PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does everyone assume Browner starts over Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I realize the NFL features a lot of sub-packages, so having CB1 and CB2 is not that black-and-white. However, I keep reading from everyone on this board and beat writers that Browner is the projected #2 starter over Dennard. In fact, beyond that, it seems like Dennard has been written off and is rarely even mentioned now when the Patriots' secondary is analyzed.

Dennard was a very good player last year, provided he is not overmatched by true #1 receiver like Demaryius Thomas. I saw some metrics that showed he was a top 50 CB in the league, and that seems about right: a solid #2 starter. He is also going from year two to year three and has room to improve.

Nothing against Browner, but I've thought this signing was overhyped from the beginning. The guy is big and physical, which certainly has it's place on this team, but are you really sold that in traditional defensive fronts, he is better than Dennard at covering the opposition's #2 outside receiver? He is 29 years old, and for much of his career he played in the CFL because he didn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He had a good stint in Seattle, albeit with an all-star secondary and defense, although you have to wonder how much of that did have to do with PEDs. His talent went from CFL-caliber to NFL pro bowl caliber? Yeah, the recent suspension was for drug problems years ago, but the one before that was a failed PED test. Lots of times when there's smoke, there's fire. Seattle's defense didn't seem to miss a step when he wasn't there in the postseason.

Have away...

Probably has something to do with the fact that they paid him starter money.

Because you don't pay a situational matchup-specific player top end #2 CB money. I don't know for sure that Browner will be the #2 CB, but he's being paid like he's expected to decisively win that job.

Browner will have one mission this season, chop Welker's head off.

I think the #2-5 spots could be in any order among Browner, Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington (although Browner wouldn't be lower than 3 and Arrington wouldn't be higher than 3).

Don't have exact stats, but the Patriots were in the nickel more than 50% of snaps last year. We will see a lot of 3 CBs out there.
I think from a secondary view, its all about matchups. Revis will take the #1 WR without a doubt. but then, I see Browner taking the next biggest WR and then Dennard will take the slot guy or a smaller outside WR.

Like vs. Denver: Revis-D. Thomas, Browner- J. Thomas, Dennard- W.Welker
vs. Chicago: Revis-B.Marshall, Browner- A. Jeffery, Dennard- slot guy
vs. Miami: Revis- M. Wallace, Browner- C. Clay, Dennard- B. Hartline
vs. Colts: Revis- Nicks, Browner- Wayne, Dennard- TY Hilton
vs. Packers: Revis- Nelson, Dennard- Cobb, Browner- Boykin
vs. Lions: Revis- Megatron, Dennard- Tate, Browner- Pettigrew

You get the point. Revis takes the #1 and from there its matchups. Dennard was abused last year by D. Thomas after Talib went out. Dennard can cover smaller quicker guys and medium sized guys. Tape says Browner struggles vs. smaller speed guys but loves being physical so he can get dominant TEs and taller WRs. So its all about what the other team has

Don't have exact stats, but the Patriots were in the nickel more than 50% of snaps last year. We will see a lot of 3 CBs out there.
I think from a secondary view, its all about matchups. Revis will take the #1 WR without a doubt. but then, I see Browner taking the next biggest WR and then Dennard will take the slot guy or a smaller outside WR.

Like vs. Denver: Revis-D. Thomas, Browner- J. Thomas, Dennard- W.Welker
vs. Chicago: Revis-B.Marshall, Browner- A. Jeffery, Dennard- slot guy
vs. Miami: Revis- M. Wallace, Browner- C. Clay, Dennard- B. Hartline
vs. Colts: Revis- Nicks, Browner- Wayne, Dennard- TY Hilton

You get the point. Revis takes the #1 and from there its matchups. Dennard was abused last year by D. Thomas after Talib went out. Dennard can cover smaller quicker guys and medium sized guys. Tape says Browner struggles vs. smaller speed guys but loves being physical so he can get dominant TEs and taller WRs. So its all about what the other team has
Makes sense to me.

