PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why everyone isn't extended yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It has been stated by several posters that the team must not value a certain player enough if he hasn't been extended yet. I don't believe that for a minute.
---------------------------------------------------
Is Hochstein more valuable than Graham, Branch, Koppen and Samuel?
----------------------------------------------------
Each situation is different. Besides, what should Branch ask for now, knowing that he can go to free agency after the season? $7M a year?

mgteich said:
It has been stated by several posters that the team must not value a certain player enough if he hasn't been extended yet. I don't believe that for a minute.
---------------------------------------------------
Is Hochstein more valuable than Graham, Branch, Koppen and Samuel?
----------------------------------------------------
Each situation is different. Besides, what should Branch ask for now, knowing that he can go to free agency after the season? $7M a year?

The only way Hochstein would be a higher priority than those players is if the starting Center were coming off an injury and might or might not be ready to start the season - which also happens to be the final season of his contract.

Oh wait - that's exactly what happend!

Its still unclear how Koppen is responding to his rehab. He might or might not be ready to start. And he might or might not be resigned next year, depending on his rehab... so yes, signing a health Hochstein over an injured Koppen is a higher priority.

It also make a ton of sense for the Pats to hedge their bets and sign Hochstein before Koppen's status potentially "promotes" Hochstein as the 2006 opening day starter, inflating his value for 2006 and beyond.

While I think most would like to see Branch re-signed asap, BB probably knows that having Chad Jackson show what he can do full contact training camp and pre-season could be a helpful tool in negotiaitons with Deion.

As far as Hochstein over Samuel - that's apples to oranges... again because of the Hochstein/Koppen situation - Hochstein could be considered a higher prority again.

Of course you probably went out of your way not to mention Graham!

Plenty said on that topic already I guess, but even if you think you can re-sign him at a reasonable price, there's no sense in doing that right now.

Even if you want him back - and published reports suggest that might not be the case - wait to see what you have in your rookie TEs to determine what level of need you think you'd have at TE in 2007.

Mike the Brit said:
If I were a GM in the NFL with some cap room, I'd be thrilled to extend whoever I could -- if there's anything for sure it's that the market rate will jump by 10-25 % next year.

(See the other thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=115573#post115573)

Mike, you nailed it with your response. For the Pats, this isn't about priorities at all, it's about getting players and their agents to even open a dialogue. Most players and their agents would prefer to wait until the market prices all rise, which they will.

The primary reason a player should sign an extension now is injury insurance. Ty Law found that out two years ago when he chose to test the market, then found the market dry up because he was coming off an injury. He finally found a taker in the Jets, but he definitely rolled the dice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Hochstein is just an experienced and versatile veteran who had salary expectations in line with BB's perception of value.

BB resigned Matt Light, Jarvis Green, Kevin Faulk... lots of players... prior to their final year. It's just a matter of what kind of expectations a player has for salary and what BB feels is fair value. I'm sure BB had a number in mind that he would have re-signed Givens for. Same with Dwight, same with Patten, same with just about anyone who's been good for the team.

They tie up a lot of average players early because these players value security and are affordable.

When other teams spend all their cash in a flash, they end up losin players or needing to pay higher prices for your solid but unspectacular types.

The Pats are just damn smart. If the **** hits the fan, they have affordable experienced depth until they can adjust.:rocker:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the Brit said:
If I were a GM in the NFL with some cap room, I'd be thrilled to extend whoever I could -- if there's anything for sure it's that the market rate will jump by 10-25 % next year.

The player is going to ask for what he'd get at the end of the year.
The down side of extending early is if the player's performance falls off or he is seriously injured, the SB $$$ are already commited.

AllabouttheVinces said:
The primary reason a player should sign an extension now is injury insurance. Ty Law found that out two years ago when he chose to test the market, then found the market dry up because he was coming off an injury. He finally found a taker in the Jets, but he definitely rolled the dice.

I think that exactly why Branch should want an extension. Isn't he still on his rookie (2nd rounder) contract. That can't be .1% of what he's worth. I'm quessing the Pats would make him a very high paid player, without the risk of testing the market or getting nothing because of injury or a bad season.

jeffd said:
I think that exactly why Branch should want an extension. Isn't he still on his rookie (2nd rounder) contract. That can't be .1% of what he's worth.
doing the math, Branch is making in 2006 1,045,000 in salary. That is .1% of his worth only if he is worth over a billion dollars this year. :D

If he is worth 5 mil a year, then he is making 20% of his worth. Definately enough to want to extend, IMO.

Mike the Brit said:

(See the other thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=115573#post115573)

Of course if you are either an agent or a player, especially a guy who was not a high pick and has never made big NFL $, you want to wait and get the deal later unless the team is willing to give you enough now to make it worth your while.

Guys like Branch, Koppen, and Samuel are young guys who have never made big NFL $. None of them is likely to take a "hometown discount." Veterans who have made their $ but haven't won are typically the guys who factor winning into their decisions. Young guys who have already won and never made their $ rarely do.

To sign them the team and player have to find the perfect balance between a deal the team considers value and a deal the player considers worth taking today and eliminating injury risk when he can get more on the market in a year if he stays healthy. It is a very difficult balance to strike.

I don't see it as a matter of priority at all. Things take time. Different situations present different sets of circumstances. Every case is different.

I'm sure the Pats are working to extend every player they want to extend. And if they don't want to extend the player, I'm sure it's in the best interest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing