PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has AD struggled with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everything you wrote (except the "awesome" part).

If I can watch every game from the god forsaken Jiangsu province, surely Tony can figure out a way to watch from god forsaken North Carolina province.

Aye- not nearly as extreme here, but I live in California and I have seen all but one Pats game over the last 2 seasons (I missed the SF game this past year). It's not that hard.

I decided to become a communist. North Korea is too cold and Cuba is too hot. So that left China.

What about Washington DC?

Whoops wrong forum. Errr... I don't think AD has struggled either.

In some respects it's easier out of the US because then you can buy the yahoo! gamepass and stream that. On the other hand, not many sports bars here.

I don't think that AD has been a dissapointment but he has been no world beater either,I would say he is a solid player but not a guy that takes over a game like you would see from some of the top LBs like a healthy Merriman Ect:

I do hope that the alleged 'Former Ravens' defense jinx (there is a known jinx that former Ravens defensive players from the 2000 team don't do much elsewhere) goes on to Bart Scott now in NY

I don't think that AD has been a dissapointment but he has been no world beater either,I would say he is a solid player but not a guy that takes over a game like you would see from some of the top LBs like a healthy Merriman Ect:

I do hope that the alleged 'Former Ravens' defense jinx (there is a known jinx that former Ravens defensive players from the 2000 team don't do much elsewhere) goes on to Bart Scott now in NY

But rex Ryan is the head coach of the Jest so i think that they will mimic the ravens defense although i hope your right and hes a bust at the jest!

This has been discussed ad infinitum in the past, and one issue brought up frequently is the piss poor secondary.. you cannot just let the LB's go if the CB's cannot pick up the receivers well.. this year with the addition of Bodden, Springs and Wheatley coming off an injury it will be a much different team..

If the LB's are always in coverage, because of the lack of confidence in the CB's there can not be an effective pass rush..

We will not be near the bottom this year in Red Zone D.. AD is fine.. he plays a significant role, very well in this D..

Last edited:
While we wait to see if we get Peppers I have a question for fellow fans.
Why has AD struggled with us. I know he was hurt last year but he hasn't made the impact we thought from a All-Pro. Have you been happy with his play,was he used wrong; do you expect more from him this year?
thanks

Struggle? Are you watching the same games that I am. He broke through big time last year, and looked great. It was too bad he got hurt, but up until that point he played at a high level.

AD has started exactly one season (16 regular season games) at OLB after being moved there because of injuries going into the Buffalo game in 2007. He has 11 sacks in those 16 games at OLB.

He hasn't struggled at all.

Adalius Thomas was a pro bowl OLB for Baltimore in 2006. He was solid for us but didn't match that productivity in 2007. Part of that was adapting to the Pats' complex playbook and schemes. He publicly admitted that the learning curve was greater than he expected. Part was probably moving inside to SILB for much of the season. Part was probably injury related.

He looked much more comfortable last year until he got injured. Overally, he has been excellent but not quite as good as I had hoped for when we signed him. I expect greater things this year with Mayo more seasoned, especially if we get a stud like Peppers opposite AD.

He was solid I'd say, to be sure. Not sexy, but I think most would agree that the
sex appeal has been missing from our D for quite a while, no?

If I remember correctly the Pats defense scored something like 6 TDs in 2007.

A.Thomas INT RET vs SD
R.Colvin FUM RET vs WAS
A.Samuel INT RET vs PHI
E.Wilson INT RET vs NYJ
E.Hobbs FUM RET at BUF

am I missing one?

Adalius Thomas : Chad Jackson / Roosevelt Colvin : Reche Caldwell

My whole point was that we need a better PASS rusher in this year draft so I was throwing this out there for some talk. It seems like we didn't sack the QB as much as we wanted last year.
Thanks for the replies

There have been numerous threads on this subject. Many in the last couple weeks as people try to do mocks and get the Pats an OLB, though ILB is a bigger issue.

Adalius Thomas : Chad Jackson / Roosevelt Colvin : Reche Caldwell

I think I understood the clock chicken fridge post better than this post.

he made a few --- I forget the actual game, but there was one sack where he dragged the qb, and I think a blocker, about 20 yds into the backfield.
that was freaking awesome, if anybody remembers the play I mean.

what you have to bear in mind is that he's played a good chunk of the time on the inside, and you just won't see those sexy olb sack #'s from in there, especially if they've got him dropping into coverage instead of blitz attacking, like you might see in balt.

that play was against Favre and a RB the first time we played them........he chased them down and threw both down at around the GB 5 yard line..........absolutely hilarious....

Not sure what the original poster is thinking...I think AD when healthy has been pretty solid.......we are playing a different D than Balt played with MUCH different players than Balt has had..........I am glad AD is here and expect him to have a good year this year....

My whole point was that we need a better PASS rusher in this year draft so I was throwing this out there for some talk. It seems like we didn't sack the QB as much as we wanted last year.
Thanks for the replies

We DO need a MUCH better pash rush this year.......we haven't had one for awhile now......Peppers would give us that.....not sure if that will happen though....

A.Thomas INT RET vs SD

An INT RET for a 65 TD where AD outran two Bolts WRs. He played most of that game from the ILB spot and on a play earlier in the game showed off his strength by bending Olivea backwards at the LOS. Olivea was forced out of the game and never returned.

Prior to Colvin being put on IR some time near Thanksgiving in '07, AD was the best ILB on the squad and even managed to tally something like four sacks prior to being forced outside due to the loss of Rosey.

Even with the injuries, he's been worth his salary cap hits during each of the two years he's been a Patriot. Said this, he still needs to make more game changing plays for that to be true beginning this year and especially in 2010 and 2011.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back