PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does everyone think getting to the SB is easier now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The people who think we have a better run to the Super Bowl need to get a clue.

First, we play a Jacksonville team that we haven't seen in over 2 years. We might have a short week to prepare.

Then, we most likely have to travel to Indy and face a shaky Indy team coming off a bye week and a few rest-the-starters games. I'll give that one to this case. But also remember the Pats will have to gain momentum as well, and facing Indy later when the Pats have built more momentum will help.

Then, we have a sliver of a chance to host the AFC Championship game, and rather we would most likely have to go to Denver @ Mile High. Not fun.

Or...

We first play Pittsburgh, who we've knocked around over the past few years, especially in the playoffs. BB is 18-2 since 2001 facing a team for the second time in the same year, and the Steelers have the same starters as the week 3 matchup. A possible shorter week can be spent to less getting used to the opponent and more towards fine tuning things that we haven't done right.

Then, we most likely go to Denver, coming off a bye, with an erratic Jake Plummer who hasn't played since before Christmas.

Then, we have a twice as good of a chance to host the AFC Championship game, but if not, we most likely travel to Indy. That's going to be tough.

Last edited:
It Is What It Is - 3 games in 13 days is a possibility if we play in Saturday, do you rest starters to focus on the goal of winning out in the playoffs, or do you go all out in a relativly meaningless game?

I hope to make time to watch tape to assess the reserve's play against Miami's starters....there is value to be had from the approach BB chose. Of course, we'er all smarter then BB when it comes to winning Super Bowls - which makes us perfect broadcast announcers for the new F2P feetball network! :)

Box_O_Rocks said:
It Is What It Is - 3 games in 13 days is a possibility if we play in Saturday, do you rest starters to focus on the goal of winning out in the playoffs, or do you go all out in a relativly meaningless game?

I hope to make time to watch tape to assess the reserve's play against Miami's starters....there is value to be had from the approach BB chose. Of course, we'er all smarter then BB when it comes to winning Super Bowls - which makes us perfect broadcast announcers for the new F2P feetball network! :)

Took the word out of my mouth. I will admit that during the game I had a bad feeling about playing the back ups. But looking at the big picture, it's what we had to do.

So, "getting a clue" involves looking at the big picture.

It was going to be tough either way. But unless we end up playing the #3 seed in the AFCC game, this does make it just a tiny bit easier. Regardless, it's a tough, long road from here.

I'm not really attacking the resting of starters right here, I'm just wondering why people wanted the Pats to sit down beacuse they thought there would be an easier playoff schedule if they did.

That isn't the case. Period.

Big deal that we haven't played Jacksonville in 2 whole seasons. They are coached by the same guy, have the same systems on both sides of the ball, and right now have a QB controversy.

And whether we were the #3 seed or the #4 seed we will most likely still go to Denver if we win our first playoff game. There is no bigger mismatch on paper right now than the Steelers and Bengals next week. The Steelers are red hot and the Bengals are collapsing. Pittsburgh went into Cincy once and embarassed them and are probably going to do the same thing again. The Bengals are in turmoil. Palmer is hurting, the defense is getting pushed all over the field, and they have zero playoff expereince. I will be stunned if Cincy wins that game.

I am so glad we don't have to play Pittsburgh next week. Let CIN deal with them, which is why they didn't want to win any more than the Patriots did.

Bob G

I am glad we don't have to face Pitt.

I don't mind having another physical based team like us going around and slapping the finesse teams around. I think the Bengals were hoping we won today so they could face Jacksonville.

Jax is a win. Period.

Indy will not have played a meaningful game in 5 or 6 weeks. I'd rather take them then than after a battle-test game vs. Pitt or whomever they would've played.

By the way, it turns out Jax hasn't played US in two years, either. Weird.

who's the iron?

pats1 said:
The people who think we have a better run to the Super Bowl need to get a clue.

First, we play a Jacksonville team that we haven't seen in over 2 years. We might have a short week to prepare.
Then, we most likely have to travel to Indy and face a shaky Indy team coming off a bye week and a few rest-the-starters games. I'll give that one to this case. But also remember the Pats will have to gain momentum as well, and facing Indy later when the Pats have built more momentum will help.
Then, we have a sliver of a chance to host the AFC Championship game, and rather we would most likely have to go to Denver @ Mile High. Not fun.

Or...

We play Pittsburgh, who we've knocked around over the past few years, especially in the playoffs. BB is 18-2 since 2001 facing a team for the second time in the same year, and the Steelers have the same starters as the week 3 matchup. A possible shorter week can be spent to less getting used to the opponent and more towards fine tuning things that we haven't done right.

Then, we most likely go to Denver, coming off a bye, with an erratic Jake Plummer who hasn't played since before Christmas.

Then, we have a twice as good of a chance to host the AFC Championship game, but if not, we most likely travel to Indy. That's going to be tough.

a single-elimination SB "tournament", as a certain tuna calls it, is supposed to be hard.
pittsburgh thru denver to the Championship sounds like a fair test.
jacksonville thru the dolts to denver sounds worthy, too.
but where's the real "iron" in the AFC?
where's the hardcore defense that chews up QBs?
every one of those teams is beatable, has flaws. none of them is as scary as pittsburgh was in the '04 playoffs.
altho the AFC is certainly the superior conference, moving to the SB is definitely possible. IF our boys can get back to their relentless selves. if they can't, we'll be watching somebody else on SB sunday.
just lke every year, you can't half-ass your way to the Super Bowl. ya gotta beat SOMEBODY, usually 2 of them, to get there. whoever gets there will have to go thru the two-time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots (sounds nice, doesn''t it?). if they can do that, thet deserve to go to the SB.

patsox23 said:
Jax is a win. Period.

Indy will not have played a meaningful game in 5 or 6 weeks. I'd rather take them then than after a battle-test game vs. Pitt or whomever they would've played.

Good point. We would have been banged up. But the Bengals, despite their struggles, probably would have beaten Jax, which means Denver would have been our round 2 opponent.

bobgeorge said:
I am so glad we don't have to play Pittsburgh next week. Let CIN deal with them, which is why they didn't want to win any more than the Patriots did.

Bob G

* Well stay under the bed then -:) I really don't understand the fear of Pitts. And claiming that the Pats didn't try to win, even with backups playing is ridicluous. If you think the Patriots were trying to avoid Pitts, then the Patriots are losers. The Pats, if they have to play Saturdays game, would play 3 games in 13 days. There's also some history that teams do better that have the bye week. Of course theere are the better teasm also. If you think the Patriots didn't want to win today, then you think they don't have much confidence and are chicken. I don't.

PatsSteve1 said:
* Well stay under the bed then -:) I really don't understand the fear of Pitts. And claiming that the Pats didn't try to win, even with backups playing is ridicluous. If you think the Patriots were trying to avoid Pitts, then the Patriots are losers. The Pats, if they have to play Saturdays game, would play 3 games in 13 days. There's also some history that teams do better that have the bye week. Of course theere are the better teasm also. If you think the Patriots didn't want to win today, then you think they don't have much confidence and are chicken. I don't.
"Fear of Pitts" may be a factor, but the thing I look at is what they are capable of against other teams. I'm confident that the Pats can out game plan Cowher's team, but that team can really play hardnosed football and whomever else they play will be challenged to play a full game. I'm comfortable beating their sorry behinds later rather than sooner. :rocker:

Pittsburgh could always come back to New England

Let's say Pitt wins @ Cincy, @ Indy

Let's say NWE beats JAX and "upsets" Denver @ MH.

Then it would come down to Pitt @ NWE Jan 22 in the AFC Championship game.

We should be thankful for making it back to the tournament and we were strong enough to take care of our division.

let's not take the Jags for granted. They are a good team.

But, I think playing them on a Jan night at the Razor gives us an advantage. And, if Cincy does win, then we play the Colts in Indy,if we win. I like that better than playing Denver in Denver. If we have to go to Denver the next week, so be it.

We'd better watch it

Let's hope the media isn't repeating all this nonsense about how we'd "LIKE" to play Jacksonville! The Jags will cover their BBs (and I don't mean Bill Belichicks) with it.

Enlisting the Allmighty...

PatsSteve1 said:

As the good book (& CSNY!) says.. "There is a time to every place in heaven".

I would want to play the physical Steelers when I had a proper amount of time to heal after I beat them. I suggest the AFCCG in Foxboro with two weeks to prepare to play the triple AAA minor league NFC club in the Superbowl.

And if the Steelers beat Cincy which I suspect, and then lose but beat up the Colts, that's when I'd like to play the ponies...

Bill seems to be getting right with the Almighty too, for this Superbowl push. First enlisting Flutie and his "Hail Mary" and then adding the "Drop kick me Jesus...", as well.

Pardon the heavenly puns & aliteration.

AzPatsFan said:
As the good book (& CSNY!) says.. "There is a time to every place in heaven".

Actually, it was the Byrds (with Pete Seeger adapting the words from Ecclesiastes to his own melody) that did "Turn Turn Turn", not Crosby Stills Nash and Young. FWIW...

bobgeorge said:

Bob G

Being on the Bengal message boards, they feel they will have no problem with us...regardless of the fact they are limping into to the playoffs.. They feel that Carson Palmer is a clone of Peyton Manning and will have no problem with us. I personally wanted to play your team first...we are finally healthy and playing better than we have anytime this year.....just like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes