PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why have we heard nothing about Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion to increase your popularity on this board - avoid diminishing the intellectual capacities of your fellow Patriots fans. I understand the cap. Majored in economics. Understand the argument for keeping him.
Another suggestion - resurrect a Danny Amendola thread.

Amendola could agree to lower his salaries for 2015/2016/2017 years in return for a small signing bonus (4 to 5 million).
Don't really care about popularity to be honest, nobody diminished anything there are people on the board who do not understand cap and economics that is not a shortcoming it is just something certain people do not have knowledge in like I don't know how to run a front loader, if someone says I don't know how I'm not going to feel diminished.

As far as Amendola goes it's not just him it is any player that has a sunk cost, you do not throw money at it with the hope that it turns around. You know that Miguel, I have read posts where you have said that exact thing for some reason this situation you are choosing to take a different stance, and I don't really understand that all.

Cutting Wilfork saves 8-8.5 million, depending on if it's a post-June or not, correct?

When a high paid veteran's "best playmaking seasons" were five or six years ago, it's time to move on. When a high paid veteran's skill set no longer fits the scheme a team is running, it's time to move on. I am quite confident that the New England Patriots can be the worst defense in the NFL against short yardage running plays without Wilfork on the roster.

Renegotiating is just putting off the inevitable. It's time. Time to draft again on the d-line like last year. Time to redeploy some cap dollars (to, for example, Derrell Revis)

When a high paid veteran's "best playmaking seasons" were five or six years ago, it's time to move on. When a high paid veteran's skill set no longer fits the scheme a team is running, it's time to move on. I am quite confident that the New England Patriots can be the worst defense in the NFL against short yardage running plays without Wilfork on the roster.

Renegotiating is just putting off the inevitable. It's time. Time to draft again on the d-line like last year. Time to redeploy some cap dollars (to, for example, Derrell Revis)
They weren't his best seasons were 2011 and 2012, he missed most 2013 with an injury.

I agree about VW. I think they can survive if they just draft right. Alot of people are holding out hope with easley. I dont feel confident about it which is why they should draft two tackles in the draft.

Cutting Wilfork saves 8-8.5 million, depending on if it's a post-June or not, correct?

No, it has to be now...they owe him 4.5 next week, I believe.

I agree about VW. I think they can survive if they just draft right. Alot of people are holding out hope with easley. I dont feel confident about it which is why they should draft two tackles in the draft.
He is not the same type of player VW is so it dosent matter since he fits a different role

The simple fact of the matter is that the Pats need the $8 million in cap space. There's no way they pay the $4.5 million roster bonus to Wilfork on Monday. When they don't pay him the option, he's a free agent.

Now, what price would make sense to offer a 34 year old nose tackle veteran free agent? Vet minimum? Something in that range. Why insult the guy?

The best solution is for Vince to hold a press conference in Foxboro on Friday and announce his retirement. Next best solution is to simply not pick up the option bonus. He's not going to be the only formerly great player cut loose from NFL teams this week. Haggling over some insulting renegotiation option (aka "asking him to take a pay cut") seems like the worst possible ending. We all know how Vince is going to react to that one. Let the man go out on top with respect and a ring. His deal last year was structured as a one-last-hurrah deal. He got every dime of incentives and a frickin' Super Bowl ring. Pretty frickin' good last-hurrah, if you ask me. Is it ever going to end better than that?

Last edited:
I wanna see some type of restructure with mayo as well. He cant catch a break with these injuries.

What incentives are you talking about?
Super Bowl win would be LTBE and not lower his cap number.

Cut Wilfork so his prior contract is history.

Let him check out the open market & offer him a number that will drastically lower his cap number for 2015 & incentives you can push forward to the 2016 cap.

If he gets a better offer, then wish him the best & tell him he will always be a Patriot.

When you think of Willie McGinnest, do you think of him as a former Browns player?

Willie & Vince will always be Patriots.

You have to keep an eye on what the dirty birds will do with ngata when it comes to the wilfork situation.

Let him check out the open market & offer him a number that will drastically lower his cap number for 2015 & incentives you can push forward to the 2016 cap.
What incentives would they be? Incentives would be based on 2014 performance. Does not matter if Wilfork was cut or not.

The problem with this draft is that it drops off very quickly after the middle to late second round imo. Of love to see them get Goldman at 32 but have fonts he will be there. After that there will be Carl Davis and Michal Bennett and it drops of pretty sharp after that. So if they can get one in the first or move back and take one mid second they should be able to get a good prospect, after that it will be more project than a player who could really continue this coming season.

I'm still holding out some hope that Jordan Phillips will drop to 32, but Denver letting Knighton walk is probably the end of that.

Wilfork is due a $4 million bonus by March. The $4.5m number is including his $500K 46-man active roster bonus.

Gotta luv the Wilfork family. I think that Vince is a smart guy and unlike many has ensured their wellbeing no matter what. If his days as a player are over I hope he thinks back to several years ago talking about his dad & diabetes and gets himself on that post football health regimen like Tedy Bruschi. I think he will. He always worked hard off season swimming, a great exercise. In any case I hope he works to avoid his dad's fate.

You don't want to push cap money for a 34 year old nose tackle two years into the future. That's how you get in cap jail. With players at Wilfork's age, you want minimal dead money hits so you can cut them at any time. Like right now.....

I'm still holding out some hope that Jordan Phillips will drop to 32, but Denver letting Knighton walk is probably the end of that.

I am hoping Goldman will be there.

You don't want to push cap money for a 34 year old nose tackle two years into the future. That's how you get in cap jail. With players at Wilfork's age, you want minimal dead money hits so you can cut them at any time. Like right now.....
With players like Wilfork you really want the cap hit and cash hit to be as close to each other as possible each year.

Phillips is a talent but he is very raw he would be best suited to spend a year behind a player such as Wilfork. Releasing Wilfork outright should be worst case scenario. He is still one of the top NT in the NFL even in a diminished capacity.

I am hoping Goldman will be there.
Goldman is a very intriguing player I'm not sure he is a nose tackle though, he has the size but he spent most of his time at the 5tech during his college career.

Shelton would be ideal but he will likely be long gone despite a less than stellar combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back