Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why ESPN's Ultimate Depth Chart is FLAWED.....

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by HEY BRO! WHAT UP?, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Let me tell you why I'm having trouble understanding the logic of these ESPN dudes analyzing who ranks where. Are they ranking teams based on depth at each position or who they think is best at each position. Because the Chargers DO NOT HAVE THE BEST DEPTH IN THE LEAGUE! They wear down every season. Tomlinson busts out the gates early in the season and then gets less carries as the season goes on, or at least his numbers fall. They have a great running back in Tomlinson, but after that? Not much, not better than K.C. And then the Seahawks? After Alexander they don't have anybody! Either do the Redskins after Portis! I think even these experts are misunderstanding the meaning of "DEPTH CHART". What team is best collectively at each posistion, not who has the best individual player that starts for them. Thats where I see a major flaw in these rankings. The reciever rankings are fair, but Running backs, Run defense are what I have a problem with. In terms of DEPTH, the Pats have the best D-Line in Football and their LB's will be fine. They were nice to rank the Pats in the top 10 of pass defense. When I watched the show on ESPN, they had the Pats #2 in QB's and the Colts were number #1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I see it online that the Pats are #1, but I don't remember seeing it on T.V.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

The Chargers problem is that no one knows how Rivers will do. If he plays up to the standard of the 1st/3rd pick in the draft, they'll be golden. If he's a stiff, they won't even make the playoffs.
  3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

It's flawed because it's a poll. And 90% percent of people who respond to on-line polls are either morons or homers.
  4. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The other 10% are both.
  5. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's kind of hard to bash ESPN with a post like this showing you yourself have little knowledge beyond the big names. LT's backup Michael "The Burner" Turner is one of the best backups in the league and he proved it last year when he played, he's a home run threat and is short and stocky enough to make it hard to bring him down. Morris in Seattle is also thought to be one of the better backups, and at a point, Seattle was thinking of not even resigning Alexander and having Morris become the starter, which is pretty high praise about your backup. As for the Skins, Ladell Betts is a solid backup who has done a more than adequate job with his carries and they also have Cooley all over the place, and Sellers, Cartwright, and Nemo, all of which solid depth at certain jobs all over the backfield.
  6. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Please, I know many names in the NFL. Yes I'm aware of Michael Turner, Yes I'm aware of Maurice Morris, Yes I'm aware of Ladell Betts.

Here are your stats for backups in the NFL:
    Morris 2005 Seattle Seahawks 16 2 71 288 4.1 49 1 1 17 - Not eye popping, however, yards per carry is good
    Betts 2005 Washington Redskins 12 0 89 338 3.8 22 1 1 17 - More yards, because more carries
    Turner 2005 San Diego Chargers 16 0 57 335 5.9 83 3 1 11 - Best of the bunch

My point - K.C. should be #1. End of story! Johnson and Holmes (if he comes back) will be the best tandam in the league! Holmes can start anywhere and Johnson can start for any team. Turner, Betts, and Morris are unproven. They benefit from being a change of pace back. Denver could use more credit due to the fact that whoever they put in at running back, has a chance to gain 1,000 yards. In the end, you have made a great counter arguement and I thank you for that. All I know is, that the Pats are going to be a great team on offense and will be in the top 5. Their running game should be a lot better than last years, even though this is totally irrevelant to my arguement.
  7. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Their predictions are ridiculous. There is no way teams like Arizona, Baltimore and Atlanta belong above Miami. You guys are a good team, but are way too high IMO. We belong in the 7-9 range, as do you guys. Just my 2 cents.
  8. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:D i needed a laugh.
  9. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While some of you guys are very understanding, there are still a select few of you that are incrediablly vein. Why is that funny? I don't need to go over this again with you guys because this is argument has been beaten to death. But I want to know why that is so funny? It's not an outrageous statement and if you think you are the 4th best team in the NFL, you couldn't be more wrong.
  10. hallfamebrady

hallfamebrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Miami does belong in the 7 - 9 range.

We belong in the 12 - 4 range
  11. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL! Another bitter, vein Pats fan. If you believe that, I feel sorry for you. Also, if you believe that, you have no football knowledge whatsoever.
  12. hallfamebrady

hallfamebrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK football expert. Tell me why I am wrong.
  13. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I do this almost every day on this website because there are very few of you guys who know what is going on outside of New England.

The first thing is the QB. Last year we had Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels. Those guys led us to 9 wins and they were both horrible. Frerotte was the 28th rated passer in the NFL. Do you mean to tell me that Daunte Culpepper is one of the worst 3 QBs in the league? He's not, he is a top 10 QB in this league. That right there propels us from a 9-7 record to AT LEAST 10 wins. No way we get worse this year.

Our O-line was much improved under new line coach Hudson Houck. They will continue to improve this year and we have added a new LT in L.J Shelton. He is much better than Vernon Carey or Damion McIntosh ever were.

Ronnie Brown has a year under his belt, and when he got the ball was very effective. Culpepper loves using his RBs in the passing game so expect his 32 receptions to increase big time. He also will get the bulk of the carries and will easily be a 1000 yard back this year.

Chris Chambers elevated himself to an elite status last year catching balls from 2 bums at QB. Now that he has a PRO BOWL QB, he will get even better. Marty Booker is as good a #2 WR as there is in this league. Derek Hagan was a steal in the draft and he will compete with new addition Kelly Campbell and Wes Welker for the 3 spot. Our TE Randy McMichael will also benefit from Daunte who made Jermaine Wiggins a pro bowler in Minnesota.

Our front 7 is all returning and has another year under their belts in learning Saban's defense. We were 2nd in the NFL in sacks last year.

Our secondary was not very good, it ranked 20th in the NFL but we have greatly improved that area with depth, and new starters. Will Poole was a very good corner before tearing his ACL in camp last year. He will join Will Allen and Travis Daniels to make a good CB crew. Jason Allen will start at safety with Renaldo Hill which is a much better duo than last year's TeBucky Jones and Yerimiah Bell.

Any questions? You probably didn't read this because all you care about is the stupid Pats and that's the only thing you know. But if you do read it, hopefully you realize we are going to be competitive this year.
  14. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I'll take that over a bitter, artery Pats fan anyday. When does school go back in session after the summer break for you kids in Florida?

My kids don't go back until the end of August, already I can't wait. :)
  15. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Glad to see you're a great parent who loves spending time with his kids. I actully just graduated up here in the state of Washington earlier this spring. Because one of my fingers went down before the other on a keyboard makes me unintelligent?

But I can see why you would turn to this to avoid the topic at hand. Good football statement to come back with man! ::THUMBS UP::
  16. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Hmmm.... all THREE times that you tried to call us vain you end up spelling vein?
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/search.php?searchid=36233
    Yet a search for 'vain' under your username brings up nothing:
    I'd link it, but it's just a generic page that says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

No, mistaking the two words doesn't make you unintelligent! It's the same type of mistake that my boy would make, and he's as sharp as a whip (for his age). Your spelling of incrediablly, however is another story. Now toddle off to bed fin-boy, or did Mom let you stay up late on the 'puter tonight? Kewl!

That reminds me, I should bugger off and check on my own kids. :D

(Oh... now I see what you think you did. No, you didn't reverse the E and the I, you got the whole word wrong. Sorry.)
  17. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said, you'd rather talk about my spelling airs than football because you know you're just an idiot and all you know is that Tom Brady is your QB and BB is your coach. You're a pathetic football fan my friend. I still haven't seen a response to my peice above about the 2006 Fins.
  18. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I never claimed that you misspelled 'airs', I just said you erred in your word choice. It's okay man, my kid has a hard time with the whole 'two, to and too' thing as well. It'll come with time.

Now, perhaps, before one comes into another's home and accuses him of lacking knowledge, one should be at least knowledgeable about the language in which he is using to throw said accusations around? No?

Sponge Bob is on in like 10 minutes, hit the hay (hey?) buddy.
  19. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

By the way, I thought I should perhaps link airs and errs for you.

Plus you want to watch out for not only vein and vain, but also vane. Those are kinda tricky.

And just in case, here's two, to and too as well.
  20. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You continue to prove your lack of football knowledge my friend.
  21. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

TShirt has more than proved his knowledge on other threads; just because he doesn't respond on this one doesn't change that fact.
  22. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well then he should show me that I'm wrong. The fact that he hasn't tells me either he can't due to lack of knowledge, or he can't because the Fins are the superior team.
  23. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

T-Shirt- Yes we get it. People do spell things wrong. I spell things wrong. Who cares? We are here to talk football, not check each other's spelling and grammar. Yes, Aqua4ever has a weak argument about Daunte Culpepper, but it's worse when other people's counter argument is how they spelled this or that wrong. Give us a break. I'm not trying to be rude or mean but tell him how his argument is dumb.
  24. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Alright, the Phins are not a superior team. The reason why T-Shirt is not responding to your argument is because it is very stupid. Nobody cares about last season. I hope you know deep down inside that week 17, was just a practice game for the Pats but the Dolphins wanted to finish the season with a winning record, so think of that game as a gift from the Pats. Oh yeah, Matt Cassel, almost took the game into overtime. So I wouldn't feel too confident just yet about the Dolphins. They will get smacked around both times they play the Pats this year. The Pats are just too good compared to the Phins. I'll admit, the Phins are making great moves to improve their team, however, they are still a year away from competing with the Pats. And this 6 game winning streak that everyone is getting too hyped up about:

12 Sun, Nov 27 at Oakland W 33-21
    13 Sun, Dec 4 Buffalo W 24-23
    Sun, Dec 11 at San Diego W 23-21
    15 Sun, Dec 18 NY Jets W 24-20
    16 Sat, Dec 24 Tennessee W 24-10
    17 Sun, Jan 1 at New England W 28-26

You beat 4 very bad teams and got lucky against the Chargers still high off of that emotional win against the Colts. Chargers are always choke artists at the end of the season. They seem to play their best ball in Sept.-November.
    Bottom line: No way the Phins come close to contending for division title for one simple reason. The Pats have a pretty easy schedule this year compared to last year. By November the Pats will wrap up the division.
  25. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And you call my argument dumb lol. We got lucky against San Diego? Umm ok?? If we got lucky in that game, then you got very lucky the first time you played us. If not for that McMichael fumble late in the first half, we would have liekly been up 14-0 or at worst 10-0 heading into the locker rooms. But instead you guys got a field goal out of it making it a 7-3 contest. You guys won by 7 when we failed to punch it in deep in the red zone. You wanna talk about getting lucky? Look at that game my friend, which essentially was the difference in who won the division.

As for your "gift" at the end of the season. The Dolphins were beating up on your starters pretty good too as I recall. Then BB pulled them out, and don't you think that maybe took just a little bit out of the Fins sails?

You say how close our ball games were during that 6 game streak but think about this. There were 3 or 4 other games that we lost that we very easily could have won. For example, our first game against you which I already explained. Our first game against Buffalo, Frerotte had 2 INTs in the Buffalo end zone and Ronnie Brown fumbled in the red zone with under a minute to go down by 6. Thirdly, the game against Atlanta, Frerotte had 2 more turnovers in the red zone. The second one came at the Falcons 5 yard line with a minute to go trailing by 7. So with Culpepper, those 3 games are without a doubt wins!

So don't tell me my argument is dumb because the Fins are a vastly improved team and will kick the s*** out of the Pats two times this year and run away with the AFC East. You guys just don't see anything other New England Patriots football and it really scews your vision on the rest of the league/division. If you think the Fins are another year away, you're a moron!
  26. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It was 7-7 when he pulled the starters. That is beating up on our starters pretty good?
  27. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If he comes back is the key phrase. He has what many think is a career ending injury. How can you rank a team #1 for depth that right now no one thinks will play again?
  28. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

A vein is something that blood flows through, vain is someone who is egotistical. A knowledge of the English language come in handy.
  29. hallfamebrady

hallfamebrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Aqua,

What was Daunte's record has a starter last season? What was his TD / INT ratio? He is not a top 10 QB. I think you have spent too much time playing fantasy football.

How many carries did Ronnie Brown get during the winning streak? I believe Ricky Williams carried the load?

Where is Sam Madison? Gone

My take: 7 - 9 for the Fins
  30. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Dolphins organization=Raiders organization
    Why you ask? The seemed to want every freakin player available regardless of their past or age. They are rediculous to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.