PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Brady still in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would not have either Brady or Manning in with the score at 38-0. This was an opportunity to protect Brady and allow Cassell to have some playing time.

Would this be the same Cassell that had enough playing time to engineer a touchdown scoring drive?

Let's just take a look at some blowouts:

Cassell entered the game with over 8 minutes left. Brady had finished a drive that spilled over into the 4th

Sorgi did the same for the Colts

Brees continued into the 4th and, if he was in for the final, handoff, drive, he played the whole game

Rivers played the entire game for the Chargers

In other words, not a single team that won a blowout this week pulled their starter prior to the 4th quarter.

Why does what the chargers did make it right to needlessly risk injury to Brady who has had a sore shoulder (one that limits practice time) for the last two years?

Ans I said, I have stated my personal view. Obviously coaches disagree. They think their QB's invincible, even as they see injuries to QB's almost every week.

Would this be the same Cassell that had enough playing time to engineer a touchdown scoring drive?

Let's just take a look at some blowouts:

Cassell entered the game with over 8 minutes left. Brady had finished a drive that spilled over into the 4th

Sorgi did the same for the Colts

Brees continued into the 4th and, if he was in for the final, handoff, drive, he played the whole game

Rivers played the entire game for the Chargers

In other words, not a single team that won a blowout this week pulled their starter prior to the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Why does what the chargers did make it right to needlessly risk injury to Brady who has had a sore shoulder (one that limits practice time) for the last two years?

Of all the ridiculous arguments you've made here, this one has got to be the topper. There's a legitimate question about Brady throwing for a score on 4th down. There's no legitimate question about when the starting quarterbacks are getting pulled. This is not the end of the season, and the playoffs aren't next week.

Last edited:
Then why not leave the starters in until the end of the game, passing to Moss 30 yards down the field when up by 60 points. The issue is when to stop and give your backups a chance to get some reps, and to sit starters and stop risking injury (after all they tell me that we have a key game next week). My position is that the time to put in the subs was at 38-0. If any starter were injured after we were leading 38-0, my guess is that many would agree with my postion. We were lucky and its great for Brady to run up the score.

I believe that we had a choice. I believe that our chances of beating Indy were higher if we didn't risk injury to key starters for a meaningless quarter. You disagree.

Of all the ridiculous arguments you've made here, this one has got to be the topper.

Last edited:
I personally think that he should have ended the drive in the 3rd/4th and then been done ie, he was in one too many series.
IMO the ONLY thing that is going to stop the Pats this year is an injury to Brady.
It is a balancing act between keeping things rolling and fresh and avoiding injury, but I would rather err on the side of caution with The Franchise... Giesel can only do so much to heal his wounds

Then why not leave the starters in until the end of the game, passing to Moss 30 yards down the field when up by 60 points. The issue is when to stop and give your backups a chance to get some reps, and to sit starters and stop risking injury (after all they tell me that we have a key game next week). My position is that the time to put in the subs was at 38-0. If any starter were injured after we were leading 38-0, my guess is that many would agree with my postion. We were lucky and its great for Brady to run up the score.

I believe that we had a choice. I believe that our chances of beating Indy were higher if we didn't risk injury to key starters for a meaningless quarter. You disagree.

You can't rest every starter, as you must know. And of all the starters playing tonight, only Tom Brady went essentially untouched. Do you not think Dungy was facing the same issues when he played Manning into the 4th? You're just not thinking. You're starting from an argument and then trying to back it up rather than looking at data and then coming to a conclusion. In other words, your approach is completely backwards.

Last edited:
AGREED.. and I never have or will. Your missing my point. I think its russian roullete to leave Manning or Brady in with big leads for the injury factor it poses versus the benefits it creates. Just wondered your take on it. Obviously, you think Brady is untouchable period. I ,for one, think Manning is one hit away by being left in to 'pad the score or stat' from being knocked out of a game at least or career ending injury at worst. I am not happy with the practice for that very reason. Coming here I have learned most Pats fans seem ok with it.

cringelyindy , unfortunately BB doesnt work this way. He has played starters even during meaningless games at the end of seasons in the past. His theory is old school and also that the more you worry about getting injured the more you are bound to. Thats the way he operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back