PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Brady often struggled against Denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If there's any team I cringe at when I see the schedule it's Denver. For some reason this team has often had problems against them -- moreso than far better teams such as the Colts.

Anyone know what it is specifically that has caused Brady problems?

If there's any team I cringe at when I see the schedule it's Denver. For some reason this team has often had problems against them -- moreso than far better teams such as the Colts.

Anyone know what it is specifically that has caused Brady problems?

I would go with Mike Shanahan. And Dungy had Shanahan's number. And for the most part, Belichick had Dungy's number. Not as much coaching as it was a combination of coaching, schemes and personnel needed to employ those schemes producing match-up problems.

This Denver team is not that Denver team.

I'd go with what MassPats38 said, and add that during those years not only did Denver have a good team, but they also had a good defense. By comparison the Colts, even though they were always very good, did not pose problems for Brady and the Pats until their defense got better.

Thinner air at Invesco throws off Brady's passes. :D

Last edited:
For the games in Denver, the altitude is a factor, I tell you, and seriously. Not just in stamina, though that is a factor that is compounded by travel. Everybody knows the kickers kick greatest distances, their ranges get extended 10% if the weather is good due to the altitude.

That also means that a QB and WR hooking up on a 20-yard pass pattern that they have worked out to perfection, suddenly at altitude it becomes a 22-yard pass even if it was thrown the same way.

I know it sounds weird but in a game of inches this makes a difference. Plus Shanahan was a good coach and Mile High is usually rockin' and gives a good 12-man boost (and more if you include the effect that a crowd has on referees)

Last edited:
Because of Mike Shannahan knowing how to game plan him, bottom line.

BB coached there and says the altitude thing is vastly overstated at 5K feet.

Shannahan's earlier defenses and his zone blocking opportunistic offenses gave us fits. Those days are no more. However, Champ still has good instincts and can sill be a thorn in Tommy's side.

This game will be unique in that it will be as if we're going up against each others offenses like in practice, only Tommy is running ours and Orton is running theirs. They've also spent a lot of time practicing against their own 3-4...something we did too for years but aren't running at the moment.

Good coaching and good players. I think it's as easy as that.

Not only has he lost in Denver, but Brady has lost to Denver twice in New England ('02, '06). For some reason, Denver's defense was able to match up well with New England's offense.

For the games in Denver, the altitude is a factor, I tell you, and seriously. Not just in stamina, though that is a factor that is compounded by travel. Everybody knows the kickers kick greatest distances, their ranges get extended 10% if the weather is good due to the altitude.

That also means that a QB and WR hooking up on a 20-yard pass pattern that they have worked out to perfection, suddenly at altitude it becomes a 22-yard pass even if it was thrown the same way.

I know it sounds weird but in a game of inches this makes a difference. Plus Shanahan was a good coach and Mile High is usually rockin' and gives a good 12-man boost (and more if you include the effect that a crowd has on referees)

Interesting theory but wouldn't the Broncos then have problems every time they don't play at home?

1. Champ Bailey. 2. Patrick Pass's hammy.

The altitude is a factor on athletic performance in general. People say it's not but if it's only a few percent, that's a lot.

The best way to acclimate is to get there as early as possible, like now, and then by game time they will be largely adjusted.

17% less oxygen than at sea level...that's nothing to be sneezed at.

Most people who say "you don't notice it"...yeah, you don't notice it if you're doing nothing, if you're exerting yourself, it's a different story. And the advice to get there late and you won't notice it is completely WRONG. Your body makes adjustements but it takes a few days, ie more hemoglobbin, etc...your performance is affected immediately.

And it also affects people differently, some are more sensitive than others.

I would be curiuos as to Denver's home record vs. away record vs. a typical team over the past 10 years.

So you are saying the ball flies a little further than intended?

ChrisHanson.V.jpg

Just great. :ugh:

Broncos home and away records as well as results against the Pats since Invesco Field opened in 2001:

2001: 6-2 home, 2-6 away - Broncos 31, Pats 20 in Denver
2002: 5-3 home, 4-4 away - Broncos 24, Pats 16 in Foxboro
2003: 6-2 home, 4-4 away - Pats 30, Broncos 26 in Denver
2004: 6-2 home, 4-4 away
2005: 8-0 home, 5-3 away - Broncos 28, Pats 20 in Denver
(also a 27-13 Broncos win in Denver in the playoffs)
2006: 4-4 home, 5-3 away - Broncos 17, Pats 7 in Foxboro
2007: 5-3 home, 2-6 away
2008: 4-4 home, 4-4 away - Pats 41, Broncos 7 in Foxboro

I would go with Mike Shanahan. And Dungy had Shanahan's number. And for the most part, Belichick had Dungy's number. Not as much coaching as it was a combination of coaching, schemes and personnel needed to employ those schemes producing match-up problems.

This Denver team is not that Denver team.

Dungy won 4 out his last 5 against BB, including he AFC title game and I believe they split all time.

Now if a guy splits with you, and beats you 4 out of 5, how exactly does BB have Dungy's number? BB beat Dungy once since what, 2004?

Just saying BB must have forgotten Dungy's number if he ever had it.

Broncos home and away records as well as results against the Pats since Invesco Field opened in 2001:

2001: 6-2 home, 2-6 away - Broncos 31, Pats 20 in Denver
2002: 5-3 home, 4-4 away - Broncos 24, Pats 16 in Foxboro
2003: 6-2 home, 4-4 away - Pats 30, Broncos 26 in Denver
2004: 6-2 home, 4-4 away
2005: 8-0 home, 5-3 away - Broncos 28, Pats 20 in Denver
(also a 27-13 Broncos win in Denver in the playoffs)
2006: 4-4 home, 5-3 away - Broncos 17, Pats 7 in Foxboro
2007: 5-3 home, 2-6 away
2008: 4-4 home, 4-4 away - Pats 41, Broncos 7 in Foxboro

wow, just wow. The home/away speak for themselves.

They were simply a better team in the game Watson tackled Bailey at the Goal line.

Incredible home/away stats... maybe there is something to the thin air theories.

If Cassel and Co. could put up 41 last year against a Denver team led by Cutler who is a better QB than Orton and of course Brady who is 1,000,000X better than Cassel,I certainly am not afraid of the Orton/McDaniels combo - Shanahan/Cutler was better

I am no one blames the altitude if the Patriots lose...which I don't expect them to

Last edited:
Dungy won 4 out his last 5 against BB, including he AFC title game and I believe they split all time.

Now if a guy splits with you, and beats you 4 out of 5, how exactly does BB have Dungy's number? BB beat Dungy once since what, 2004?

Just saying BB must have forgotten Dungy's number if he ever had it.

In 2003 Belichick beat Dungy in the regular season and playoffs.
ditto for 2004. The thing as to why the colts have done better since
then is that they get all the calls from the refs. Especially since Polian
made so much effort to emphasize the rules of the DB's. It must help to have your team president be the guy in charge of the nfl competition committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back