Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Mar 13, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

This looks like it should be an interesting read -- thaks for posting
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

This is certainly close to an ultimate test of nuclear safety, and if one considers that Japan has the reputation of having some of the highest safety standards in the world, this test probably shows the upper end of our ability to build a safe reactor. The article certainly makes some reassuring points, though frankly I think any sane person should be a little worried regardless of how much faith they have in the technology. After all, a reactor has never been tested by a record earthquake and a tsunami.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

I think it probably shows the upper end of our ability to build a safe reactor at that time (whenever it was built).

While we shouldn't have blind faith in technology, that applies to all energy forms, doesn't it? Everything has its risks and its drawbacks, regardless of how high-tech it is.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

It is notable that the reactor is 40 years old and this sort of reactor isn't even built anymore. The new designs are much safer than this sort of reactor.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It seems conceptually, you can't really build a much safer reactor than the ones they have in Japan, but the Japanese are handling the situation, rightfully, with a lot of caution. Even if the reactors do not explode, the question of viability is still raised since they have been rendered useless and are requiring enormous manpower to contend with the threat of a major disaster. That said, it's pretty amazing that an earthquake and massive tsunami may not have been enough to break the reactor housing.
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

A couple of these reactors were set to be decommissioned and replaced due to their age. This will speed up the process. These reactors were built by GE.
  8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When does Pilgrim get decommissioned?
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

So if you read this article the worst case scenario outlined by the Dr is happening they couldn't get enough water to the reactors.

The reports are getting pretty hysterical in the Media (inc fox). If the doc is right the process has been stretched out and the time to cool down the reactors will be months not weeks.

It would be good to know if the radioactivity from the site is Iodine of Cesium? Iodine can be neutralizer in humans with Potassium-Iodine pills. Also it will decay in days. If Cesium, there are real serious problems there.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The worst case scenario is that the reactors have been rendered useless, are demanding enormous resources when resources are needed elsewhere, pose a serious health danger, and are not an easily replaceable source of energy. Indeed, the worse case scenario is for hundreds of thousands of Japanese, perhaps already scarred by the memory of Truman's atrocities, and now scarred by the earthquake and tsunami, are even further traumatized by the fear of radiation poisoning. It's easy to make an argument from the comfort of your own home thousands of miles from Japan, but humans aren't computers and there surely is a severe psychological threat from smoking nuclear plants, which are generating explosions felt miles and miles away.

There are of course even worse case scenarios, but the Japanese seem to have those under control. There is no spinning this into a victory for nuclear energy. I've been for nuclear energy for a long time, but right now I agree there needs to be a freeze. We need to understand the damage, danger, and harm that these plants caused in Japan before proceeding, and you can't simply ignore the emotional harm imo.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

A site with a lot of good technical information.

BraveNewClimate

Up to date status on the conditions at each reactor in the complex.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Start to worry...spoke to a former nuclear power operator, this ain't good....
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Well the is the worst case scenario outlined in the link in the first post. The reactor containment vessels are in tact. The most serious issue now is in the cooling pool for the spent fuel rods in reactor 4 .
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The Japanese nuclear plant situations is a disaster by any measure--with people being forced to evacuate or stay indoors, iodine pills being distributed, workers dying, explosions happening almost daily, radiation being released into the atmosphere (and threatening some of the food chain) and the reactors still out of control. While it could be worse, it's a disaster nonetheless.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

The retired power plant operator that I am with volunteering, just got an email from an active power plant operator... is said simply, "grab your ankles"...

This ain't good and is getting worse.
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

It looks like this plant is toast. They can't get to the spent fuel rods in the #4 reactor building, and as im sure you have read there's no containment. Which makes wonder about the #1+3 reactors there was an explosion that ripped open the top half of the reactors where the spent fuel rod cooling pools was located. In the last several days ive noticed that theres nothing inside, the roof and walls were blown out, you can see right down to what should be the roof of the containment/reactor pressure vessel. But there are no rods to be seen, no pool, nothing. Wondering if the spent fuel rods for that reactor were blown up and scattered?
    Going back to the #4 reactor at this point it looks like someone will have to voluntere for a suicide mission to cool the fuel rod pool down.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I appreciate a guy from MIT throwing in his 2 cents to help quell some fearmongering, but lets all step back for a second...

Fact of the matter is nobody knows if the containment structure has been breached. If its already scaling at a 6 on a scale of 7, its gotta be pretty bad.

Not to throw another wrench in here, but that containment structure is made of steel and concrete, right. Isnt that the same material that 'melted' due to a 5 hour jet fuel burn on 9-11?

this nuclear material is said to be over 2,000 degrees and burning for a week now.

?

none of us are there, or know anything. I'd say I'm worried.
  18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

The last i heard it was 2000 degrees Celcious. It Could burn right through the bottom of the containment vessel. I just got through listening to the head of the NRC, he said that a team of US experts had reached the plant this morning. Based on what THEY said he thinks the situation is Dire. That there is no water in the #4 spent rod pool, and that the radiation is to high for anyone to get close.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Another thing that I find odd in this deal is WHO is telling me that everything is fine. Last night I watched Glenn Beck tell me how silly it is to question the safety of such a facility. He demonstrated how safe the facility was with pots, pans and M&Ms. Then I get this thread and its 'don't worry' mentality...

From the hydrogen explosions, exposed spent fuel rods and lack of cooling, expansion of the radius of evacuation, the movement of the US naval forces away from the radioactivity...The fact that reactor 3 contains plutonium...I'd say that we should be pretty concerned about this.

The news seems to be changing hourly...this is the latest

U.S. raises alarm over Japan nuclear crisis - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com
  20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Ive been following this day and night since it happened. Unlike Chernobyl if this plant goes the radioactive particulate matter will stay in the lower levels of the atmosphere. It will affect Japan primarily, but WE should have nothing to worry about. Chernobyl's reactor core blew up literally, the fallout reached the upper atmosphere and spread out over europe. Again thats not the case here, so don't bother buying any Iodine tablets on the street corner.