Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why don't they just...

Discussion in 'The Practice Squad' started by martinmunson, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinmunson

martinmunson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm new here, and maybe this has been brought up in one of the other million threads, but...

When a team is down by 10 points and they have around 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, why do teams spend so much of that time trying to score a touchdown? Why not just try a field goal from 40 yards out, and then leave yourself with 45-90 seconds on the clock when you go attempt the onsides kick?

I've seen a lot of teams over the years eventually score the touchdown, which is nice, but then they have 7 seconds to kick/recover the onsides kick and then need a 60 yard touchdown pass and it's never worked.

Pretty good question for my first post. Thanks.
    Martin
  2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 0 / -3

That's a good question. I think some of it is trying to get the more difficult play out of the way first, but some of it is also coaches not wanting to be second-guessed if it doesn't work out - especially if they went to the extreme of attempting that FG prior to 4th down. And you have to figure that if they're close enough for a FG from that range, then they're inside the 30, maybe inside the 25 - from that point they may as well go for the end zone and if nothing else maybe draw a PI penalty.

Conversely I've also seen some coaches get ultra conservative and they end up missing a 40+ yard FG after play calls that appear to have been made as if it was a gimme chip shot.

:welcome:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.