Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why I hate Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jul 24, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to Wikipedia, at this very moment (8:46 PM, 7/24), Tedy Bruschi is no longer amongst the living. Please keep that in mind next time someone here says Wikipedia is a legitimate reference tool.

"Tedy Lacap Bruschi (pronounced BREW-ski) (born June 9, 1973 in San Francisco, California) was an American football linebacker for the New England Patriots of the National Football League who died July 24, 2007." -- Wikipedia
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Sounds like a Colts fan - or player - made that entry.:mad:
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The rumor is actually being discussed right now over in the main forum... it's an interesting story about how this actually was a rumor floating around today, but fortunately it has been discredited.
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Gee whiz you don't suppose there's a bug in the software that's inadvertently revealing some sort of placeholder that every bio on Wiki has embeded in it?

Even though Brewski's a living legend he will die someday like everyone else who's ever lived. Seems to me that a smart coder would just hide the date of death(perhaps by setting it to the current date?) rather than stripping it out of the file altogether for people who are still alive.
  5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That isn't how Wikipedia works. Wikipedia is, quite literally, the free encyclopedia that any idiot can edit. So when a rumor like this comes out, there's always an idiot or two out there ready to post rumor and innuendo as fact.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Dear Crummudgeon Transfat: Is there anything you don't complain about?
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why don't you fix it, since any moron can edit?
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think many people who dislike Wikipedia don't know how to use it. Depending on the subject, it's often worthwhile to check the discussion tab at the top of the article and the footnotes at th bottom. But, Wikipedia is an encyclopedia and should not be considered a primary source. It's accurate in most cases and, even QuiGon in the case of Bruschi, cited the date and time, apparently recognizing that Wikipedia mistakes are often corrected very quickly. Of course, in any real-time environment, mistakes are sometimes introduced (and usually corrected) fairly quickly. If someone is unlucky enough to read an article at the moment a mistake is introduced, they can be misled. Luckily, most of us have enough judgment to catch critical mistakes. At any rate, Wikipedia is an excellent resource for forum discussions and other informal discussions. It is certainly no worse than snopes, which QuiGon has been known to rely on.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

Liberal Bastards:singing: :singing:
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's because you're a smarmy condescending elitist liberal P.O.S. that thinks that anyone who disagrees with you... well, they just aren't smart enough to understand things the way you do.

I hate Wikipedia because it is chock full of erroneous information.

High profile mistakes are corrected very quickly... meanwhile, there was that guy who worked in the Kennedy administration accused of assassinating him for about a year...
    I know you don't really mean that because only a complete mental defective could beleive that statement was true. Wikipedia is much, much worse than Snopes. Please, give us some examples of Snopes saying something that has been demonstrated to be false. I look forward to your examples.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

No, actually, you're the only one I look down upon, and that's only because you're rude. I really have a lot of respect for everyone else.

That's false. Care to give a few examples of errors that are relevant to any discussions here?

I never said Wikipedia is perfect, but for casual discussion it's very very good.

I find snopes an entertaining site, which is what it's supposed to be. But, as long as you rely on it, then I trust you agree with its take on John Kerry's medals:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

:rofl:
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

The End Is Near
    Al Gore Internet Inventor 2007
    Harrypedia.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typical liberal. Thinks his sh*t smells sweeter than everyone else's.
    I have given many, many examples of Wikipedia's inaccuracies. I see no need to repost them here.
    It's good if you want to know the date of birth of Herbert Hoover or the atomic weight of helium. It is useless as a reference tool for any issue that is even remotely controversial.
    I asked for a single example of snopes being factually wrong about something and you've ignored the question. Thank you for proving my point. :rofl:
    Sorry to disapppoint you, but yes I agree with their take on John Kerry. I may hate his politics, but I have never once impugned his honorable service to the nation or have ever stated any award he ever received was not fully deserved.