PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

why giving up a second rounder for Welker was Genuis!!!

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Was Welker worth a 2nd & 7th Pick?

• yes

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • no

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, you're way off on Welker being our best receiver. Honestly, don't tell me something about the Dolphins. I didn't miss 1 of the 960 minutes of their season last year. (Haven't done so for more than 3 years.)

Again Ginn is not our slot receiver. He will be moved around but mostly running the deep posts and flys from the flank. And I could care less about catches, Ginn will bring us yards after the catch and TDs. He will smoke Wes in yards and TDs next year, no doubt about that.

I don't care if he's in a boot now, games are won in September, not May.
I Agree, everytime I hear an anylist say they wouldn't draft a guy that high because of an injury that will delay the start of the season, I think that is ridiculous. If you think he's gonna be great in this league for years to come who cares about 6 games this year. esp. if your rebuilding like the dolphins.

But i still don't think he's worth a top ten pick.

Ginn's speed is unqestionable, but his route running is a Question, maybe he can learn that, but the thing that would have me worried is i saw alot of footage when they would throw him wr screens, and his agility isn't that good, he couldn't make people miss 1 on 1.

I love how whenever someone tries to criticize the Welker trade they make arguments about how he's not a pro-bowl, #1 receiver home run threat. No kidding he's not! What he is is a proven solid NFL receiver who excels in the areas of getting open against zone coverage and running clean routes. Do those attributes sound familiar? They should because pretty much every successful Patriots receiver has had them in the Belichick era. Add the fact that he was a decent returner on a Dolphin's team that had horrible special teams and he projects to compete for the returning duties for us. Look at the deal he signed, he is not making decent but far from crazy money.

Welker should be a good value player who projects to fit very well in the Pat's system. With the problems that they had last year in the passing game there is every right to be excited about him. Will he break receiving records or score 10 TDs? Probably not, but if he can come in and catch a few key passes for first downs and give us a threat at returner then he is exactly what the team needed. This is the kind of player Pat's fans have learned to get excited about, because we know its not about the stats for your #1 receiver, its about players doing their jobs and winning ballgames. So Aqua you can feel free to tell us about how we are too excited over what you consider a marginal player, we know what we're getting and we're very happy about it.

Last edited:
Aquaman,

I was saying Welker is a proven player in the NFL, he has produced on this level well enough to have the pats give away a 2nd and 7th pick.

And he's looked at to be a 3rd wideout and produce on special teams, no one is calling him our saviour. (hopefully T. Ginn is gonna be your saviour. #9 pick are you serious) Anyways no one is over hyping him.
We save that for Moss ( if it's possible to overhype the most talented WR EVER!!!)

P.S. I enjoy reading your posts by the way your entertaining, sorry about all those guy who pick on you.
But that dolphin video was kinda funny.

I understand brother man. I hear what you're saying, Welker will play good for you guys. But I just want to reitterate, that the Dolphins won't miss him and he want be the pro bowler some seem to be elevating him to on this board.

Thanks man, I don't worry about those guys. They're not worth it. I still get good football talk with guys like you, Zippo and Russo (and others.)

I Agree, everytime I hear an anylist say they wouldn't draft a guy that high because of an injury that will delay the start of the season, I think that is ridiculous. If you think he's gonna be great in this league for years to come who cares about 6 games this year. esp. if your rebuilding like the dolphins.

But i still don't think he's worth a top ten pick.

Ginn's speed is unqestionable, but his route running is a Question, maybe he can learn that, but the thing that would have me worried is i saw alot of footage when they would throw him wr screens, and his agility isn't that good, he couldn't make people miss 1 on 1.

Yeah but he won't be missing any games. He may miss some training camp but that's at very worst. He'll be on the field August 11 when we open the preseason with Jacksonville.

You don't like his ability to shake tackles? If that's the case, watch this video. Some of these things just put me in complete awe. He beats several guys 1 on 1 in this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4mmbbPKL3uc

Last edited:
I think you are wrong about Wes and Booker and yardage. If I recall, Welker, Chambers and Booker were all within 100 yards of each other in receiving yards. Or was that total yards? You're a Dolphin fan. Would you mind posting last year's total yards for me, please? Thanks.

He will smoke Wes in yards and TDs next year, no doubt about that.
Daring statement. Let's see:
your #9 pick as opposed to our 60th pick

So how much better do you think Ginn will be? I think we have much better value because we only used a 60th pick and yours was a top-10.

I'd say that if Welker caught half as many balls for a third as many yards, I'd be happy. That would be great value for welker compared to The Mighty Ginn.

Actually, if Welker gets one-quarter the yards (given that Ginn is your #1 and Welker, as you say, is our fourth or fifth WR only in on four- and five-receiver sets), it would be a value victory for Welker.

And that doesn't even take into consideration that Ginn, as you say, will go deep and Welker is a slot guy.

If we didn't have Moss and Stallworth and Jackson and Washington, Welker would probably smoke Ginn in all receiving categories. The problem is exactly as you stated:
Aqua4Ever04 said:
I think Wes is looking at being your 4th or 5th receiver.
He will not be on the field very much, I'm afraid.

You know, I jsut realized. We'll be running the ball all fourth quarter killing the clock, and you guys will be passing every down because you'll be behind. That should help Ginn out in the ol' stat department.

Good luck fending off the Bills for third place in the AFCE.

Again, you're way off on Welker being our best receiver. Honestly, don't tell me something about the Dolphins. I didn't miss 1 of the 960 minutes of their season last year. (Haven't done so for more than 3 years.)

Again Ginn is not our slot receiver. He will be moved around but mostly running the deep posts and flys from the flank. And I could care less about catches, Ginn will bring us yards after the catch and TDs. He will smoke Wes in yards and TDs next year, no doubt about that.

I don't care if he's in a boot now, games are won in September, not May.
The problem is your an outsider, you just don't understand the "Patriot Way". We don't value guys by how many yards and td's they have. Look at Moss for example his true value to this team won't be about stats it will be about how he opens up the rest of the field for our other weapons, so maybe Ted Ginn could out produce Moss this season (doubt it) but if it happend it doesn't tell you about his true value.

Exp. look at Troy Brown, he wasn't drafted like Welker, that year in the draft we took a WR in the second round (Vincent Brisby) he never really caught on. Looking back on it, even 3 or 4 years into Browns tenure, no team would have given us a 2nd round pick for him, Only one year was he really our best WR and that was by default. But what he's done as a Patriot (esp. the little Things that don't show up on a stat sheet) has been far more valuable than any 2nd round pick.

Its not just about Stats.

And I think alot of Pats fans see a Little Troy Brown in Wes Welker.
This team isn't about Hype, it never has been.
Just Ask the St. Louis Rams of 2001.:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye