Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Do We Celebrate Columbus Day?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This is one of the official reasons?

But is there a modern day common sense reason?

Why don't we just call it October Day Weekend ... nice and generic?

it's nice to have a long weekend before winter comes along.

great for youth soccer tournaments ... it's kind of a tradition for that.

great for festivals and overall fun ... so perhaps we keep it.

HOWEVER .....

New reason to celebrate it and give it another name ... that's the thread challenge.

Besides ... columbus did not discover us ... did he :confused3:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

Why do you hate America? ;)
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

:rofl: .... good one.

Seriously ... why do we celebrate Columbus Day?

Veterans Day has a good reason.
    Memorial Day has a good reason.
    Labor Day has a decent reason.
    Martin Luther King Day is a good reason.

Then there is Columbus Day ... the dude was a slave trader and an Indian killer.

Columbus was Hitler before Hitler was Hitler.

We celebrate a guy that traded slaves ... but we celebrate a guy who signifies equality for blacks in America.

So the guy landed here ... he was not the first ... he was the first to rape and pilfer it perhaps ... but he was not the first to discover it.

We really should call it Scandinavian Day if we wish to honor who discovered it.
  4. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There are so many reasons why Columbus Day is a joke:

- Columbus never discovered North America. He landed somewhere in or near Cuba.

- He "discovered" a continent already inhabited by hundreds of millions of people, some with very advanced spiritual or astrological cultures.

- Once he got there he immediately began slavery, genocide, and theft all in the name of God (or early versions of Manifest Destiny).

- In his own time period he was charged and jailed as a criminal by Spain.

I think this holiday only makes sense from those who think the "civilized" world discovered a land inhabited by backwards savages. It's basically very heavily influenced by white supremacist ideology.
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Good stuff ... and i know we are loathe to get rid of holidays ... we should just repackage it ... call it something else.
  6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, he was Italian. the only true civilized society the world has ever really known. So yeah.:D

Besides, what do you have against the North End?
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

North End rules ... I'm 1/2 Italian ... the world would be dull without Italy.

But Columbus was way up Spain's azz.
  8. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, he was seen "holding court" with Isabella.;)
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Phew ... that's nasty.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I always wondered why there was such an uproar over MLK holiday, when you had Columbus Day. Logically, a swap could have been made, but you know people would have been up in arms. I still don't get it.
  11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

A swap .... :rofl: .... +++++
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/presidential-proclamation-columbus-day

For Immediate Release October 9, 2009 COLUMBUS DAY, 2009
    - - - - - - -
    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION
    More than 500 years have passed since Christopher Columbus set sail across the Atlantic Ocean in a bold attempt to expand human understanding of the known world. His voyage radically altered the course of history and changed our world forever.

Many generations later, that same spirit of exploration inspires Americans to pursue brave new frontiers in business, science, and technology. Today, we reflect on the transformation of North America from a land of boundless opportunity to the modern communities of the 21st century.

Born in Genoa, Italy, Christopher Columbus' journey aboard three Spanish ships revealed a new land for many European nations whose people would later flock to our shores in search of prosperity and freedom. These immigrants joined many thriving indigenous communities who suffered great hardships as a result of the changes to the land they inhabited.

Although their competing ways of life were initially at odds, over time, the "New World" became a culturally and ethnically diverse place where we now enjoy the free exchange of ideas and democratic self-governance. Tribal communities continue to strengthen our Nation through their rich heritage and unique identity.

Columbus inspired generations of men and women to search out the farthest reaches of the world. From the coasts of Newfoundland to the Gulf of Mexico, explorers of Italian descent have directly influenced the growth of North America.

Their dedication to our country has helped lay the foundation on which America was built. Today, Italian Americans continue to contribute immeasurably to the identity of our Nation, as role models, leaders, innovators, and committed public servants. From the boardroom to the classroom, they are prominent in every facet of American life.

In commemoration of Christopher Columbus' historic exploration 517 years ago, the Congress, by joint resolution of April 30, 1934 (48 Stat. 657), and an Act of June 28, 1968 (82 Stat. 250), has requested that the President proclaim the second Monday of October of each year as "Columbus Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim October 12, 2009, as Columbus Day. I call upon all the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I also direct that the flag of the United States be displayed on all public buildings on the appointed day in honor of Christopher Columbus.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

This is where I am for Columbus day weekend
    ... i hope there are no dead natives under the field.
  15. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

George Bush hates black people :)
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The important part is that we weren't discovered by anyone working for France. If we were stuck eating Croissants all the time and limited to building tanks that only went backwards then where would we be?
  17. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If the issue is to celebrate Italian Americans, then just make it Italian Day or recognize a notable Italian American. Make it into a party holiday or weekend like St Patty's Day is.

Just don't call it Columbus Day or celebrate that individual. It has so many negative connotations and meanings by trying to celebrate the "discovery" of millions of native people by a genocidal supremacist.
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

History Channel is doing a segment on Columbus Day right now. I caught a little and will try to catch more later. One notion, was that the Chinese were over here "well" before Columbus. Couple of interesting items. Maps, they seem to have been first drawn by the Chinese. I remember a story of Columbus asking for maps from someone (Uncle?). Logically, if your following a map, you were not first. The other item mentioned were the ships built by the Chinese. One ship was 400 feet long with live holding compartments for fish and chickens. Smaller ships would sail next to it with water and other essentials.
  19. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jigga what?
  20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +579 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I think we should call it Immigrants Day ... and celebrate all the great immigrants who helped build this country. I'm 1/2 italian but it's kind of selfish to celebrate italian americans and leave out the others.

Immigrants Day ... i like it.