PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I think it's a Good draft so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yes, this deserved its own thread.

As for pass rushers, there aren't any other than quinn, miller, etc...guys who are too high.

I think they could have used a DE/DL but with warren and stroud and the rest, plus the kid from georgia they got last year is a real promising kid...maybe there isn't much room for improvement.

I wish they hadn't traded the 3rd and 4th, they could use a guy like romeus and boling to replace the ohrnberger (who I think is a bit of a bust).

Anyway, Mallett could be the best pick....he's a dedicated guy, high ceiling, needs to work on his mechanics and choices somewhat....look at this video, yes I know it's a highlight reel but some things can't be taught. Hopefully he lights a fire under one tom brady.

YouTube - Mallett For Heisman 2010 - Sweet Dreams

shane vereen...eh...there are a lot of guys at RB, he reminds me of ray rice though. Ridley maybe drafted too high, don't get it....but they must have felt the need.

Kendrick ellis I wanted them to get...but supposedly he has legal problems and got kicked off of SC's team, I believe, so maybe he is a bad egg.

Bailey? He just isn't good. I did like brooks reed, kind of surprised they didn't draft him at 33.

But overall, I think it's a good draft. As I've said many times, Light will probably play some guard this year...he's 33 that's about all he's good for anymore. They could use another guard and a center....a developmental WR (denarious moore from tenn. is one guy I like a lot but there are many).

But I'm not discouraged...solder should be very good too. Ras-I dowling has ball skills, likes to tackle, which is good...don't know about make up speed. At least he's not 5-8 like some of the other CBs? At least he likes to tackle unlike bust butler?

so far I haven't regretted taking you off ignore, I agree with most of what you said.

Yes, this deserved its own thread.

As for pass rushers, there aren't any other than quinn, miller, etc...guys who are too high.

I think they could have used a DE/DL but with warren and stroud and the rest, plus the kid from georgia they got last year is a real promising kid...maybe there isn't much room for improvement.

I wish they hadn't traded the 3rd and 4th, they could use a guy like romeus and boling to replace the ohrnberger (who I think is a bit of a bust).

Anyway, Mallett could be the best pick....he's a dedicated guy, high ceiling, needs to work on his mechanics and choices somewhat....look at this video, yes I know it's a highlight reel but some things can't be taught. Hopefully he lights a fire under one tom brady.

YouTube - Mallett For Heisman 2010 - Sweet Dreams

shane vereen...eh...there are a lot of guys at RB, he reminds me of ray rice though. Ridley maybe drafted too high, don't get it....but they must have felt the need.

Kendrick ellis I wanted them to get...but supposedly he has legal problems and got kicked off of SC's team, I believe, so maybe he is a bad egg.

Bailey? He just isn't good. I did like brooks reed, kind of surprised they didn't draft him at 33.

But overall, I think it's a good draft. As I've said many times, Light will probably play some guard this year...he's 33 that's about all he's good for anymore. They could use another guard and a center....a developmental WR (denarious moore from tenn. is one guy I like a lot but there are many).

But I'm not discouraged...solder should be very good too. Ras-I dowling has ball skills, likes to tackle, which is good...don't know about make up speed. At least he's not 5-8 like some of the other CBs? At least he likes to tackle unlike bust butler?

Solder needs technique work and must get much stronger while playing a bit lower. Dante and Nash should have him ready by opening day and next year after a full off season, he should be a beast.

I think Dowling is very fast, ran a 4.49 or something like that. Good change of direction. Probably works best at FS.

Vereen could be special in our offense because of his speed, catching and down hill running.

Ridley provides back up for Green Ellis and is an excellent ST performer to boot.

Mallet is the next O'Connell. Probably going to push Hoyer for the backup spot.

Good points, Ochmed.

I'd just add that although Solder's physicality and athleticism are amazing, even beyond Vollmer's, he doesn't play with a nasty streak that I like in my O-linemen. Remember Conrad Dobler?

I don't see him on film punish or pound people into the turf enough. He's usually dancing, a little too high.

I watched Jake Long extensively in college. I'd often feel sorry for the opposing defender because Long would finish him off five or even eight yards downfield. And he'd put him on his back. Total domination. Has Solder done the same?

Maybe Solder has that eye of the tiger and I'm too busy to see it.

sig test.

having 0 luck.

if it shows BED

Well, Dowling might not have the makeup speed of Watson, but he's pretty fast. He's a 4.4 guy. I think that he was 4.49 at the combine on a sore hammy.

Also, while he could compete at nickel and dime, I expect that he was drafted to play safety, replacing Meriweather or Sanders, probably in 2012. Both of their contract end after this season.

New England Patriots 2011 NFL Draft Review - Football Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Ras-I dowling has ball skills, likes to tackle, which is good...don't know about make up speed. At least he's not 5-8 like some of the other CBs? At least he likes to tackle unlike bust butler?

I don't care what they do with Dowling as long as Chung isn't covering slot receivers anymore. I could definitely see Dowling having a FS role on early downs and cover the slot on passing downs. He definitely gives Bill some versatility to work with. And with him at FS, the Pats have an actual legitimate centerfielder who won't take out his own guy instead of the opponent.

You know... at the end of the day, I just think the Pats drafted a lot of kids who can play football. Solder, Dowling, Vereen, Ridley, Mallett, Cannon... I just think they're all going to be at least solid pros, and I think three or four of those six kids have a chance to be really, really good.

So, yeah... no pass rushers and no one on the DL, but it's a nice mix of kids who should be at least decent and some others with real upside.

Take a choice

A Belicheck knows what he is doing and teh current roster has upside

b draft shows making up for mistakes in past Dowling over butler

Take a choice

A Belicheck knows what he is doing and teh current roster has upside

b draft shows making up for mistakes in past Dowling over butler

I don't think it's an either/or situation there, at least with the two choices presented. It could be both as well, or neither. Those two choices have nothing to do with each other.

I agree that Butler was disappointing, but many corners struggle early on in their careers. And it could also be insurance against Bodden returning from injury.

We drafted Solder to play LT this year, Vollmer in the 2nd in 2009 and he's at RT, so is the drafting of Marcus Cannon an indictment on either of them? Is Mallett picked because of doubts of Brady or Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back