I realize the NFL features a lot of sub-packages, so having CB1 and CB2 is not that black-and-white. However, I keep reading from everyone on this board and beat writers that Browner is the projected #2 starter over Dennard. In fact, beyond that, it seems like Dennard has been written off and is rarely even mentioned now when the Patriots' secondary is analyzed.

Dennard was a very good player last year, provided he is not overmatched by true #1 receiver like Demaryius Thomas. I saw some metrics that showed he was a top 50 CB in the league, and that seems about right: a solid #2 starter. He is also going from year two to year three and has room to improve.

Nothing against Browner, but I've thought this signing was overhyped from the beginning. The guy is big and physical, which certainly has it's place on this team, but are you really sold that in traditional defensive fronts, he is better than Dennard at covering the opposition's #2 outside receiver? He is 29 years old, and for much of his career he played in the CFL because he didn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He had a good stint in Seattle, albeit with an all-star secondary and defense, although you have to wonder how much of that did have to do with PEDs. His talent went from CFL-caliber to NFL pro bowl caliber? Yeah, the recent suspension was for drug problems years ago, but the one before that was a failed PED test. Lots of times when there's smoke, there's fire. Seattle's defense didn't seem to miss a step when he wasn't there in the postseason.

Have away...

Some times the answer is the obvious one. Browner is a much better corner than Dennard.

Because he's a bad fit as a nickel CB and Dennard is not.

Some times the answer is the obvious one. Browner is a much better corner than Dennard.

Browner was benched at times last season before the suspension. He is prone to smaller WRs and speed especially on double moves. I don't necessarily think that Browner is THAT much better. His size helps him cover the bigger more impactful WRs but he would be abused by a Mike Wallace whereas Dennard can't handle the big boys, but he can beat up on the smaller guys and hold his own very well

Browner was benched at times last season before the suspension. He is prone to smaller WRs and speed especially on double moves. I don't necessarily think that Browner is THAT much better. His size helps him cover the bigger more impactful WRs but he would be abused by a Mike Wallace whereas Dennard can't handle the big boys, but he can beat up on the smaller guys and hold his own very well

When was Browner benched?

When was Browner benched?

Last season in the 8 games he played, he wasn't outright completely benched, but he lost some playing time to that Thrumond kid.

After we signed Browner, I checked out a Seattle forum and they were talking about this and how Browner was getting killed on double moves in the time he did play in 2013

Last season in the 8 games he played, he wasn't outright completely benched, but he lost some playing time to that Thrumond kid.

After we signed Browner, I checked out a Seattle forum and they were talking about this and how Browner was getting killed on double moves in the time he did play in 2013

Oh, THATS your source. Gotcha.

I think more time than not Browner will be 1on1 with the opponents #1 TE receiving threat. We got abused in every game except for the Saints game when we used Talib on Graham. These are just a handful of the games when the opponents TE feasted on our defense.

Tony Gonzalez – 12 receptions, 149 yards, 2 touchdowns
Jordan Cameron – 9 receptions, 121 yards, 1 touchdown
Colby Fleener – 6 receptions, 74 yards
Julius Thomas – 8 receptions, 85 yards

Browner will man up with the TE, Revis will man up with the #1 WR and then the other players will defend the opponents secondary options.

Oh, THATS your source. Gotcha.

Good to hear some fan opinions bud. Browner isn't the world beater that you think he is. He's a good CB but so is Dennard. He has his flaws so does Dennard

Dennard has four weeks to make a case for

being the CB2
being the CB3

The ball's in his court.

It can be argued either way and besides Revis will probably be more match up based than anything. The guy I am pounding the table to get more time is Ryan though. This kid flat out has a nose for the ball and showed steady improvement as a rookie. We should give him every chance to make that 2nd year jump if he can.

I am not saying he should start over Browner though but id prefer him to be out there as much as possible as his skill set is perhaps the most flexible of all the DBs.

Thurmond was their nickel CB, he was never threatening for an outside job. You're thinking of Maxwell, who I don't believe ever started to win over Browner's job but his play in place of him made Browner expendable after the season ended.

Why does OP assume Dennard will be ahead of Ryan? As of right now Ryan is still a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down