PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Eagles were suddenly a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawky77

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I did not see a thread on this so if i missed ....sorry

1.The Eagles are more talented then their overall play and record would lead us to believe
2. So why did they show up tonight...DISRESPECT....no not from the Pats, from the Bookies.....they were 24 pt underdogs and this brought them together as a TEAM. We of all the Fans in the NFL should know the power of DISRESPECT. It has won us 3 Super Bowls!
3. Yes the Pats were unprepared for who showed up on the field tonight, not just because of the Eagles motivation and unity but also because of AJ Feely as QB was an unknown in the Eagles offense.
4. Will this unity carry over for the Eagles....maybe ....it sure didn't for the Jets but the Eagles are a lot more talented then the Jets. We will see if Reed can keep it going.

For me this is the best thing that could have happened...this will shock the Pats back to reality and hopefully focus them for the stretch run and it did not cost us a game...win win

1.The Eagles are more talented then their overall play and record would lead us to believe
2. So why did they show up tonight...DISRESPECT....no not from the Pats, from the Bookies.....they were 24 pt underdogs and this brought them together as a TEAM. We of all the Fans in the NFL should know the power of DISRESPECT. It has won us 3 Super Bowls!
3. Yes the Pats were unprepared for who showed up on the field tonight, not just because of the Eagles motivation and unity but also because of AJ Feely as QB was an unknown in the Eagles offense.
4. Will this unity carry over for the Eagles....maybe ....it sure didn't for the Jets but the Eagles are a lot more talented then the Jets. We will see if Reed can keep it going.

For me this is the best thing that could have happened...this will shock the Pats back to reality and hopefully focus them for the stretch run and it did not cost us a game...win win

Good post except for #3 ... we were prepared for Feely because he played for the Dolphins ... he played really well tonight. He didn't miss a trick and only made 2 big mistakes all night. He recognized every weakness we had on every play ... like when Jackson was in there.

I don't follow the Eagles much but many of us have felt for a while now that the Eagles need to move on from McNabb to get better ... does Reid see that now? I doubt it ... it's been the teams downfall for a while now.

The NFC is weak now ... a QB change could put the Eagles right in the hunt.

The Eagles seem like a good team tonite because they played "desperate" with that "nothing much to loose" attitude

Last edited:
The Eagles played better with Feeley because McNabb has been killing them. He ad libs too much and the team doesn't seem to believe in him emotionally any more. The Qb should provide a spark through his charisma for the whole team. Favre does it, Brady does it, Brees does it, Roethlesberger does it, VY seems to, McNabb doesn't anymore. Too much history there, with the NFCCG choke jobs, the self-pity, the TO fiasco, etc. Philly kicked it into gear last season when he went down too. They have a great O-line solid skill player, a young and violent D-line, an above average secondary and very good coordinators who have been around the block and aren't intimidated by nobody.

Last edited:
Or put it this way-the Eagles weren't going to make @$$e$ out of themselves yet again on national tv. Just b/c they looked GREAT in this ONE game doesn't mean a thing.

Watch them against the Hawks next week-noone gives a crap about the Hawks on the contrary, so it won't be surprising if Seattle beats them.

Good post except for #3 ... we were prepared for Feely because he played for the Dolphins ... he played really well tonight. He didn't miss a trick and only made 2 big mistakes all night. He recognized every weakness we had on every play ... like when Jackson was in there.

I don't follow the Eagles much but many of us have felt for a while now that the Eagles need to move on from McNabb to get better ... does Reid see that now? I doubt it ... it's been the teams downfall for a while now.

The NFC is weak now ... a QB change could put the Eagles right in the hunt.

Yes and except for the game against us he Sucked in Miami....but as i said we had never seen the talent the Eagles have with Freely at the helm....the film we have is with Mc Nab at QB, this Was Freely's first start since returning to the Eagles.....Freely is not an NFL caliber QB expect once or twice a yr ..as his 3 picks demonstrate...

Because every team will bring their A game when playing the Pats.
Well those that can anyways.

The Eagles seem like a good team tonite because they played "desperate" with that "nothing much to loose" attitude

My observation is that desperation only works in Foot Ball if one already has a united team...the Eagles were far from united prior to the DISREPECT that the BOOKIES and the National Sports Media laid on them.....once the team was unified by a common emotion of being disrespected then they could use their situation as an additional motivational tool....but until one has the team emotionally unified you get what the Bengals gave us until this week....a lot of potential going in all directions except forward. A single unifying focus must be developed for a TEAM to actually function as a TEAM. While desperation exists on all losing teams it does not produce positive results until the team actually comes together and functions, plays as a team..

Or put it this way-the Eagles weren't going to make @$$e$ out of themselves yet again on national tv. Just b/c they looked GREAT in this ONE game doesn't mean a thing.

Watch them against the Hawks next week-noone gives a crap about the Hawks on the contrary, so it won't be surprising if Seattle beats them.

If Andy Reed is the coach everyone thinks he is he will nurture this new unity of the Eagles and turn it into a run...but we will see a lot depends on whether or not Mc Nab comes back, he appears to be one of the teams problems rather then one of the teams answers.

The Eagles played better with Feeley because McNabb has been killing them. He ad libs too much and the team doesn't seem to believe in him emotionally any more. The Qb should provide a spark through his charisma for the whole team. Favre does it, Brady does it, Brees does it, Roethlesberger does it, VY seems to, McNabb doesn't anymore. Too much history there, with the NFCCG choke jobs, the self-pity, the TO fiasco, etc. Philly kicked it into gear last season when he went down too. They have a great O-line solid skill player, a young and violent D-line, an above average secondary and very good coordinators who have been around the block and aren't intimidated by nobody.

i understand and agree with your statement with one exception....i do not believe the Colts QB has any team Charisma or even any real leadership skills beyond his Physical performance.

Yet he has had some degree of success. So what ever it is that Favre and Brady have that makes the people around them better and willing to follow them is rare and difficult to logically quantify.

Last edited:
I think the Eagles looked good Sunday night because they protected their QB and kept the pressure on ours. Anytime any team does that, there is a chance for victory.

I think the Eagles looked good Sunday night because they protected their QB and kept the pressure on ours. Anytime any team does that, there is a chance for victory.

Succinct and correct. I totally agree. The over analysis can now stop. Indy pressured Brady therefore that game was close. Dallas pressured him for a half and it was close for that long. The Eagles pressured Brady the whole game and it was close. Brady had good protection in the other games therefore we moved the ball easily.

And any team that doesn't get pressure on the opposing QB (like we didn't do enough tonight)? I don't care how good a secondary is; most pro QBs will move the ball given enough time. This is not to say there aren't concerns about the Patriot secondary. There have been since the beginning of the season IMHO. IMHO if we don't get pressure on their QB, our secondary is susceptible (more so than some others, less so than some others).

That said, BB gets his team playing it's best defense, often, when November and December come around. I have no reason to believe it will be any different this year.

The key to the game was the ability of Phily's offensive line to protect Feeley. I don't recall him being sacked once, despite the numerous blitzing the Patriots did. Minus the two INTs, Feeley played incredible. He was extremely accurate even under pressure.

The key to the game was the ability of Phily's offensive line to protect Feeley. I don't recall him being sacked once, despite the numerous blitzing the Patriots did. Minus the two INTs, Feeley played incredible. He was extremely accurate even under pressure.

Is it me, or did Madden seem to be very anti-Pats? Honestly, it's RARE for him to go on and on about teams' supposedly weaknesses. Heck, when Bledsoe played for us and he called our games, I don't recall him saying anything bad(i.e. holding onto the ball too long) about him.

With that being said, it's just one of those games, I guess-after we played back-back outstanding road games where we did everything to shut down the Eagles and Giants O, somehow, Jason Campbell managed to light it up against us at TX Stadium.

On days like last night, he's not being anti-Pats. He's trying to lead the country in a "Eureka!" chorus. Now it's a "game"! (Not the Eagles, which we did get past, the 19-0 perfect season... no longer a foregone conclusion!)

Now anyone can win again -- now anyone can beat the Pats on any given day -- now the Network can move as many Pats games into prime time as possible without risking the "can't happen, going to bed" reaction.

So yeah, I'd LOVE to have a "Eureka" if I were Madden -- woo hoo, all ya gotta do is run in-cuts against 'em and get to Brady. And also play ultra-aggressive, as he kept saying.

Me, I feel "disrespected" because the Iggles were running it up on us by trying an onside kick in the first half <tongue in cheek.>

I feel happy to get the W and get out of there... and hope things go "back to normal" now. Something tells me a lot of people will be doing the "copycat" thing, as predicted on NBC. We'll see how that pans out for 'em.

PFnV

McNabb = Patrick Ewing

The Ewing theory in football form. Drew Bledsoe was another example.

On days like last night, he's not being anti-Pats. He's trying to lead the country in a "Eureka!" chorus. Now it's a "game"! (Not the Eagles, which we did get past, the 19-0 perfect season... no longer a foregone conclusion!)

Now anyone can win again -- now anyone can beat the Pats on any given day -- now the Network can move as many Pats games into prime time as possible without risking the "can't happen, going to bed" reaction.

I understand the sentiment, but there is a limit of six prime-time games per team, and the Pats are already at that limit (last night was the fourth, plus BAL and NYG). PIT is already scheduled for 4:15, and NYJ and MIA may move there too.

Last year, when the Eagles were on the Colt schedule, of course, the Eagles "sucked". This year, they are "good".

The key to the Eagles???

MIGHT be playing without McNabb. Feeley is not as good as he played last night, but maybe this will dive him confidence. He had great protection, and even when he was hurried, he stood in and delivered. Pretty impressive. Three bad throws/decisions(well more than that, but three "key" ones). Pick six, the underthrow to Curtis, and the STUPID decdision with TOO MUCH TIME remaining to try for the SIX. Worst decision I have seen so far this season. Moving the ball, close to FG range, time ticking, and you hope for 6?? Even if they DO score there, WAY TOO MUCH time for TB. I think this is one is a classic example of getting an opponents "best" game.

The Eagles played better with Feeley because McNabb has been killing them. .

Speed back a year to last year when McNabb had his annual injury and Garcia led them deep into the playoffs...They also played well with a different QB...McNabb ought to , as they say update his resume and start collecting boxes and phone numbers of mocing companies...

Last edited:
I mentioned this before the game and was ignored. I'll try again.

Coming in, the Eagles were 6th in the NFL in total offense, and 8th in the NFL in total defense.

Compare that with the Bills, who were 31st in both categories.

I have no idea why the Bills were supposed to keep it close while the Eagles were supposed to get blown out. The numbers don't bear that out. The Eagles have had some tough losses, but they move the ball and play good defense, which is much more than I can say for the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes