PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Do Some People Around Here Dislike Talking About the Past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBledsoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I've noticed that threads which delve into Patriots history get some people in there who wonder why we bother talking about the past....

I don't get it! Patriots history has some good stuff in it!

We all would love to see today's guys make some history of thier own.

Primarily from what I have seen in the past years in here is that threads pertaining to history are posted during the slow summer and offseason months along with the draft talk.

I've noticed that threads which delve into Patriots history get some people in there who wonder why we bother talking about the past....

Last year we were a hair from winning the SB, meaning last year was a very successful season. 4 Years ago we were one seriously good catch from having the greatest season of the modern NFL (if not ever), yet that was a very successful season in the larger context. But the Patriot past has set a high standard for the Patriot present. Unlike pretty much every other team -- save an exception or two -- anything short of SB victory can evoke serious anger and inconsolable disappointment along with loud calls for change. Right or wrong, for better or for worse, the past has set a bar that is very high. And with expectations set that high yet the top prize remaining so close yet out of reach for quite a few years now, the past can be a reminder of the days the Patriots would eke out the victory versus eke out the loss.
That's my hypothesis... which very well could be a lot of late Friday night BS.....:D

Its a lack of imagination in sports today which bothers me. Everyone is compared to someone who has already had success. Growing up Yaz was Yas. Rice was Rice. Bourque was Bourque. I'm so sick of the term he 's the next bruschi, he 's the next Seymour-Tippett and so on. It makes me cringe when I read these comparisons. Especially the Brady Montana thread that appears every other week.

The past are cherrished memories and should be remembered fondly. However people need to realize times change, personal comes and goes, new heroes are born, new villians are created. Evolve with the game and the generation of football you are in as a fan.

Like what? Name a theme that somebody didn't like and what their beef was with it. I have no idea what type of beef you're referring to.

Need more specifics, if there is a deficit here it is the continual whining about a personnel move, draft choice or game decision that has somehow adversely affected this team.

Patriots history has some high spots, but unfortunately up to the mid 90's it had a lot of rough points..

i go back a long way, brother. you want to discuss pats history? i'm your huckleberry. helps me shake off the cobwebs.

Having witnessed every single moment of the Pats history, I can honestly say there were some great moments there, and some not so great. It would take quite a bit of memory jogging for me to put it all here.

Well, I don't want to name names....but it's not a HUGE trend but something I've noticed. Threads dealing with Patriots' history pre-2001 will usually get a few people coming in and saying the past was crap because they weren't winners.

Like I say, it just struck me as odd that people here on a Patriots fan board could get annoyed that somebody likes past Patriot players, maybe preferring them over current players. *You got me, I like Drew better than Brady, but I can admit Brady's a better quarterback. I just have more fondness for #11.

*rambling

Tuck and 1960, glad to hear it!:)

Last edited:
During the offseason, there is a huge amount of historical debate and appreciation on here. In-season there are so many dynamics in play with the Patriots and the NFL, it's a distraction from the task at hand. In the words of Bill Belichick, "I can only talk about the players that are here."

OP mistakes some fans' criticism of hero Bledsoe for "hating the past". The VAST majority of Patsfans posters in threads about the past enjoy the discussions. See the recent excellent Brisby thread. EDIT: and the Givens thread. HELLLO!!!!

People need to think before posting a thread.

Last edited:

Bandwagon.jpg

honestly i do not think so; personally i love the Pats history from day 1 to the present

the discussions about the 'past' are very often appreciated and many 'old' fans are always
posting something interesting that personally i love to read

as a fan (like i am) i love the good and the bad of our franchise

i love at the same level what Mr R Kraft and Mr B Sullivan done for the Patriots, Brady and Bledsoe, Gronkowski and Coates, T Brown and Stanley Morgan, Hannah and Mankins, Nelson and Mc Ginest and so on...

Last edited:
I have no problem with talking about the past. I have a problem when people compare past teams to discredit the current team. Even then you can certainly look at previous years for trends and tendencies, but you have to remember that the past is the past and different eras have different rules, situations, etc.

I love talking about the past. I think I am currently interested in the present, but I don't mind a good discussion of past teams.

I haven't noticed it, if I did I'd object to complaints as well. Anybody who's followed the team since before 2001 can appreciate the old memories. I haven't been a fan nearly as long as most here (1993) so I'm not going to act like I've endured or been through as much as those fans, but 20 years is still a long time. All I can say is that threads like the Vincent Brisby one put a huge smile in my face, going through and seeing names like Ben Coates, Michael Timpson, Shawn Jefferson, Chris Slade etc., it's hard to see any fan from the past enjoying those threads.

I have no problem with talking about the past. I have a problem when people compare past teams to discredit the current team. Even then you can certainly look at previous years for trends and tendencies, but you have to remember that the past is the past and different eras have different rules, situations, etc.

I love talking about the past. I think I am currently interested in the present, but I don't mind a good discussion of past teams.

x2. I can talk about the past all day. But most of the time, bringing stats and historical events from the past to predict future events doesn't work. Case in point, last sunday's game.

You seem to conclude that those people who dislike discussing the past are like that because they don't know (or deny) that the Pats history has some good stuff.

If so, erroneous logic IMO.

But then, the need to have a thread wondering why people disagree on a public internet forum is something that I don't get. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back