PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does Andy Reid cover his mouth when calling plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Arlen, could it be that other teams are trying to steal his signals? Jackass!

It's also a big part of why they put a speaker in the QB's helmets. As we all know, we didn't cheat we just broke a rule. Speeding, not drunk driving.

I mean really, why do we even have signals in the first place? So teams don't know what you're doing because if you just said it out loud people would know and it'd give them an advantage. Does it make them dishonest? Not at all, if you can figure out what the other team is doing then more power to you. The only crime here is using the camera. No big deal really.

It's not just because other teams might be cheating. There was a big deal with Mike Holmgren just this year where he got mad at the network cameras for focusing in on the wrong side of his cheat sheet (the one he covers his mouth with). Network cameras show head coaches all the time, and they probably don't want their plays to be given away on national TV.

It gets cold up there in Philly, he doesn't want his chap lips exposed on national television.

Stealing signals? What?! Only the Patriots do that, ESPN told me.

It's not just because other teams might be cheating. There was a big deal with Mike Holmgren just this year where he got mad at the network cameras for focusing in on the wrong side of his cheat sheet (the one he covers his mouth with). Network cameras show head coaches all the time, and they probably don't want their plays to be given away on national TV.

Right, who would want their plays on television besides other teams? And if you don't want your sheet shown cover your mouth with the menu that most of them look like they can't put down.

Right, who would want their plays on television besides other teams? And if you don't want your sheet shown cover your mouth with the menu that most of them look like they can't put down.

The camera was focusing in on the side that was closest to his mouth. They focused in on an angle coming from behind him, and showed some of the plays. They backed off as soon as they realized, though. Obviously it's not the side that normally faces towards the cameras that they caught on video. And yes, teams do want the opponent's plays on TV. But there's a difference between Tivo-ing the game and deciphering plays from network tape and making your own. Just because they're covering their mouth doesn't mean the other team is specifically making a tape trying to steal the signals or plays.

The camera was focusing in on the side that was closest to his mouth. They focused in on an angle coming from behind him, and showed some of the plays. They backed off as soon as they realized, though. Obviously it's not the side that normally faces towards the cameras that they caught on video. And yes, teams do want the opponent's plays on TV. But there's a difference between Tivo-ing the game and deciphering plays from network tape and making your own. Just because they're covering their mouth doesn't mean the other team is specifically making a tape trying to steal the signals or plays.

It's to prevent the other team from seeing what you're calling! Be it lip reading in real time, or tapes, and yes they're concerned about lip reading I've heard Eagles players confirm this on WIP well before the spygate thing. The point is if people are taking precautions from having their signals stolen it's probably because it happens all the time. Like people who live in a high crime area take many more precautions than those who don't. And please explain the difference between tivo'in it and making your own? The whole thing is ridiculous because if you were really worried about getting caught doing it a 3rd grader could come up with a way to tape signals and not get caught!!!!!!!!!!!! Fact is the rule was stupid, because their is so many ways to get around it.

It's funny how this is always mentioned during games but the media and talking heads on ESPN act like they have never mentioned it before since spygate.

It's to prevent the other team from seeing what you're calling! Be it lip reading in real time, or tapes, and yes they're concerned about lip reading I've heard Eagles players confirm this on WIP well before the spygate thing. The point is if people are taking precautions from having their signals stolen it's probably because it happens all the time. Like people who live in a high crime area take many more precautions than those who don't. And please explain the difference between tivo'in it and making your own? The whole thing is ridiculous because if you were really worried about getting caught doing it a 3rd grader could come up with a way to tape signals and not get caught!!!!!!!!!!!! Fact is the rule was stupid, because their is so many ways to get around it.

Wow, I had a feeling someone might ask "what's the difference between Tivo-ing it and making your own??" Well let's see...the cameras of the networks are controlled by the networks. They don't go out of their way to try and catch defense signals, etc. They try to show the play of the game, not steal signals. If you make your own, then surprise, that's against the rules.

And just because there's "so many ways to get around it" makes it a stupid rule? So would you say that the laws against insurance fraud, hacking, etc. are stupid because "there's so many ways to get around it?" It's a rule, get over it.

I'm sure that players are concerned about lip reading. So what? That has nothing to do with videotaping. There's a huge difference between lip reading (being perceptive) and purposely getting a video tape that you can try and interpret later (being deceptive).

As I stated in another thread - it's not the fact that signals are being stolen, it's the method of doing it. If you happen to look over to the sideline and see an opposing coach mouth "BLITZ," that's not against the rules. But using deceptive methods to try and steal the signals, that is.

Well, I'm glad your video guy wasn't smarter than a 3rd grader then. Because somehow, he got caught.

It's also a big part of why they put a speaker in the QB's helmets. As we all know, we didn't cheat we just broke a rule. Speeding, not drunk driving.

whom are drunk drivers cheating?

sorry, but i can't help myself

nor can i behave

Last edited:
We tried to steal signals in high school. Everybody does it. The problem is the Patriots were arrogant about it.

anyone ever play highschool ball back in the 80s? remember how play calls went in...at least on our team...we'd have one guy, switch out every play, running in the call to the qb...unless someone attacked him and tortured him into giving up the play call by the time he got to the huddle...stealing signals was never an issue in HS ball.

ahh...those were the days...none of this other crap, just call the play, run it in, run the play and let the warriors decide on the field if it was a good call or not...

not saying the NFL should do this...just remembering when when the game loved me, as much as I love the game.

He covers his mouth because he doesn't want his mouthful of polish sausage to fall out. :D

Last edited:
Wow, I had a feeling someone might ask "what's the difference between Tivo-ing it and making your own??" Well let's see...the cameras of the networks are controlled by the networks. They don't go out of their way to try and catch defense signals, etc. They try to show the play of the game, not steal signals. If you make your own, then surprise, that's against the rules.

No it isn't.

I'm sure that players are concerned about lip reading. So what? That has nothing to do with videotaping. There's a huge difference between lip reading (being perceptive) and purposely getting a video tape that you can try and interpret later (being deceptive).

Then where's Miami's punishment? (See John Clayton's article, sorry I don't have the link, but it's been posted here several times)

As I stated in another thread - it's not the fact that signals are being stolen, it's the method of doing it.

What a load of crap! That's like saying "It's not the fact that he took roids, it's the way he took them."

No it isn't.

Um, yes it is. That's why Goodell sent out a memo at the beginning of the season. That's why the Pats got punished.

Then where's Miami's punishment? (See John Clayton's article, sorry I don't have the link, but it's been posted here several times)

I didn't realize I have to clarify every word. The better word would be "making" a video tape, not "getting." Happy?

As I stated in another thread - it's not the fact that signals are being stolen, it's the method of doing it.

What a load of crap! That's like saying "It's not the fact that he took roids, it's the way he took them."

Did you read the rest of that paragraph? There's a huge difference between looking over and being able to see what they're communicating to each other (again, being perceptive), and purposefully going against the rules and making a tape of the signals to match up to the plays later.

Your analogy is completely wrong. If, as NE fans say, stealing signals is so prevalent (and probably not officially against the rules), then it's not a big deal. It is the WAY they did it that was against the rules. Whereas taking steroids (no matter how you do it) is against the rules, and against the law.

There is a line between being perceptive and being deceptive. The deception is what's against the rule.

This is beyond the whole purpose of the thread anyway. The original poster asked a question, and I answered it. I don't see what the problem is.

Last edited:
Point taken as it refers to breaking the rules part, but the original point I was trying to make is that stealing signals is an old part of the game, the rule that it's ok to tape if you're under some sort of cover (roof etc.) is stupid. The fact is that if BB really wanted to cheat or thought he was cheating or doing something that the culture in the NFL would find so outrageous he would have been alot more decpetive about it. Joe average person can go to any spy shop and by taping equipment that is indetectable.

Because back in '99, Mike Shanahan hired lip readers to sit in the stands and lip read opposing coaches. Word of this eventually got out.

That's why you see a lot of coaches using their laminated cheat sheets to cover their mouths when speaking into the mike, and ironically, that includes the aforementioned Shanahan.

Did you read the rest of that paragraph? There's a huge difference between looking over and being able to see what they're communicating to each other (again, being perceptive), and purposefully going against the rules and making a tape of the signals to match up to the plays later.

Your analogy is completely wrong. If, as NE fans say, stealing signals is so prevalent (and probably not officially against the rules), then it's not a big deal. It is the WAY they did it that was against the rules. Whereas taking steroids (no matter how you do it) is against the rules, and against the law.

There is a line between being perceptive and being deceptive. The deception is what's against the rule.

This is beyond the whole purpose of the thread anyway. The original poster asked a question, and I answered it. I don't see what the problem is.

The Pats got punished for "where" they placed their camera. There is no rule against making videos accept where you can film from. This is the main point that keeps being missed.

My analogy was to point out the phony outrage at "how you steel signals" as apposed to just stealing signals, because we all know theres no rules against it. So since the Pats haters want to make a huge huge deal over this, they need to say "it was the way they did it". Remember, all this phony outrage is over the "integrity of the game". So, any other form of stealing signals is ok, but only the taping is a threat to the integrity?

Here's another analogy. It's like saying it's only a crime if you kill someone using a gun, all other forms of murder are ok. Your whole bit about being deceptive is, as I said before, a load of crap.

What a pantload!

They were hit because of the placement of their camera on the field, not because they were "making their own"!

Where's the turnip truck you just fell off of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots