Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why is Hamas attacking now?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 13, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

A couple of viewpoints I found interesting.

link: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NDE4MDA3NDUyYjA0ZGY1MzQ4NjM5NjM1MWY4NDVkZGM=

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/428iqkmd.asp

Excerpts from the above articles.

Some more on Syria

Remember the head of Hamas is in Damascus. Hezbolluh is HQ'd out of Terhan.

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,345 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Sadly...the media is the cause of many deaths in the world.

Not their fault...just the way our culture is. When some country or orginization feels neglected they kidnap or kill people to get in the news and force their enemies to deal with them.

If the media could ignore terrorism perhaps there would be less of a problem. But the media cannot ignore any events because that is not what they are. If it were not for the media we would have more brutal rulers and dictators in the world. Does the media do more good than they do aiding terrorism..yes, I say they do...so what is the solution...I don't see any. also...with the internet now...which is media...terrorism is on the rise again...if nothing else...terrorists are great at using the media unfortunately.

3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Agreed, the terrorist factor that into their strategy and tatics.

4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Interesting articles inview of the developments the past couple of days in the Middle East. The conflict is being orchestrated by Iran.

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Doesn't it feel like the Middle East is one big game of whack-a-mole and the "orchestrating" power always pops up in a different place? No doubt Iran in a major player (and thorn) in the Middle East, but it's hard for me to believe that they're behind everything... there's enough hate to go around that I don't have to think that Syria, Lebanon, and Hamas are just having their strings pulled by Iran.

6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hezbollah, or more accurately Hizb'Allah which translates to party of god, looks to unleash hell on isreal,and the mid-east is going from real bad to fugged up quick.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Syria certainly is capable of making mischief, but The suthors make a good case for Iran's involvement. The timing is interesting since Iran was going to be brought up in the In Sec Council for their rejection fo proposals to stop their nuke weapons program. That is sorta on the back burner now.

8. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Given Ahmadinejad's statements about Israel, it isn't much of a leap to think that he's behind the Hezbollah rocket attacks. The Hamas kidnapping is probably a Palestinian issue.

The Iranians are now making threatening noises in Israel's direction, but I don't think they'll do anything--unless Israel hits them. And I don't think it will, at least not now.

However, Israel has long been aware of the 60,000 rockets Hezbollah has stockpiled in southern Lebanon and has been looking for an excuse to get rid of this sword of Damocles.

Is this a disproportionate response to the attacks by the two groups? I don't know. Would a milder response have worked better? I think there's not much chance of that.

I'm dismayed by what's going on, but I think it's sharply time-limited. I believe that it will mostly be over in a week. But I don't think Israel is going to let Iran fly 747s loaded with military gear destined for Hezbollah into Lebanon again. I understand that they've been doing this on a regular basis.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I wonder with Saddam out of the Hamas funding business, are they becoming a client of Iran also?

The events of this week also give lie to the notion that is the Israeli's evacuated Palistinian territory that would advance the cause of peace. I understand the Palis were friing rocket from Gaza into Israel every day since they left Gaza.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

The interesting thing is that Israel responded to the attacks by upping the ante, and Iran came out and challenged Israel to up it even more (by attacking Syria). I think it's possible is that Israel might use this opportunity to strike the Iranian nuclear facilities, but the resulting war would be major. The U.S. must do all it can to restrain Israel. Where's Condi?

11. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree...but W is only talking to the Arabs...and NOT Israel ...which I agree with you is where the focus should be.. But take a look at the media and how it is slanted..very little talk about civiliams killed by the Israelis or damage done to civilian areas in Beirut. And commentary??? Far from any balance...(Take a look at the Israeli Lobby thread and then how coverage is here to see it in full action..) I totally agree the US NEEDS to do something to restrain Israel..but I doubt it's going to happen...This G8 could really be in trouble with this going on day after day...

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I would guess Condi is talking wiht her peers at the G8 meeting. It is interesting that the Saudi's denounced Hezbollah and thier attacks. That is a new development.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,345 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Zarqawi gets killed...all of a sudden OBL is relesing statements every other day...the world sees the West getting the upper hand....NO..NOT YET.

If the darn Muslims cannot get enraged over America in Iraq then we'll just get the Jewish in the news.

I don't think it is just Iran...I think it's Al-Qaeda and Iran working together...you know the enemy & friend thing.

The Iraq situation must have been to close for comfort for the radical Muslims...so have at it.

14. Blue Collar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont' know how much fact is in what I heard.
    Apparently when israel gave up that section of gaza and the palestenians elected hamas, isreal shut down money derived from taxes and water and electricity, along with the us not sending aid due to hamas being elected.
    In reponse the rockets started hitting israel a year ago. Anybody factualy clarify please?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,345 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I bet you are correct in some form here...probably a piece of the puzzle.

Sounds like North Korea...no money...give us money or we fly the missles...is this a version of Welfare?

16. Blue Collar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The way I heard it was israel in some form had bueracratic control on some of these lands and was in possesion of palestinian money and keeping it along with shutting down water and elec. And that is why hamas retalliated?

North korea does sound like it's bribeing the us.

17. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe Isreal should enter into peace talks with the Palistinians? Nope, they did that with Arafart.

Maybe Isreal should offer some land to the Palistinians as a homeland? Nope, they did that.

Maybe Isreal should pull out of Southern Lebanon and let Hezballa set up a homeland there. Nope, they did that.

Maybe Isreal should ask them nicely to stop? nope, never work, they don't understand nice.

Maybe Isreal should put a major hurt on them and take back some of the land that they gave up.:rocker:

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

In the worst case, this spreads into Russia, Europe, and North Africa, with death tolls in the hundreds of thousands or more. Israel must act responsibly. I agree they're in a tough situation, but they don't want to put the liberals in these oppressive societies at a huge disadvantage.

Just as here where someone who opposes the war on Iraq is sometimes shunned by the righties as being anti-American and soft on terrorism, the same will happen to the more peaceful elements of countries like Iran. Israel's (and the U.S.'s) strategy is marginalizing them throughout the Middle East and putting all the power into the hands of the hawks. Oy vey.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

The electricity wasn't shut down AFAIK until the soldier was kidnapped. I know Israel wanted Hamas to change their charter which calls for the destruction of Israel, which seems reasonable to me.I wouldn't want to subsidize someone who has declared they want to kill me.

20. Blue Collar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said I'M unsure on all this, but it was said this happened before the kidnappings. And it wasn't about all subzidizing.
    I should have never brought it up.