Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why H1N1 is so horrific....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 3, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Second time in a week, this has happened... last week to a 12 year old girl in an exclusive private school... this weekend to a 14 year old... it happens really fast, they just started the Vaccinations yesterday in RI..

Do not understand why this is so partisan, yesterday Drudge had crap about the wrong child getting vaccinations, which will only serve to create more fearmongering...

H1N1 suspected in child’s death | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Last weeks episode.. it happens fast... and sounds unpredictable..

R.I. Health Department confirms that swine flu killed 12-year-old girl | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Yes its so horrific because it doesn't kill the usual suspects like 90 year old grandma. No one would raise an eyebrow if grandma came down with it and died, people would say "well she had a long life" but when it kills kids thats a different story.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Do not get the Drudge angle, though, as he is usually subtle as a freight train.. yesterday was all over the shot given out without parental permission.. is it big bad gov't? Or create hysteria over the school's power?

Did not seem to be a partisan issue... guess my naivete.

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

These guys Drudge et al have absolutly no shame, in a time of crisis like this politics should be dropped, people should come together, the con rt. is morally bankrupt.
    Whats wrong with people like drudge limbaugh beck etc. Its not that they are "entertainers" is that the people they "entertain" think its real, what their saying is the truth.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +491 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Stories of young children dying like that are sad enough to bring tears to my eyes...yes, reading that made me cry. I'm not too macho to admit that.

I'm changing my position on the vaccinations. This is one time parents have no choice but to trust their doctors. I'm not a parent, but I couldn't go on living if my child died because of a choice I made.

As far as adults go, we can all make our own choices and live or die with them.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

I have a 4 mth old grandson and we are scared to death of this flu.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

My kids had the flu - probably THE flu - a couple of weeks ago. It didn't bother me at all. Rest and plenty of liquids like usual. And, no, they're not getting the Frankenstein vaccine.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

It's scary, I know. But keep in mind that 70 - 80% of the children who have died from swine flu so far have all had pre-existing health conditions which made them more vunerable than the average child.

Some kids will not get the flu at all. Most of the kids who do get the flu will not get anything other than the flu. They'll be sick (maybe even sicker than hell) for a few days and then they'll bounce back without any further complications. Only a very few of those children who get the flu will die from the flu. The odds of a child dying from the flu is even further decreased by a large percentage if the child who contacts the flu doesn't have an underlying health problem to begin with.

Swine Flu Deaths Among Youths Rise as Epidemic Spreads - washingtonpost.com

Common sense will help alot more than panic.....keep small kids away from crowds if at all possible, stay away from the child yourself if you are sick or feeling sick, practice good hand washing frequently. Wash all fruits and vegetables from the store, you have no idea who already touched it before you brought it home. If and when the shot becomes available for your child, by all means, get it unless you're terrified beyond all rationality. So far there have been no complications from this particular vaccine and hopefully there will not be any in the future. The odds of dying from the flu are small - but the odds of dying from the flu vaccine are even smaller.

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The rate of death is 5 times greater of dying from the normal flu, which still isn't much. I've seen it put at .5% or 1%. Also if you're not pregnant or overweight you're in better shape (npi) than other people.

The vaccine is perfectly safe, though, and preliminary studies are showing that it's effective. E.g., we've learned that pregnant women only need 1 dose of the inhaled vaccine. The chances of complications from the vaccine are actually far lower than the chances of dying from the flu, making the vaccine a mathematical no-brainer.

10. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

How can you say perfectly safe! It hasn't been out long enough to have any feedback or backlash. Lots of fluids and rest with a good fever reducer is a much better mathmatical certainty than exposing yourself to this vaccine. Now if your in a high risk group like pregnant women I could see gettting the vaccine. "THEY", want you to get the vaccine! They want you to need them.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Because it's formulated and made in the same way that hundreds of milions of other flu vaccines have been made over the last decade+. Also because there's no data at all showing it to be a problem. None. All you have otherwise is fear, surmise, and mindless hysteria.

Data, please.

Does the aluminum foil ever cut your scalp?

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

10,853 adults and children received H1N1 influenza vaccines during clinical trials across the United States. None of the study participants experienced side effects more serious than soreness and localized swelling from a needlestick. A mild and short-lived fever may also follow a flu vaccination.

Swine Flu Deaths Among Youths Rise as Epidemic Spreads - washingtonpost.com

Tested in thousands of healthy adults, children and pregnant women in the United States and around the world, the vaccine to protect people against infection with the H1N1 influenza virus has proven both safe and effective.

Swine flu vaccine proven safe as cases and deaths from disease mount

And you know this how and can back up this claim with what?

13. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

You make me giggle....Thanks for that.

Dr. Strudel says it's perfectly safe! Ah I feel much better now, let me run out and get in line for a vaccine that they rushed to put together......

14. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

Didn't you work in a doctors office or hospital ER. Fever reducer, lot's of fluids and rest. Those are obvious. Of course you need to know the warning signs for when it's time to get emergency help. So of course you can go to the CDC page.

There are certain groups whom are in high risk groups, those people should get vaccinated. I'm just going to go out on my lawn and pray I don't get it.

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I reiterate, data please. Otherwise all you have is ignorance.

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

HMMM, another neo...hey don't get the shot its really ah....dangerous, yeah it really hasn't been tested yet its all a government conspiracy, the whole thing. Think about it if they can forge Obamas birth certificate and plant his BC in the papers forty plus years ago and then orchestrate his election they could have started the whole swine flue scare to get conservatives to get the shot and die there by eliminating competition at the polls. So yeah its a hoax don't get it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Clam Juice & Vodka, you'll never get sick......

do what you want

18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Harry you are a sick man...i like that about you. :singing:

19. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

I actually agree with you......

20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I have no reason to think there's any conspiracy, in fact I have no doubt there isn't. However I have no reason to trust this administration on anything. I have read at least two seemingly trustworthy stories on rare, severe repercussions from this, I don't think it's been made or tested well and I am not a believer in flu vaccines to begin with.