Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why is "Global warming" (or whatever) a partisan issue in the first place?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fixit, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -2

It's odd that this particular issue seems to fall along party lines: Dems and Indy's recognize it, and Cons deny it. Why do you think that is?

It would seem to me that anything that threatens the actual effing planet is everyone's concern. If the evidence bears out, then we would all be in trouble. If it doesn't, it would seem that everyone would want to work together to make sure.

I don't get the point of looking at the considerable evidence and saying, "Nope. Not happening."

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't think too many people actually reject that global warming is happening (some do, but they're just throwing out macguffins that they don't themselves believe). Their arguments boil down to:
    1. The climate may be changing, but we have nothing to do with it.
    And more often...
    2. We may be changing the climate, but the proposed solutions are worse than the problem because they would hurt us economically.

You're also talking about a group of people who don't give much weight to science. The bible doesn't say anything about global warming so how can they be sure it's real?

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

simple....greed.

The comnpanies the produce the CO2, are the same companies that fund the politicians to look the other way.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But it's not just politicians. Everyday schmoes like FreeTedWilliams and BelichickFan will tell you there's no problem, and NOTHING will convince them otherwise. Seriously, can you imagine any piece of science convincing them?

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

They are following talking points. You can follow FOXsnooz, and come here to see the same opinions posted.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

What doesn't fall along party lines? Anyone remember SS in the 90's versus SS in the 21st century?

Also, I think you need to rephrase your post, Cons might deny it exists, whereas Indy's think it exists, but aren't completely sold on the dooms day scenario stuff.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

A lot of the left (Europeans particularily) gravitated toward the enviromental movement when the propects for communist in waned in the 80's. The Glboal warming scare is perfect fodder. Comethis to scare the h*ll out of the scientifically illerate, something that 'demands' international bureauracy over over see the 'solution', and of course the solution demands redistribution of wealth from the capitalist countries to the rest of the world. perfect.

Those on the right tend to be sceptical of central planning and non market mandated solutions. Then when you examine the process and science the whole ting comes off as a scam.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

I reject it. And I don't believe in God. And I'm an engineer so I believe in science. I also comprehend, though, that the earth goes through warm and cold phases with and without people. You kow, like the Ice Age.

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So that precludes people from having an additional effect, above and beyond the natural cycles?

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

No but slight raises in temperature do little to prove it either - especially when you read that Jupiter's temperature has been rising too.

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I like the science!

Also understand that the 'rate' of warming is speeding up faster that the natural trend caused by the expanding and contracting orbit of the earth around the sun. This quickening of temerature rise is the exact same rate as the expanded levels of CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I agree with you there, environmentalism has been co-opted by people who want to use it to persue policy that really has nothing to do with the environment

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, just because chicken littles may be crying that the sky is falling doesn't mean that the whole phenomenon is a scam. Certainly there's a good amount of evidence that global warming is real, even if the ultimate effects are open to questioning.

13. Fixit

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -2

I need to rephrase nothing, so :p.

But that's what I'm saying: people who "aren't sold on the doomsday stuff"...wouldn't it behoove them to maybe listen to the science and find out for sure? If nothing big's going to happen, then who cares, but isn't it better to err on the side of caution when you're talking about the possible fate of a damn planet?

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Which science?

Science isn't about polls or personal feelings it is about data and models predicting observation in the real world.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

And as I've said before, if you want to do something about get a real energy solution quit saying conserve. We can't conserve enough to counteract the energy usage growth around the world.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So is there any environmentalism you support, or should we just pump anything we want into our environment because we can't be 100% sure?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  17. Fixit

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -2

So contribute to it as much as possible, instead.

Okay.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

I bet I contribute less than almost anyone on this board.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

Like I've said, find a real solution or STFU. I'd support tax dollars to find alternative energy.

20. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

the belief in science...data...thats what I like.