PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I love Sergio Brown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Because, post-INT, once he realized there was no room to run and the only thing(s) that could happen were bad, he curled up, protected the ball and allowed the OFFENSE to come on the field and do its job. This is something we would NEVER have seen from "the other #31" and those tiny little smart moves add up over time. Thank you, Sergio.

I was afraid to open and read this thread because thoughts of "hot bottom" came to mind but I agree with you and obviously BB does as well. One thing the safetys did well was cover the TE. In fact part of the problem with today's D might gave been the coaching insistence that stopping Gates was the primary focus to the detriment of other coverages, q.v. the underneath outlet pass.

The other #31 was extremely durable in his four years. As can already be seen, jettisoning Merriweather may result in late camp free agent pickups starting in the secondary.

I was afraid to open and read this thread because thoughts of "hot bottom" came to mind but I agree with you and obviously BB does as well. One thing the safetys did well was cover the TE. In fact part of the problem with today's D might gave been the coaching insistence that stopping Gates was the primary focus to the detriment of other coverages, q.v. the underneath outlet pass.

They did that before with Welker in 2006 . . . they held Welker without a catch, but the LOLphins won the game. :(

His first INT since High school.

He shut down Gates, period, when he had him. He got flagged for one bs call, but even if you count that against him the redzone INT makes up for it.

I think the decision was made to give Rivers those dumps because they come in smaller increments with less chance of a huge play. Problem was Jackson made some huge plays because we had no safety help and it got worse when Chung went out.

Sergio was definitely a bright spot today. And I can't get too worked up because we absolutely abused SD's safeties and this was supposed to be a top-10 or so defense.

Just looking around the league there are huge numbers getting thrown up early.

Kind of like the Thurman Thomas game planning in the SB when coach was with the Giants, or at least in the same vein anyway considering the obvious fact that they are 2 different positional players.

Allow him (or 'them' in this instance) to gain some yards, but at the same time prevent the big play and let them kill themselves with the clock.

Of course this could just be a Pro-Belichickian conspiracy theory from me too. I'm sure there were several big keys to the game, things that we had to do to limit them and have a chance at winning. I don't believe they did very well in some areas (watch the chucks dowfield to the bigger WR's), but I do think they did an awesome job at others (taking away the TE).

And the offensive game planning has been a thing of pure beauty of course.

But yeah, I have been somewhat of a S.Brown supporter since last yr's limited viewing of him. I think they like his potential, and his smarts. I'm not sure he has the natural/raw talent that some have, but we all know that doesn't always add up to a successful player (see: Dez Bryant).

Was impressed with Sergio! Played well!

And I am stuff unsure on the flag, think it was a little harsh!

He shut Gates down, at the expense of Jackson getting more than his fair share...

Can't really recall meri doing anything dumb with the football. Good game by Sergio.

Last edited:
Can't really recall meri doing anything dumb with the football. Good game by Sergio.

Merriweather has had several ints where he's just dropped to the ground with the ball when there was nowhere to go.

But the truth doesn't matter to most of the people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes