PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why don't we utilize the stretch play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I understand we don't need to the rushing attack to win, and understand that our rushing attack is underrated and underestimated.

However, I'm just curious as to why that [the stretch run play] isn't part of our game plan, I'm sure there's a reason, but it does seem it would make sense on a few levels to implement the stretch play that, for instance, you see the Colts do so well.

First, I think if there is a weakness to our OL, or at the very least, something that isn't a strength, it's creating big holes up front in the running game. With Dillon (in his prime) or Morris, maybe it was less of a big deal, they find a small hole and hit it for what it's worth. But that hasn't been Maroney's style - and this isn't meant to get into a big already played-out argument - and so that's not going to be as effective.

And on the flip side, what is a huge strength of the OL is it's mobility & it's quickness, it seems to me that the stretch play would really take advantage of that. Furthermore, it would take advantage of Maroney's strengths, who seemingly prefers to work with a little more room.

So what's the reason? It just seems like pretty much every run is between the tackles right now, and going up against vaunted run defenses as we have been, that's not going to do much.

Last edited:
However, I'm just curious as to why that [the stretch run play] isn't part of our game plan, I'm sure there's a reason, but it does seem it would make sense on a few levels to implement the stretch play that, for instance, you see the Colts do so well.

Excellent points. Saw quite a bit of the stretch play in preseason and it seemed to be effective. I have only one explanation for why the Pats aren't using it now. They are saving it for the playoffs and don't want to put it on film for opponents to study.

I know this sounds silly, but I can't think of anything else that is remotely logical. Even if it was a total bust in practice, wouldn't you want to try it at least once in a real game? If it was even remotely effective, the play-action you could run off of it would be devastating.

I'm waiting for the playoffs to see it. If I don't see it then, I will be as confused as you are now.

Excellent points. Saw quite a bit of the stretch play in preseason and it seemed to be effective. I have only one explanation for why the Pats aren't using it now. They are saving it for the playoffs and don't want to put it on film for opponents to study.

I know this sounds silly, but I can't think of anything else that is remotely logical. Even if it was a total bust in practice, wouldn't you want to try it at least once in a real game? If it was even remotely effective, the play-action you could run off of it would be devastating.

I'm waiting for the playoffs to see it. If I don't see it then, I will be as confused as you are now.

I hear you, but I kind of doubt we'll see it in the playoffs, b/c I agree we'd have to have seen it by now. The idea that he's holding it back, well I think in this case, to go out and to execute the stretch play like the Colts do would give other teams something to worry about, and the fear of them executing that play would be far greater than the surprise of it being executed.

They obviously don't think it's right for their personnel or for their offensive philosophy. I'm not sure why, but ultimately, I'm most certainly not in a position to question whether their decision is right or wrong - simply ponder what the reasons for the decision may be.

Bump....maybe instead of 3000 random Maroney hate and other jibber jabber threads someone would like to share their thoughts here...

Oh and another thing to consider is how ridiculously effective Brady has been with play action this season...of course, he's been ridiculously effective in just about every formation, but there's no denying that play-action opens things up, just look at the Moss TD the other day.

We do run the stretch play. There is an outside and an inside stretch. We don't run the outside stretch much but we run the inside stretch when we run.

We do run the stretch play. There is an outside and an inside stretch. We don't run the outside stretch much but we run the inside stretch when we run.

OK, well why don't we run an outside stretch? Wouldn't it be worth it to see if Maroney is more effective outside?

OK, well why don't we run an outside stretch? Wouldn't it be worth it to see if Maroney is more effective outside?

Don't know. He doesn't look that good on the inside stretch. He should be effective on the inside stetch too. It's the same thing. One cut and up the field yet he seems to miss the lane constantly. I'm not sure why the outside stretch would be more effective but I'm sure the Pats have their reasons.

I'm not sure why the outside stretch would be more effective but I'm sure the Pats have their reasons.

Right, I'm sure they do, too, the only reason I'd guess he'd be more effective outside is that it would be able to take advantage of his speed more, and the general speed/athleticism of the OL.

You have to keep in mind the opponent and the game plan. The last three opponents the Pats have played (Eagles, Baltimore, Pitt) have been blitzing like crazy, overloading the line with players trying to shoot gaps and get penetration. It is insane to try to run against those defenses because those same blitzers are moving the line of scrimmage backwards -- a surefire recipe for blowing up running plays before they get started.

The way to beat a blitzing defense is to throw the ball over their over-pursuing heads. Conversely, if we face a defense that is dropping 7 or 8 into coverage, the Pats are more than happy to burn them with that killer delayed draw.

It just depends what you are up against. Not too many teams beat Baltimore or Pittsburgh by running the ball down their throats.

This isn't anything new. Remember the season opener against the Steelers a couple of years ago when the Pats opened the game with 25 straight pass plays?

You have to keep in mind the opponent and the game plan. The last three opponents the Pats have played (Eagles, Baltimore, Pitt) have been blitzing like crazy, overloading the line with players trying to shoot gaps and get penetration. It is insane to try to run against those defenses because those same blitzers are moving the line of scrimmage backwards -- a surefire recipe for blowing up running plays before they get started.

The way to beat a blitzing defense is to throw the ball over their over-pursuing heads. Conversely, if we face a defense that is dropping 7 or 8 into coverage, the Pats are more than happy to burn them with that killer delayed draw.

It just depends what you are up against. Not too many teams beat Baltimore or Pittsburgh by running the ball down their throats.

This isn't anything new. Remember the season opener against the Steelers a couple of years ago when the Pats opened the game with 25 straight pass plays?

This is all true and good points...

There is Outside Zone and Inside Zone blocking. Outside Zone is also referred to as "Stretch".

Outside Zone is "Pin and Pull" while Inside Zone is double teams and release to the second level.

There is Outside Zone and Inside Zone blocking. Outside Zone is also referred to as "Stretch".

Outside Zone is "Pin and Pull" while Inside Zone is double teams and release to the second level.

Yes, but it's still a stretch play to me. Linemen are still taking their stretch steps. Running back takes his cut from the the tackle's position. It's just that you're expecting the lane somewhere around the B gap.

Yes, but it's still a stretch play to me. Linemen are still taking their stretch steps. Running back takes his cut from the the tackle's position. It's just that you're expecting the lane somewhere around the B gap.

No, Stretch is a nickname for Outside Zone. Inside Zone is a completely different concept altogether. Line blocking is completely different. And Inside Zone's advantage is the windback.

Last edited:
I wish there were more swing plays or pitch outs to LM,even out of the shotgun.It seem his reaction time or vision is better in space and can use his elusivness better.

apparently, we have no good explanations. LOL because anyone can see that Maroney would be better in space outside than packed in tight inside.

i have wondered about this myself. i remember when we first said we were going to "zone blocking" and i saw us run the stretch play in pre-season, i thought "this is gonna be awesome!" that was before we became a passing juggernaut.

didnt we run the stretch play a bunch in the first 2 games of the season??

No, Stretch is a nickname for Outside Zone. Inside Zone is a completely different concept altogether. Line blocking is completely different. And Inside Zone's advantage is the windback.

Good stuff, what say you to why we don't use the Stretch run?

Good stuff, what say you to why we don't use the Stretch run?

I don't know. I would think that Inside and Outside Zone would play to Maroney's strengths. Maybe Scar doesn't like it or wants to spend more time working on pass blocking and less doing new run schemes because that's what they do. It's a mystery. Zone is tricky to teach and execute, you really need to commit to it.

I don't know. I would think that Inside and Outside Zone would play to Maroney's strengths. Maybe Scar doesn't like it or wants to spend more time working on pass blocking and less doing new run schemes because that's what they do. It's a mystery. Zone is tricky to teach and execute, you really need to commit to it.

That's a solid point I hadn't thought of. No point in devoting lots of time to something when you're strength - and what you do and what you run most of the time - lies elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes