Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why is America Angry?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Are Americans angry? If this board is a reflection of Americans, it would apprear to be true. It says "Political Discussion" at the top, but I see so much angry attacking by both sides.

I thought I'd find discussion on various current topics and issues...and I have. There are many members here who truly want to discuss issues from both sides of the fence and everywhere in between. I've learned a lot in these discussions too.

But when I see & read the attack threads, I learn nothing and I think we all learn nothing. Sure, we hone our finger pointing skills but beyond that I see no benefit.

Think of the word "Attack"...and then think about what we're doing here on this board. Does each side actually think they will change votes or change people's minds here?

I know it won't change anyone's mind. So the only logical explanations there are to our often vicious attacking is:

-We hate the "other" side

-We're angry at life in general and misery loves company

-It somehow feels good to lash out

-We think we'll uncover something no one else has found

-We want to become popular with others on our side

How can anyone else explain it?

Maybe we are a reflection of the anger Americans are feeling in these difficult times, I don't know. Can anyone give us one positive result of attack threads?

Finally, is anyone keeping score?:D
  2. FootballYouBet

FootballYouBet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Dems and Repubs have done a great job of dividing us all while raping the country of all its wealth haven't they? Sad part is most people still haven't realized it.
  3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

That is sad. It's almost as if we enjoy fighting amongst ourselves and avoid the real issues. Hell, it's easy to argue and attack.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

We need a 3rd party ... Americans go to the polls to elect new people who are backed by the same power mongers in the democratic and republican parties which are backed by corporate interests.
  5. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Wow....Pot meet Kettle.....

Humility anyone? Our "humble" resident has spoken to us.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Your reply is EXACTLY what this thread is discussing. What's up with mg that inspired him to attack (the poster) on an emotional level rather than just comment on the topic on an intellectual one?

Is it possible Mr mgcolby that YOU are one of those who just loves to attack on a partisan level? I'll just have to scan through some of your posts and find out.

So, what do you have to say about the thread topic.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I wish there was a third viable one myself FBN.

My opinion is that Americans are pretty stressed over current economic conditions and are worried about their future and that of their children.

I also believe that somewhere in the 1990's, politics in general turned very ugly. I can't pinpoint exactly when or why, but I know it was then that the 2 parties really polarized themselves into a good guys vs the bad guys scenario which I think is stupid and counter productive.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Look elsewhere, that particular sentiment has been with us since our inception as a country and ebbs and flows over time. It has nothing to do with the "anger". We don't live in a time of all that much difficulty from a financial standpoint from a historical basis. Sh!t, many of the poorest of the poor among us have cable TV, flatscreens, access to the internet, cell phones and xBox. There are too many historical examples a of time when our poor ate dirt to survive and something as basic as shoes consisted of old leather and twine. We, for the most part, have no understanding of what REAL hardsh!p is. Sh!t doesn't flow down our city street like it does in many other parts of the world. We may "react" differently to "hardship" then we did in the past, but it's hard to argue that we, as a society, have it harder then we did at most other times in our history.

That said, I don't disagree wholly with your premise that the anger exists. I think there has been a cultural shift in the past 40-50 years starting with the counter-culture 60's and extending through the selfish 80-90s that has led to a generalized "external blame" mentality. You see it everywhere in daily life. Nothing is our fault and problems are always the "other guys" issue, not mine.

It just extends to politics. It's a helliva lot easier to say "you lefties" and "you righties" then it is to actually sit at the table together and go through the tough practice of reaching consensus and unity. You don't have to look any farther than the mirror to find the problem (all of us). A third party is just a short term solution, because in time, they'll be just as selfish and power hungry as the others. It's a societal issue.... Politics is a reflection (albeit an ugly one) of the greater society.

I'm as guilty as everyone else....... I'm trying to limit it these days because it, as you state, is non-productive, and at times boarders on spiteful and mean. I don't consider myself a mean person and if 95% of you met me, you wouldn't think that either, but that is NOT how I've conducted myself on here all the time either. I'm sure It'll happen again, even as I try not to.

You asked if anyone was keeping score? YES, we all are..... That's part of the problem ;)
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Great input PiNY! Thanks.

I'm as guilty as anyone else too. I hope I didn't give the impression I was "above" all this, because I'm not...not even close.

But it does wear my down and disappoint me to some extent.

ONe note on your comment about the poor having cable TV. I had a debate with a friend of mine where he said our living conditions have improved immensely since we were kids (1960' & 70's) and I said they haven't.

My rationale was that today in most homes, both parents need to work to make ends meet and to afford nice homes. I think we're far more materialistic than back then, but living conditions today are much, much more fast-paced and stressful. Look at all the running around parents have to do for their children! When I was a kid, we went outside and played until lunch & then until dinner. Parents didn't have to do anything.

Back then, parents didn't worry as much about retirement planning as they must do now. Traffic was less, lines were shorter and people were more patient...or at least it seems that way to me.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Hey PiNY, I hope you don't mind that I'm going to steal your link from another post you made and suggest that anyone interested in understanding the differences in Patriotism from a conservative perspective and from a liberal one, read it. It's very well written.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1818195,00.html
  11. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

True....... Much of that is selfishness though. We don't have to live in huge houses or pack our kids lives to the brink of chaos. WE CHOOSE TO. It's partly to blame for many of the financial ills we as a society face. We live outside our means. If we want it, we buy it, whether we can afford to or not. I can remember having to save pennies as a kid to buy candy at the store because in those days..... no money, no candy.

I haven't always, but the last few years, I've lived a CASH lifestyle, and have NO unsecured debt (I'm not rich either), and you cannot beleive how much happier I am. NEVER fight with the misses about money. It's very pleasant. Raising my kids though, it's HARD to instill that in them. At 17 and 15, they think they NEED credit cards to survive. :eek:

That has as much to do with it as anything.

It's probably a better place for that link anyway. By the way, the conservative patriot fits me to a T, but anyone that bothers reading it already knows that ;)
  12. FootballYouBet

FootballYouBet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IMO what we need most is for people people to think for themselves, rather than maintain these empty alliances to political parties that don't serve their interests. I am frequently overwhelmed by the number of people that continue to blindly defend and support certain politicians and their parties, to a point at which their arguments are silly and illogical. People are letting partisan party politics shape their opinions on important issues. For what? What did any of these aholes actually ever do for you that you would give them such blind loyalty? Congress has a 20 percent approval rating yet people line up in droves to pull their D or R levers and staunchly defend their parties. It doesn't make any sense.
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I think the only way to change our system is to make it parliamentary, which gives minority political points of view more power. The problem that arises in each election is we have to either vote for the lesser of two evils or see the greater of two evils get in.

For instance, in this election, Obama, who I support has been moving further and further to the right -- pro second amendment, pro FISA, anti gay marriage, for the right of states to sentence child rapists to death, etc. Yet, on other important issues, such as Iraq and health care, I like his stands. In addition, I am 100% certain that he'll appoint better people to the SC than Bush did. So, what's my option? Allow McCain to win by default? I think people on both sides of the fence feel this way.

In a lot of ways, Italy may have the best model. Although a lot of people point to Italy with derision for having 60 governments in the last 60 years, at least it's leaders are always on notice and always subject to tremendous scrutiny. In our system, the crooks are virtually guaranteed their hold on power for years.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You have to admit, you do a fairly good job of attacking people, whether it be "big business" or even me.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

You're right, it's about you a paul...it's always about you. So, I "have to admit I do a pretty good job of attacking YOU"? Have you ever considered it the other way around?...just a thought.

Bingo...You just made yourself another example of what this thread discusses. You attacked the poster rather than intellegently commenting on the thread topic. You came through once again!

If you read along, I've already stated I'm as guilty as anyone for partisan attacks. You don't have to be innocent of sin to condemn it.
  16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I can tell you what makes me angry - although I am very happy overall.

I get angry when Patters and the Obama gang call White America racist.
    I get angry when people blame the rich for the woes of the poor when the rich pay almost the entire income tax.
    I get angry when people blame SUVs when my wife's Highlander gets better mileage than most cars built before around 2000.
    I get angry when people, validly, bring up alternative energy and poo poo drilling.
    I get angry when people think "bumper to bumper" healthcare is a birthright.

And, most of all, I get angry when I think of this past year's Super Bowl.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I've been a bit right of center independant since I was in my 20's. How anyone can blanketly support a political party makes no sense to me. My best example in my state is Senator Jack Reed. A moderate to liberal democrat who does a great job ... even if I were a republican I would vote for Jack Reed because he does his best to represent his state and the country.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I would debate you on every single one of your "angry buttons" but I don't want to go off-topic. But I will say that each point on your list is a partisan issue. Did you read PatriotinNewYork's link I left a few posts back?

It really lays out how both parties are very patriotic, but one focus' on "The America they know" from a historical perspective and the other focus on "An America of the future" or one that "could be".

Neither is right or wrong just as my opinions and yours are neither right or wrong.
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There is a word for people who condemn in others what they're guilty of themselves you know.

And in order to "intellegently" (love it when people misspell a word like that while trying to appear above others) comment on the thread topic, I'd have to first accept your premise--and I don't believe "America is Angry". I think there are things some of us get angry about, but by and large America's problem is that most people are too damn passive--no one wants to rock the iPod in every pot.
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How is not liking being called a racist a partisan issue? In fact, how is any of what he said "partisan"?

And yes, in this world there is right and wrong, and someone is right and someone is wrong. Patters calls Republicans the "white party" and insinuates we're all racists, and that's wrong. Or are you one of those spineless types who thinks it's okay to say whatever because it's "opinion"?