PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Fantasy Sucks -- ESPN's Top 75 Def. Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

the taildragger

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Seymour is not among the top SEVENTY-FIVE defensive players according to fantasy stat geek Scott Engel.

It could potentially be insider material so I'm not authorized to post the full list, but here's a link to Finheaven where some irresponsible copyrighter exposed it for all the world to see (I can't verify it for accuracy, but it wasn't leaked here)...
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=143602

That's because in FF, defensive lineman don't get you points, DBs and LBs do. That's no reason to hate FF.

the taildragger said:
Seymour is not among the top SEVENTY-FIVE defensive players according to fantasy stat geek Scott Engel.

It could potentially be insider material so I'm not authorized to post the full list, but here's a link to Finheaven where some irresponsible copyrighter exposed it for all the world to see (I can't verify it for accuracy, but it wasn't leaked here)...
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=143602

A few things. Engle doesn't have ANY Pats player on his list. And he shouldn't. The Pats defense last year, until Hawkins came along and helped to solidify it (along with Bruschi and vrabel moving inside and Seymour being healthy) was pathetic. The Pats didn't get a lot of interceptions or a lot of fumbles. So, why would they be there.

Most of the players on that list a 4-3 players or DBs. Can you honestly say that, from a FANTASY FOOTBALL standpoint, that the Patriots had anyone worthy of being there. The ONLY one I can think of is Mike Vrabel. Other than that, no one on our defense last year was worth having. From a FANTASY FOOTBALL standpoint.

Also, one must realize that Fantasy football means nothing in terms of actually game ability.

"lineman don't count in FF"...exactly my point:
  • FF sucks
  • FF is a waste of time
  • FF has nothing whatsoever to do with football
  • and I concur with Mike Silver, "there are no dudes on my fantasy team (not that there's anything wrong with that)."
someone please explain how FF has a positive impact on REAL football...be sure to remember the NFL is FOR PROFIT in your analysis.

I understand how it raises demand for the product which therefore raises revenue (which also raises costs, i.e. higher ticket prices, and more commercials interruptions during games).

I understand it is the major reason for the explosion of the game over the past few years (if it were just the Pats dynasty the league would probably have tanked) -- but if the net result is a larger and dumber fanbase, I can honestly do without it.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
  • FF sucks
  • FF is a waste of time
  • and I concur with Mike Silver, "there are no dudes on my fantasy team (not that there's anything wrong with that)."
someone please explain how FF has a positive impact on REAL football...be sure to remember the NFL is FOR PROFIT in your analysis.

I understand how it raises demand for the product which therefore raises revenue (which also raises costs, i.e. higher ticket prices, and more commercials interruptions during games).

I understand it is the major reason for the explosion of the game over the past few years (if it were just the Pats dynasty the league would probably have tanked) -- but if the net result is a larger and dumber fanbase, I can honestly do without it.

A larger and DUMBER fanbase? Care to explain yourself? Also, there aren't that many leagues that go by defensive players. Most leagues look at defenses as a WHOLE. And, I disagree that d-linemen are worthless in FF. 3-4 D-linemen who don't rack up stats aren't beneficial to a Fantasy football team. However, there have been guys like KGB and Kearny who are very good Fantasy Football players.

I am sorry if you can't understand the objective of Fantasy football. That doesn't make the people who play it DUMB. What its shows is your own lack of understanding.

Fantasy Football is designed to allow the average fan to imagine themselves as the GM of a team, not a coach. And they use the results of the actual games to determine their points. Its a STRATEGY game. And it takes INTELLIGENCE to be good at it.

It seems to me that you are one of those people who didn't like playing Chess because it was beyond your ability to comprehend the different strategies.

Now, how is it beneficial to the NFL? That should be obvious. It gets people watching more than one game a weekend. It gets people to purchase NFL Direct Ticket so they can flip between 4-8 different games at any one time. It gets name recognition to people other than the known stars. Fantasy Football is a marketing extraveganza that is another revenue source for the NFL. Also, fantasy football appeals not just to men, but to women as well.

Now, does fantasy football teach you about the game? No. But that isn't its purpose. But it gets you watching the games so you can learn the rules of football.

Last edited:
almost forgot the worst effect...fans actively rooting for players on enemy teams.

there is NOTHING more absurd than fans who become less concerned with their REAL team and MORE interested in OTHER games on Sunday because of a fantasy league.

Personally, I don't need to be around Pats fans on Sunday who are rooting for Manning to have a great game...especially if he's playing against us.

the taildragger said:
almost forgot the worst effect...fans actively rooting for players on enemy teams.

there is NOTHING more absurd than fans who become less concerned with their REAL team and MORE interested in OTHER games on Sunday because of a fantasy league.

Personally, I don't need to be around Pats fans on Sunday who are rooting for Manning to have a great game...especially if he's playing against us.

I truly don't see this affect much, if at all. If you do, then the people you are hanging around with aren't real Pats fans.

However, maybe your problem is that you are so hell bent on HATING. Not a good sign in a person.

Greetings DaBruinz,

A larger and DUMBER fanbase? Care to explain yourself?

you will not like my explanation.

Also, there aren't that many leagues that go by defensive players. Most leagues look at defenses as a WHOLE. And, I disagree that d-linemen are worthless in FF. 3-4 D-linemen who don't rack up stats aren't beneficial to a Fantasy football team. However, there have been guys like KGB and Kearny who are very good Fantasy Football players.

I'll take your word for it.

I am sorry if you can't understand the objective of Fantasy football. That doesn't make the people who play it DUMB. What its shows is your own lack of understanding.

wow, I'm speechless.

Fantasy Football is designed to allow the average fan to imagine themselves as the GM of a team, not a coach. And they use the results of the actual games to determine their points. Its a STRATEGY game. And it takes INTELLIGENCE to be good at it.

correct me if I'm wrong: real football is for idiots like me, fantasy is where the strategy and intelligence is? I get it: Seymour = not elite player -- in fact, if you were a GM, you wouldn't even consider him to be an average player...got it.

It seems to me that you are one of those people who didn't like playing Chess because it was beyond your ability to comprehend the different strategies.

still trying to follow you here: exponents of fantasy football excel at playing chess...got it.

Now, how is it beneficial to the NFL? That should be obvious. It gets people watching more than one game a weekend. It gets people to purchase NFL Direct Ticket so they can flip between 4-8 different games at any one time. It gets name recognition to people other than the known stars. Fantasy Football is a marketing extraveganza that is another revenue source for the NFL. Also, fantasy football appeals not just to men, but to women as well.

Now, does fantasy football teach you about the game? No. But that isn't its purpose. But it gets you watching the games so you can learn the rules of football.

Fantasy football does not appeal to me, ergo: I am too dumb to enjoy the game of chess, and I am not helping the NFL become more popular.

Sorry.

the taildragger said:
  • FF sucks
  • FF is a waste of time

First, just because YOU don't get something, don't like something, or aren't any good at something, doesn't make it invalid.

Two, don't like? Don't play it. And more importantly, don't ***** about it ad naseum on this forum. We get it. You're above all the fantasy geeks, you were the cool kid back in high school....yada yada yada.

Three, for a lot of people FF is a social thing. They get together with their buddies, drink a few brews, bust each others balls, and hang out. This usually continues once the games begin. Get together, watch games, drink a few brews. That would represent the vast majority of what FF leagues are all about. If you find that offensive, then maybe you're not cut out for the "man club" and should think about taking up knitting.

Four, and this is the only point I agree with you on, beyond a very basic level it has nothing to do with real football.

DaBruinz said:
I truly don't see this affect much, if at all. If you do, then the people you are hanging around with aren't real Pats fans.

However, maybe your problem is that you are so hell bent on HATING. Not a good sign in a person.

if you continue to accuse me of not playing chess or being hellbent on hating I will have to pay you a compliment and you will not know how to react to that.

good day sir and good luck with your fantasy league.

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this board.

question for FF leaguers

Is it the game that makes you people so insecure or are you just born that way?

Last edited by a moderator:
SoonerPatriot said:
Three, for a lot of people FF is a social thing. They get together with their buddies, drink a few brews, bust each others balls, and hang out. This usually continues once the games begin. Get together, watch games, drink a few brews. That would represent the vast majority of what FF leagues are all about. If you find that offensive, then maybe you're not cut out for the "man club" and should think about taking up knitting.

lmao at "man club" reference...

substitute the words "real football" for "FF" and that paragraph is exactly how I feel.

the taildragger said:
Greetings DaBruinz,

you will not like my explanation.

Give it a try.

the taildragger said:
I'll take your word for it.
wow, I'm speechless.
I find it hard to believe that you would be speechless.

the taildragger said:
correct me if I'm wrong: real football is for idiots like me, fantasy is where the strategy and intelligence is? I get it: Seymour = not elite player -- in fact, if you were a GM, you wouldn't even consider him to be an average player...got it.
I will correct you since you are insisting on making garbage up that wasn't said or even implied. Man, people like you really need to stop being so anal retentive.

