PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why don't Pats match Hawks deal for DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but if 2 teams quickly reached agreement with Branch on a contract, why don't the Pats use that agreement to reach agreement as well?

I understand that they shouldn't have to, and it's like Blackmail, and it sets a bad precedent, and he's not a free agent yet...
but once they allowed him to seek a deal, they allowed him to publicly show what he's worth, and let's think about this situation and the alternative...

if they stick to their guns, on principle, I think it has become a case of cutting off their noses to spite their faces. In other words, at this point, they need to choose their best outcome. Right now, they are negotiating a deal to Seattle for maybe a 1st round picks and a middle round pick. OK. That's an acceptable ending. But not a really good one for the Patriots, is it? I mean - why is Seattle willing to do that? Because they have major talent issues at wide receiver, want to be successful, and know Branch is very very good.

Well, where will the Patriots be if they make that deal? The same boat as the Seahawks - they will have major talent issues at wide receiver, they want to be successful, and they know Branch is very very good - especially in their system and especially working with Brady.

so starting out, the pats were right, and shouldn't have given in, but now that they're in danger of the seahawks taking him for theirs, wouldn't it make more sense to give him the money the seahawks are willing to?

otherwise you'll have some draft picks yeah, but you'll have just lost your 2 best receivers, and that will have seriously hurt your team's chances for success. yes, they would then go out and get some help, but do we really think they would be able to be at the same level as if they had branch?

I think we're using wishful thinking if we try to reason we would be. They let branch test the market and the market has spoken. their best move now would be to swallow their pride, and say, fine, we'll match their offer, here's the 5 or 6 year deal they gave you, now rejoin the team and let's win this thing.

I know your all disgusted with deion and don't even wantg him back at this point. and I know you don't want to cave in in these dealings because others will see that outcome. but I think things really changed once the pats allowed him to publicly seek on offer. they sort of altered their position and now their next best move and any messages sent has also changed in my opinion.

I'm guessing the deal will seattle may happen now. but I'm saying it isn't reallt what their best move is anymore.

Reportedly 13 million guaranteed and 23 million first 3 years, he hasn't demonstrated that range of value as the Pats' see it.

What you are saying makes too much sense. The two parties

that are involved are too interested in screwing each other.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Reportedly 13 million guaranteed and 23 million first 3 years, he hasn't demonstrated that range of value as the Pats' see it.

so are you saying the seahawks and jets are paying him more than he's worth? why? are they stupid or desperate? or is it that great talent at
wide receiver is hard to get, and when a player of that caliber becomes available you have to overpay to get him?

is the 23 mill the first 3 years just putting more money up front then the backend, and the whole deal is really worth about what he's worth? if so, that doesn't seem like that big of a concession to me.

When you guarantee $13 million, the player practically hopes you think it's front end money because if you cut him before the 3 years are up, he's back on the market looking for another bonus.

That's a three year contract that is uncuttable.

Jimke said:
What you are saying makes too much sense. The two parties

that are involved are too interested in screwing each other.

if that's really the case, then the pats front office is acting out of character.

We don't know what the offers from the Jets or Seahawks really were.

The "reports" of those offers were given to people like Ron Borges by Branch's agent. I, for one, would approach those "reports" with some skepticism. Especially, having seen Borges' characterizations change overnight from deals in the "36 to 39 million range" to "39 million".

The Pats could simply tack a fake salary on the end of their 5 year/$31 million extension offer and be at $36 million, too.

At this point, I would get Tom Brady to call Deon Branch directly and ask him point blank, "What outcome are you trying to achieve?"

upstater1 said:
When you guarantee $13 million, the player practically hopes you think it's front end money because if you cut him before the 3 years are up, he's back on the market looking for another bonus.

That's a three year contract that is uncuttable.

yeah, but realistically, branch ain't gettin' cut, and if it's so bad, why the other teams willing? cause they know they'll have branch if they do and he's worth it.

pats should just match it. end this and keep their guy.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Reportedly 13 million guaranteed and 23 million first 3 years

$23 million for the years 2006 through 2008.
Let's compare that to the offer made by the Patriots in May.

$5.045 million in 2006 (1.045 salary and a $4 million signing bonus)
$5.5 million in 2007 (1.4 million salary,$4 million signing bonus, $100,000 offseason workout bonus money)
$4.4 million in 2008 ($4.3 million salary and a $100,000 offseason workout bonus money)

A total of $14.945 million.

The other teams' offer is 53.9% better than the Patriots over the 1st 3 years of the deal.

Branch would make more money in 2006/2007/2008 with the Seahawks/Jets than the Pats offered him for 2006/2007/2008/2009.

hwc said:
We don't know what the offers from the Jets or Seahawks really were.

The "reports" of those offers were given to people like Ron Borges by Branch's agent. I, for one, would approach those "reports" with some skepticism. Especially, having seen Borges' characterizations change overnight from deals in the "36 to 39 million range" to "39 million".

The Pats could simply tack a fake salary on the end of their 5 year/$31 million extension offer and be at $36 million, too.

At this point, I would get Tom Brady to call Deon Branch directly and ask him point blank, "What outcome are you trying to achieve?"

I'm sure that's been asked. They say Branch still talks to Brady and others all the time. I think it's pretty safe to assume the reports of the salaries offered are at least in the ballpark. If this all ends with deion leaving, and we then here details of the deal, I'm sure it won't be something that the pats couldn't have also done with him.

This is no longer a contract negotiation. It is a divorce. Both parties are doing whatever possible to hurt eachother. This relationship is done.

Miguel said:
Branch would make more money in 2006/2007/2008 with the Seahawks/Jets than the Pats offered him for 2006/2007/2008/2009.
Maybe paid more BUT no chance for another ring! IMO

Miguel said:
$23 million for the years 2006 through 2008.
Let's compare that to the offer made by the Patriots in May.

$5.045 million in 2006 (1.045 salary and a $4 million signing bonus)
$5.5 million in 2007 (1.4 million salary,$4 million signing bonus, $100,000 offseason workout bonus money)
$4.4 million in 2008 ($4.3 million salary and a $100,000 offseason workout bonus money)

A total of $14.945 million.

The other teams' offer is 53.9% better than the Patriots over the 1st 3 years of the deal.

ok - so you've proven that the hawks/jets offer is an increase to what the pats offered. fine.
I'm saying, now that you see what these other teams are willing to give him, and you're gonna lose him if you don't do the same, give it to him. He's more valuable to you as a player than a traded commodity. you gave him the right to have the market set his value, now meet that price and end this more favorably.

by saying no and dealing him you are hurting your chances for success this season. can they win without him - yes, but it will be a major concern and a big challenge to overcome. it's not necessary - just match what he's been offered.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
This is no longer a contract negotiation. It is a divorce. Both parties are doing whatever possible to hurt eachother. This relationship is done.
'Nuff said right there. Its over, there is no more than a 1% chance Branch shows up in a Pats uniform again. If he does it willbe after week 10.

SamBam39 said:
or is it that great talent at
wide receiver is hard to get, and when a player of that caliber becomes available you have to overpay to get him?
I'm saying that the Seahawks see an opportunity to win a Super Bowl.
I'm saying that the Seahawks know that this was not a good year to get a wideout in free agency.
I'm saying that the Seahawks think that 2007 wideout FA crop will even be worse. With demand high and supply low, Branch could get even more in 2007 if there were more teams competing for his services.

Patriotsfan 712 said:
Maybe paid more BUT no chance for another ring! IMO

IMO, the Seahawks are a SB contender.

Jacky Roberts said:

again - not good business.
don't make emotional decisions.

SamBam39 said:
I think it's pretty safe to assume the reports of the salaries offered are at least in the ballpark.

Why would that be safe to assume? In my years of following the NFL, I can't remember a single instance when the initital agent-spin descriptions of contract offers proved to be accurate. Often, they are wildly exaggeratted, even when there is no dispute or hard feelings whatsover. It's what agents do when they leak information to reporters.

Ask Miguel. I bet he's seen it a million times when the real numbers prove to be very different than the intial agent characterizations of the numbers.

Miguel said:
I'm saying that the Seahawks see an opportunity to win a Super Bowl.
I'm saying that the Seahawks know that this was not a good year to get a wideout in free agency.
I'm saying that the Seahawks think that 2007 wideout FA crop will even be worse. With demand high and supply low, Branch could get even more in 2007 if there were more teams competing for his services.

So why can't the Patriots see, know, and think the same things?
I think they're screwing up here.

Branch should be retained somehow, not dumped.
It's a stupid move.

they'll recover, but they won't be as good for awhile...
If the Seahawks win the superbowl, I'll puke.

hwc said:
Why would that be safe to assume? In my years of following the NFL, I can't remember a single instance when the initital agent-spin descriptions of contract offers proved to be accurate. Often, they are wildly exaggeratted, even when there is no dispute or hard feelings whatsover. It's what agents do when they leak information to reporters.

Ask Miguel. I bet he's seen it a million times when the real numbers prove to be very different than the intial agent characterizations of the numbers.

Miguel just quoted the offer.
I stand by the viewpoint if that's what the market bears, then match it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes