PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does everyone assume Browner starts over Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do want to make it clear that i'm a huge fan of Dennard, he had been a binkie of mine since before the 2011 draft after I watched tape on Amukamara.

I do want to make it clear that i'm a huge fan of Dennard, he had been a binkie of mine since before the 2011 draft after I watched tape on Amukamara.

He seems like he's quite talented and could be a solid CB2 as long as he can stay healthy and out of trouble. I like him a lot myself.

I haven't seen anyone even remotely close to complaining that there's too much quality depth in the secondary.
Hence why I put quotation marks around the word to show that I was using the word a bit loosely.:rolleyes:

And semantics aside, it doesn't even come "remotely close" to changing the overall premise of my post. The fact is BB does love versatility and we have guys who can play multiple positions in the secondary. All of them will play. All of them will line up at different spots on the field. Hence, who cares if people are assuming Browner starts over Dennard. They're both going to play and they're both going to contribute a great deal to the overall success of the defensive unit. Probably a good idea to stop quoting the whole post and then zeroing in on one point that doesn't even change the merit of the post itself.

Fair enough?

Hence why I put quotation marks around the word to show that I was using the word a bit loosely.:rolleyes:

And semantics aside, it doesn't even come "remotely close" to changing the overall premise of my post. The fact is BB does love versatility and we have guys who can play multiple positions in the secondary. All of them will play. All of them will line up at different spots on the field. Hence, who cares if people are assuming Browner starts over Dennard. They're both going to play and they're both going to contribute a great deal to the overall success of the defensive unit. Probably a good idea to stop quoting the whole post and then zeroing in on one point that doesn't even change the merit of the post itself.

Fair enough?

No... Given that your post was centered on:

Funny how a few years ago we were talking about a lack of depth in the secondary and how BB has to put together a hodgepodge of guys. Now, we're "complaining" about having too much quality depth? LOL We're getting into regular-season form already?

I'd say it's pretty clearly not fair enough. But it's not really worth devoting more time to it.

No... Given that your post was centered on:

I'd say it's pretty clearly not fair enough. But it's not really worth devoting more time to it.
Definitely mutual. Carry on.

I do not think it really matters who starts, our top five DBs were all on the field 60% or more of the time last season –

- Devin McCourty – 1,031 of 1,156 (89.2 percent)
- Aqib Talib -- 849 of 1,156 (73.4 percent)
- Steve Gregory – 840 of 1,156 (72.7 percent)
- Kyle Arrington – 834 of 1,156 (72.1 percent)
- Alfonzo Dennard – 722 of 1,156 (62.5 percent)
- Logan Ryan – 598 of 1,156 (51.7 percent)

So if are top five this season are Revis, Browner, McCourty, Dennard, and Ryan we are in great shape.

This is good data that I know you probably got from Reiss, but one thing he should do it show percent plays when available to tease out all the games where a player was injured. The denominator for each player should be custom.

Using the Reiss data, one could infer that Belichick only played Talib 1 out of 4 plays for the last two AFCCGs when in fact we know he played 100% then 0% for three quarters.

This is good data that I know you probably got from Reiss, but one thing he should do it show percent plays when available to tease out all the games where a player was injured. The denominator for each player should be custom.

Using the Reiss data, one could infer that Belichick only played Talib 1 out of 4 plays for the last two AFCCGs when in fact we know he played 100% then 0% for three quarters.

While something like that would certainly be ideal, it's probably somewhat unrealistic to expect unless you are a subscriber to a pay site with top of the line analysis given to the media.

I hear what you're saying though. For example, L.Ryan played in about 52% of the regular season snaps, but that went up to 55% in the postseason with the Talib injury.

Another good example would be Harmon's 36% in the regular season, which was helped in part due to injury situations as well. At the end of the day however, this is going to be the norm for just about every team in every year, just due to injury situations alone.

bc hes better. I liked Drc in free agency bc of athleticism in coverage, but price, tackling, character, length, and press coverage ability favor and I like Browner there. Barring injury we have a complete squad and the missing links r finally here.

Last edited:
Dennard's injuring his shoulder (apparently it happened against the Browns) helps explain at least some of why he was getting pushed around a bit more at the end of the season. It's also a hopeful thing, since it means he should be able to get back to his more physical style once he's all healed up*.

Another mystery solved!

*Florio says he's not expected to be on the field until training camp.

Dennard's injuring his shoulder (apparently it happened against the Browns) helps explain at least some of why he was getting pushed around a bit more at the end of the season. It's also a hopeful thing, since it means he should be able to get back to his more physical style once he's all healed up*.

Another mystery solved!

*Florio says he's not expected to be on the field until training camp.

As a fan, I definitely feel more at ease knowing that he's recovering and that it doesn't appear to be too major of an issue. This can be a big year for him, and I'd love to see him as part of our secondary future moving forward past his rookie pact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back