you might say "Oh my God." Find a dead body, ditto... Or if you win a lottery maybe. These are all moments when you're outside the self, displaced as it were; ekstatik

So you gotta figure she's feeling that state, or trying to make you think she is, or, even more interestingly, building herself toward that state, using a self-trained reaction to the ecstatic-associated utterance to induce a state of ecstasy.

Unless you're doing her in the butt. In that case you just hurt her.

PFnV

I don't think there's any blasphemous origin to the use of "Oh God" in sexual ecstasy, although there is probably a charge of blasphemy to be leveled at the reason.

Think about the word ecstasy. No, not the drug. The psychological state. From the greek, ekstasis -- outside of its place (referring to the mind experiencing it, of course.) An ecstatic state has to do with the dissipation of the ego (the sense of "I"). Is it any wonder that the language used for that state in sex is related at root to religion?

And is it any wonder that the crystalized forms of religion attempt to crystalize sexuality as well, to control it, to remove any rival from the "proper" ecstatic experience?

God that was one heck of an answer ... actually OMG you nailed it.:p

...Okay so anyway, historical/symbolic vestiges aside, think about what screaming "Oh God!" is supposed to mean -- that's when she's totally out of her mind (or else trying to convince you she is.) Other God-related exclamations are also tied (when not used lightly, as in valley girl talk), to moments of astonishment. You see somebody shot in front of you, you might say "Oh my God." Find a dead body, ditto... Or if you win a lottery maybe. These are all moments when you're outside the self, displaced as it were; ekstatik

So you gotta figure she's feeling that state, or trying to make you think she is, or, even more interestingly, building herself toward that state, using a self-trained reaction to the ecstatic-associated utterance to induce a state of ecstasy.

Unless you're doing her in the butt. In that case you just hurt her.

PFnV
What a mind you got, PFnV!
LMFAO! (pardon the pun......)

OK, I give up whats the punch line?

My theory is slightly different then PFnV...

... I am a God in bed. :)

You mean, as in "Oh God, I'm pregnant again!"?

They're thanking God for their Orgasm

:bricks:

Font size equal to or less than 3, please.

by the way, Lord of War was a great freakin movie, FBN!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back