Why hasn't Poole been cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
PATs let McGinest go before FA so he coulld be ready to go at the
"FA Starts" gun. This was done out of respect for Willie they said.

Why didn't they let Poole go? I'm sure they respect him also.
Maybe it means they plan on keeping Ty Poole.
Any other reasons why they haven't cut Poole yet?

In time Poole will be history.....

I had been thinking about that as well. I can’t see them bringing him
back, Just a total waste of $$$ and roster spot. But Pool kept them guessing and waiting the past 2 years while he was hurt/coming back/not coming back/taking a year off with a sprained ankle, so maybe the Pats are turning the tables and making him do a little waiting and wondering before kicking him to the curb.

JR4 said:

If showing Willie respect was the reason for the release, then they should have released him the 1st day possible - February 23rd.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
If showing Willie respect was the reason for the release, then they should have released him the 1st day possible - February 23rd.

From recent Globe article:

“I don’t want to speak for Bill (Belichick), but I think this is proof of the great relationship between the club and Willie,†Kraft said. “Out of respect to the player, you let him go before the league year starts. I’m sure Bill has communicated to Willie how we feel and we’ll see where it takes us. It was really done more out of respect for Willie than disrespect

Last edited:
Hoss said:
I had been thinking about that as well. I can’t see them bringing him
back, Just a total waste of $$$ and roster spot. But Pool kept them guessing and waiting the past 2 years while he was hurt/coming back/not coming back/taking a year off with a sprained ankle, so maybe the Pats are turning the tables and making him do a little waiting and wondering before kicking him to the curb.

If Poole can stay healthy, he can be quite productive. I thought he did a fine job in coverage before the injuries started piling up. Just my opinion.
He's as good as Gay.

CrazyDave said:
If Poole can stay healthy, he can be quite productive. I thought he did a fine job in coverage before the injuries started piling up. Just my opinion.
He's as good as Gay.

Agreed. At his price, if he's back to being healthy and can become a starter again then it's worth it to keep him. We're not exactly deep at DB (hence the re-signings of Artrell Hawkins and Hank Poteat).

JR4 said:

Willie is free to sign with any team the second he is cut. Releasing a player allows him to sign with any team since his contract has been terminated. Players set to become free agents do not see their contracts end until tonight.

He's probably worth keeping thru camp given our cap position and the new CBA $$$ as the only difference is the $500K roster bonus being paid. His agent recently insisted he is now blissfully healthy, so the Pats may be willing to test that contention for a price given the market for corners.

smg93 said:
Brokeback anyone? :eek:

i'm dissappointed it took 65mins for a brokeback joke..... :D

JD10367 said:
Agreed. At his price, if he's back to being healthy and can become a starter again then it's worth it to keep him. We're not exactly deep at DB (hence the re-signings of Artrell Hawkins and Hank Poteat).

And if grandma had nuts she'd be grandpa. Look, Poole CANT stay healthy. When are people going to figure that out?

There's no reason to cut Poole until the Pats need his cap room. Think of Poole as a bank savings account for cap dollars.

McGinnest was a different story. He had a $3.5 million roster bonus due sometime this month.

Poole is soft. His hearts not in football. He's just here to collect a paycheck.

We can wait until 3/15 because we don't need the cap space right now. Maybe BB is waiting to see who we can pickup as a replacement before doing it.

Miguel has Poole due a roster bonus of 500K - recent calibration from Mike Reiss number. If the Patriots are going to cut Poole it stands to reason that it would be before the roster bonus is paid. The trick is - when is his bonus due ? Maybe Miguel has some concrete information, but as I search around the net it seems as tho much of the time the roster bonuses are due within 1 - 3 days after the start of the year. However, there are also numerous mentions for various players where their roster bonuses are due in the middle of March a couple weeks after the start of the NFL year. There was even one mention about a roster bonus due in July. So it's difficult to figure what Poole's situation might be.

LOL! I've been hoping he wont be cut, I know I know, he's injury plagued he hardly played two games in the last two seasons but supposedly he is really healthy now, his agent says so at least. I really liked him after the 03 season, he did a great job. If he is actually healthy I hope he isnt cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back