PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do sports writers insist on misinformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A perfect example is John Tomase' article on McGinest in today's Herald.

Tomase writes:
He’s due to make $8.3 million and will likely be released before a $3.5 million roster bonus comes due in early March, saving the team $6.8 million against the salary cap.

This is blatant misinformation. Or proof that Tomase shouldn't be on the NFL beat because he's got no clue about the salary cap. Or both. (of course I am biased as I had to put up with Tomase' idiocy while he wrote for the Lawrence Eagle Tribune).

McGinest is NOT due to make 8.3 Million this year. He's due to make 7 Million and possibly has NLTBE incentives that could bump it higher. But the NLTBE bonuses don't count until they are earned.

Anyways, I am finding this to be the case more and more. That they are either clueless or just downright lie to make a story. And I am honestly tired of it.

I am almost resigned to reading just Mike Reiss, though that's not a bad thing.

Why would you say it is "blatant"? Are you saying he purposely attempted to
mislead?

Here is some background from Miguels history on Willie.

March 3, 2004 update On 3/3 the Boston Globe's Michael Smith reported - "At the close of business Monday, the Patriots were $2.23 million under the cap, thanks in part to a minor restructuring of Willie McGinest's contract. He had $2 million in incentives counting against the cap this year; they merely treated them as "not-likely-to-be-earned" incentives that, if earned, would be charged against the 2005 cap. New England reduced McGinest's cap number from $5.671 million to $3.671 million.
March 13, 2005 update From the Boston Herald - Next year the same scenario could play itself out again with a couple of significant players. Willie McGinest is due for a $3.5 million roster bonus as well as a boost in base pay from $2 million (this year's number) to $3.5 million."

Is the "$3.5 million roster bonus" mentioned above also not accurate?

Do you have other references?

His Cap number is 8.3 mil, unless he is cut, according to Miguels pages. That is really all any of us should be concerned with. So the reporter was inaccurate.

How much money he actually makes is really none of my business.

Reporters report inaccurate information because standards have fallen over the years. This is in all parts of the news media so sports reporters are just part of that.

It looks as if this thread is going to turn into another pissing contest between two of three posters.

JR4 said:
Why would you say it is "blatant"? Are you saying he purposely attempted to
mislead?

Here is some background from Miguels history on Willie.

March 3, 2004 update On 3/3 the Boston Globe's Michael Smith reported - "At the close of business Monday, the Patriots were $2.23 million under the cap, thanks in part to a minor restructuring of Willie McGinest's contract. He had $2 million in incentives counting against the cap this year; they merely treated them as "not-likely-to-be-earned" incentives that, if earned, would be charged against the 2005 cap. New England reduced McGinest's cap number from $5.671 million to $3.671 million.
March 13, 2005 update From the Boston Herald - Next year the same scenario could play itself out again with a couple of significant players. Willie McGinest is due for a $3.5 million roster bonus as well as a boost in base pay from $2 million (this year's number) to $3.5 million."

Is the "$3.5 million roster bonus" mentioned above also not accurate?

Do you have other references?

JR - You are missing the point. The point is that the 8.3 million is Willie's CAP NUMBER. That is NOT how much Willie is scheduled to be paid. Its clear that Tomase either doesn't understand the cap or is blatantly misleading in his article. Either way, its poor journalism.

I do agree it is poor journalism...and it is sad that MOST of the Football writers here are like that..(MReiis is always on top of things..and if he misses something, he's the only one it seems to ever point it out...which is why in my book he's the BEST!!...Does one hear Felger or Cafardo or anyone else ever say that when they get something wrong???)

DaBruinz said:
JR - You are missing the point. The point is that the 8.3 million is Willie's CAP NUMBER. That is NOT how much Willie is scheduled to be paid. Its clear that Tomase either doesn't understand the cap or is blatantly misleading in his article. Either way, its poor journalism.

yep missed what you were getting at ...

reporter said
" He’s due to make $8.3 million"

he should have said something like.
"His CAP hit will be $8.3 million"

JR4 said:
yep missed what you were getting at ...

reporter said
" He’s due to make $8.3 million"

he should have said something like.
"His CAP hit will be $8.3 million"

No problem JR. It happens to everyone.

As I said in my original post, I am biased against Tomase from his days of disgracing the Lawrence Eagle Tribune.. He reminds me of Wrong Borges with his writing. Its why I almost never read his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back