PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why having control of destiny not a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the OP 3 times now and I honestly don't even understand what he's trying to say.

Well in support of this topic...

It's, by definition, impossible to control "destiny" or "fate".

Destiny may very well have the Jets winning next Sunday, the Dolphins can't control that.

youre right. instead of knowing that if you win your games you make the playoffs, Id much rather know that i had to win my games PLUS I need help from another team...come on, you sound like Bob Costas

youre right. instead of knowing that if you win your games you make the playoffs, Id much rather know that i had to win my games PLUS I need help from another team...come on, you sound like Bob Costas

Thank you for your reply, but putting words in my mouth by saying something like that is not true, unlike what I had posted. Of course clinching the division by now is better. I'm not sure where I indicated otherwise. My point, as I repeat again, was to say that although people were complaining that the Cowboys lost, which sucks for us, there is a silver lining in that they demonstrated that having control of one's destiny is NOT actually controlling one's destiny; they have to win games first, and they failed. The Jets then confirmed my point, though they didn't have to win to show I was right. My point was that although we're not in an ideal situation, having non-awesome teams . Sure, we had something like only a 20% chance of winning, but that assumed that each outcome was as likely to happen as any other. Of course, Jets, Cowboys, and other teams are just not as good as the Patriots in December, so the Patriots had more than 20% chance of winning all along.

I had forgotten my password for 9 months and so I was unable to post up until a few days ago, so I have to apologize that my posts didn't make sense, because I couldn't post them at the time I actually thought them up. And I have been following the conversations, but again, couldn't post until a couple of days ago when I gained access to the e-mail address I registered with. Thanks!

Yes, the original post was completely obvious and had almost no substance to it. But a few days ago the same poster posted the "Matt vs Matt: which Matt will have a better game?" thread. So unbelievably this thread may represent progress for him. :rolleyes:

In the Matt Matt thread, I predicted their Matt would play by the third quarter (I think.) So I was correct there too.

By the way, thanks for running the predict-the-score contests. I won 2 of them last year, and will try win again to this upcoming week.

The OP may as well have said........."Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Maybe that's why the Pats play it "one game at a time"

I'd much rather be in control than scoreboard watching

Just want to reply. If my post was so obvious, I'm not sure why there were so many posts that our playoff chances were done after Cowboys lost to Baltimore, or even the week before.

It's called emotion. In case you haven't noticed, it runs rampant here. :D

Just want to reply. If my post was so obvious, I'm not sure why there were so many posts that our playoff chances were done after Cowboys lost to Baltimore, or even the week before. While the Cowboys loss hurt is, it did show that just because the team had to simply win three games to guarantee a playoff spot, it didn't mean they would actually come out like the want to make the playoffs. People were starting to assume that teams like the Cowboys and Jets would actually show up to each of their games just because they could "easily" get to the playoffs by winning their last games.

And of course, the Jets proved it again today. :)

and you think this explanation justifies a "Why having control of destiny not a factor" thread title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back