1) Fantasy football is just that. Fantasy. Not real.
2) No where did I say or imply that Seymour wasn't an elite player.
3) You are confusing fantasy football with Madden. Fantasy football is all stats based. 3-4 D-linemen don't tend to rack up a lot of stats. That doesn't mean they aren't good. It just means that what they bring are intangibles that can't be measured.

the taildragger said:
still trying to follow you here: exponents of fantasy football excel at playing chess...got it.

No, you aren't trying to follow anything. You just insist on trying to make correlations that weren't implied. The only implication with my mentioning Chess was that you seem to lack the ability to understand strategy games. So far, you haven't shown anything for me to think otherwise.

the taildragger said:
Fantasy football does not appeal to me, ergo: I am too dumb to enjoy the game of chess, and I am not helping the NFL become more popular.

Sorry.
Why do you insist on making analogies that weren't implied? Do you insist on making idiotic statements just because you want attention or something?

Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean that its not an excellent marketing extraveganza for the NFL. This is just part of the reason that the NFL was able to sign some of the most lucrative TV contracts in history. And the NFL is about making money. The more people that watch more games, the more advertising money the networks get. The more advertising money, the more money that the NFL can get.

Wow and you guys thought I was a ****. :D

the taildragger said:
if you continue to accuse me of not playing chess or being hellbent on hating I will have to pay you a compliment and you will not know how to react to that.

good day sir and good luck with your fantasy league.

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this board.

I never accused you of not playing chess. I suggest you go back and re-read what I said since you obviously missed it.

Also, You do seem hell bent on hating fantasy football and your comments imply such.

As for paying a compliment, Go ahead. Maybe it will be more intelligent than the garbage assumptions you've been making up to this point. Better yet, just go to the political forum and spin what people say there. You'd fit right in.

the taildragger said:
Is it the game that makes you people so insecure or are you just born that way?

Did your parents drop you on your head as a child or have you worked on being ignorant your entire life?

Fantasy football is like Risk. We can't conquer the world in real life, so we play a game to simulate it. I don't think skills at being a Risk player would quantify into help with being a would-be world conqueror, though. It's just a game. Just like fantasy football.

DL in fantasy tend to have less value because they don't score defensive TDs, don't record many tackles, and don't intercept passes. The best fantasy DL are DEs who record sacks - Peppers, Freeney, Strahan, Umeniyora, Rucker, KGB... those types.

Last edited:
I find Fantasy Football to be pointless.

But that's just me. I'd rather watch game tape than sit and manage by fantasy team. It's also a system based completely on stats - which are only a fraction of football.

Last edited:
Well, I hate to jump in the middle of a good pissing contest.

Fantasy football does not interest me. If I'm having fantasies, it's not about football, as much as I love it. :singing:

real life story

this has been fun DaBruinz. If I could take back this thread I probably would...I hope you'll accept my apology for being so rude and offensive...if not I suppose you'll just call it garbage again.

Since you sincerely want to know where I'm coming from allow me to relay the following experience which had a profound effect on my "HELLBENT HATE" toward FF (which I used to think was harmless)...

Last year I had a few buds come up to Boston from New York (Giants fans). It was the week the Pats were down in Miami. I took everyone out to the sports bar under Fenway where the old bowling alley used to be...they have a ton of screens there so they could watch the Giants while I was watching us...

While I was interested in the other games, I was primarily interested in the Pats/Fins game. Aside from my out of town friends, the vast majority of guys in the bar were locals -- many were wearing Pats hats.

I found it odd that nobody in the bar was making noise in the first half. The place was filled with dudes, but they were all watching other games as if they were sitting in Norad tracking nukes.

But I chalked it up to the fact that it was a "classy" sports bar probably featuring only casual New England fans -- the kind that can afford season tickets at Gillette (sarcasm).

Anyway, when Watson caught that second TD pass late in the 4th quarter I realized I was STILL the only person in the bar who acknowledged the game...it suddenly dawned on me that the environment was a direct symptom of fantasy football...I turned to one of my buds and said, 'nobody roots for their own team' -- he agreed in a very matter of fact way.

Now obviously that is an exaggeration, fans root for their teams...but it's not the same anymore.

Now, maybe everyone in there was from out of town...or maybe they were just snobs...OR maybe I was actually on to something?

Look, I won't accuse you of being ignorant, but trust me, I've been in several arguments over football with obvious fantasy types, or average fans who have had things fed through fantasy pundits, and it's really painful stuff.

I guess I just don't understand the point of FF...why not bet on the actual games?

Fantasy baseball doesn't bother me as much...probably because I'm not as passionate about baseball. I LOVE football and I LOVE the Pats...to me, FF is just an unnecessary perversion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye