PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I miss the USFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We would be in the middle of the Boston Breakers season right now! YEAHHHH! (Howard Dean scream):rocker:

PonyExpress said:
We would be in the middle of the Boston Breakers season right now! YEAHHHH! (Howard Dean scream):rocker:

Or the Portland Breakers. Or wherever they would be now.

plus better team names, better logos and 18 game seasons. The USFL ruled. Too bad Trump destroyed it, or we'd all be talking about actual football games right now... on another forum, I guess:rolleyes:

Part of the beauty of the NFL is the off season sense of anticipation. kind of like lingerie on a hot chick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously nobody else is the least bit interested in this thread... But for my own benefit, here is an example of how much better the USFL team names were than the NFL names: the renegades, the wranglers, the maulers, the gamblers, the gunslingers, the bandits, the showboats, the outlaws, the invaders... awesome. That league was fantastic, and had real talent: Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Keith Byars, Hershel Walker, Doug Flutie, Marcus Dupree. Football would be better today if the USFL had survived, IMHO. Official USFL site: http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/

sieglo said:
Part of the beauty of the NFL is the off season sense of anticipation. kind of like lingerie on a hot chick.

Do tell!

Perhaps you can flesh out this analogy a bit more?

Only in the interests of furthering this discussion, mind you....

Hey! Whatever happened to the WFL? Can't we have a thread about that?

Of course, the NFL would suck that much more with another competing league. The players couldn't play for both. So we'd have two football leagues with half the talent. No thank you.

PonyExpress said:
Obviously nobody else is the least bit interested in this thread... But for my own benefit, here is an example of how much better the USFL team names were than the NFL names: the renegades, the wranglers, the maulers, the gamblers, the gunslingers, the bandits, the showboats, the outlaws, the invaders... awesome. That league was fantastic, and had real talent: Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Keith Byars, Hershel Walker, Doug Flutie, Marcus Dupree. Football would be better today if the USFL had survived, IMHO. Official USFL site: http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/

I disagree that maulers, renegades, gunslingers, etc are better names than Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, etc. I suspect you like them because of the nostalgia. I mean, Memphis Showboats? Even the Boston Breakers. We're going to get excited about a wave? Aren't the renegades, wranglers, outlaws, and gunslingers basically synonyms? It would be like forming a league with teams called the convicts, prisoners, jailbirds, perpetrators, and chain gang.

Why you think the NFL would be better today with another league siphoning off talent is puzzling.

Incidently, here's a link to a GREAT site, detailing how each NFL franchise's name came about:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.jsp

Last edited:
sieglo said:
After wearing that lingerie for six months waiting for some action, the lingerie is going to be a little rank, don't you think. Not to mention the mental andphysical state of the guy who spends six months staring a the lingerie-clad beauty doing nothing but waiting.

dryheat44 said:
Of course, the NFL would suck that much more with another competing league. The players couldn't play for both. So we'd have two football leagues with half the talent. No thank you.
I take quantity over quality, as a matter of principle. :D To each his own.

PonyExpress said:
I take quantity over quality, as a matter of principle. :D To each his own.

Ahh...well that explains it. I've always been a quality man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes