Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why does the GOP have such a narrow appeal?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Jun 2, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

The Rep party is 89% White? Pretty exclusive, how do they expect to stay in power? Especially when Limbaugh, Cheney, and Gingrich are the main spokesman for the party. Non of these guys is very indearing and accepting of other races.

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel - Blogs from CNN.com

Here’s something that probably keeps the leadership of the Republican Party up at night: A new Gallup poll shows 89 percent of the party’s rank-and-file members are white.

Cafferty: GOP will not gain favorable support if Cheney, Limbaugh, and Gingrich continue to spew “negative, hateful rhetoric.”

This leaves only 11 percent of Republicans who are Hispanics, African-Americans or members of other races. These numbers are staggering and hardly in keeping with the radically changing face of the U.S.

That’s not all — by more than two-to-one, whites who call themselves Republicans claim a conservative ideology, and about half of them say they’re strongly religious.
    Compare that to Democrats — whose party is 64% white and 36 percent non-white. By a ratio of more than four-to-one, white Democrats call themselves moderate or liberal, and only 20 percent of them say they’re highly religious.....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I love it.

anyone who disagrees with the fringe right is told to "get out"...

well, in a two party system, there is only one place to go.

The leadership in the party is quite amazing. They still live by the mantra, "if you aren't with us, you are against us". CLASSIC!

On their recent announcment of a listening tour, they TOLD us how they would be spreading THEIR message. They nominated a VP and head of party that both were reactionary and toxic. The loudest voices in the party are infact the most corrosive. The former VP is attempting to use fear, again...like the wierd uncle that keeps crying wolf...the last representative in the White House is a joke to 95% of the people on earth, and now almost 80% of americans.

and there is nobody to drive....or stop this crazy train.

Its exciting.

can't wait to see how this one ends, but the writing is on the wall.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

Cafferty...lol.

I'm really confused about all this "inclusive" stuff, and politics. Is the goal to add as many people to your ranks as is humanly possible, so you can win, or is it to have a clear set of principles, and stick to them? In the world of Coke and Pepsi, selling more product is basically the ultimate goal I guess. So not having a platform, or a set of core beliefs is a better strategy. Personally I think the GOP went wrong by diluting, or going away from what were supposed to be it's founding principles. Small gubmit, more individual freedoms, low taxation, etc. I'd much prefer the GOP go back to being what it claims to be, even if it means it ends up smaller, than try to be "inclusive", in the hopes of attracting people that don't belong. When you try to include anyone, and everyone into your tent, it means that you have completely different, and conflicting interests to appease. It means you have to pander more, or screw principle, in order to keep the outsiders in. That's bad for the country IMO. The problem is that you need votes to win, so each side sells its soul to gain power. No thanks. Selling your soul, or principles, for votes only screws the country, and being "inclusive" is a code word for selling your soul.

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

They alienate moderate Republicans. The party is going to be fractured for a long time.

The only thing left in the party are those for pre-emptive warfare, spying on Americans, creationism, secret torture bases, lying in order to invade, printing trillions in free welfare for i-bankers.

Their platforms and leadership remind me a lot of that movie 'Idiocracy'.

5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

The media and brain dead idiots who listen to them. IE, Cafferty and CNN viewers.

6. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

7. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

so.....

no opinion on why only 21% of americans consider themselves republicans?

none?

you sound a lot like Michael Steele.

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I get your idealism on this, but I really think you have rose colored glasses on when dealing with the issue.

meaning...these republicans are not alienating members so they can stick with an underlying principle...

they are alienating those who believe that their past policy was criminal, and who disagree with a few blanket issues.

If you disagree with pre-emptive war.....THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT YOU.
    If you disagree with torture for detainees .....THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT YOU.

in an all or nothing view, there is no wiggle room for free thought. Not everyone agrees that less government and lower taxes are their top issues... so anyone who thinks that........THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT YOU.

If you think a woman has a right to privacy, and to choose......THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT YOU.

anyone who wants Healthcare for all americans .....THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT YOU.

however....low taxes, Drill baby Drill, and free market capitalism? WELCOME.

9. Roland

Roland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

well when the end of the world comes this poll shows 80% who may be among those mucking in slop with that murderer Tiller.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

For the racial part - when you're told from the day you're born that someone is racist you generally believe it. Republicans (as a group) are not racist but when an entire race grows up being told otherwise by their parents, teachers and peers it's difficult to overcome that thinking.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Its about the poll, not Cafferty. The reason i started the thread was because i was amazed how White the Rep. party is. I never thought the figures would be that high. I knew it was White but didn't think it was THAT White.

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its actually the other way around for me, I'm surprised they are not 'whiter'...or is it 'more white'?

either way ... 11% ?

look around those tea parties, and look around those pizza parties...

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh yeah....

YouTube - Young Con Anthem

These idiots putting shame to the hip hop movement, like those who bling, and rhyme about the benjamans...at least the Blingers can actually rap.

THIS will not fix your dying party, $h!theads.

14. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree with that. The GOP hasn't been very tolerant of anyone who's not conservative, and IMHO it's the conservatism that's caused the party to become so exclusive (or more like non-inclusive).

They don't tolerate anyone whose beliefs extend even the slighest bit outside their lines of absolute tradition.

This is exactly why the liberals have a larger base; there's much more wiggle-room. In the GOP you're either conservative in all respects or you're not considered part of that party.

15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The thing is real conservatives have long left the Republican party, or are being blasted now by the neo-cons and the right-wing mediots. No true conservative would be for trillions to i-bankers, pre-emptive warfare, torture bases, or spying on Americans. The people in that party are crazy neo-cons, who alienate all who disagree with their warped worldviews.

16. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you morons make it sound like 95% of the electorate voted for obama as well as other democrats.......

it is exactly this form of stupidity that will leave you dopes whining again in a few years

17. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly; there's the traditional GOP then there's conservatism, specifically FISCAL conservatism. But now we seem to have nothing but extremes (on both sides imo). Neo-cons,neo-libs, basic insanity:D

18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Mitt Romney, Colin Powell, and Ron Paul should just start their own 3rd party.
    They won't have a chance staying in the current one.

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Obama got 53% of the popular vote in November 2008

since then, his approval rate has fluctuated from the mid 50s to the high 60s today it is 61%

since then the number of americans who still call themselves republicans has dropped to 21%

currently on RCP the conmgressional approval rates favor democrats 41-36%

even the overall congressional approval rate is up to 35%
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

then theres you, Tanked

calling for a conservative, republican win in November of the future.

That fuking makes me laugh....really hard......and out loud. I wish there was a 3 letter way to express my Laughing Out Loud, so I could display it easier on the forum.

until the numbers start in the other direction, you will have a hard time getting VOTES by alienating VOTERS.

20. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Since the National League Of Women Voters lost the debate oversight we've lost the multi-party priviledge. Ross Perot nailed that coffin shut and we haven't seen a viable 3rd party since :(