Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Do So Many Limbaugh Followers Trust Corporations?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Aug 13, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Corporations are legal entities with rights as if they were real people, but they act without any morals or consideration for being a responsible or moral citizen. Their #1 mandate is profit and to benefit their shareholders, they don't give a sh*t about harming other people if they can get away with it (basically acting like psychopaths). Look at how moral all the financial institutions and hedge funds have been.

Documentary about corporations as psychopaths:
    The Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do these Limbaugh followers really want more corporations in charge of your health and life? The last person I trust to care for my health is my private insurance company. It makes no sense to me that people trust corporations as if the free market is going to solve everything. Adam Smith was wrong - unbridled capitalism results in a free hand that takes advantage of people if it can, at the expense of lives and health if it can.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

We are up sh!t creek without a paddle, it's either them or that gang of scummy politicians who are always grinning at us.

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Because corporations pay massive amounts of money to influence the way they are perceived. Ever see one of those Chevron magazine ads asserting how environmentally friendly they are? I mean, seriously.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

I think it's naivety. Government by law is more transparent and by nature is more vetted (by good government groups, the media, and opposition parties). Private companies are far more secretive, so we don't as easily learn about their corruption.

I think that many conservatives naively believe that if we don't know about corruption, there is none. In my opinion, and I know something about big business, there is every kind and category of corruption in the private sector that would not be tolerated in the public sector. An example: When I worked for a management consulting company, an insurance company asked us to identify ways for them to avoid overpayments, but when the same process also identified ways to avoid underpayments, we were asked to eliminate that part of the process. (My employer allowed anyone who objected to quit that project and work on different one.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Look at the list of health insurance companies who have settled or had to pay after losing lawsuits against them for dishonest, predatory, or immoral health insurance practices. It's insane to put trust into profiteers when it comes to your own body, especially given the history of capitalist corporations in all sorts of industries.

6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

From what i have read HERE over the years i get the impression that they worship at the alter of capitalism. Corporations and executives can do no wrong even when they are shown to be gauging the same people that are defending them.

They have a right to make as much money as they possibly can no matter how out of touch it is with the mojority. Exec's make 400 X's what the average worker makes

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Hmm...corporations suck, but so doesn't the gubmit the last time I checked. Corporations suck, but so don't lawyers the last time I checked. Corporations suck, but so don't alot of everyday citizens, the last time I checked. Corporations suck, but so don't a lot of politicians, and I don't have to check. The point is that we, as individuals, need to protect ourselves from the ills of all those I mentioned above. Just cuz corps suck, it doesn't mean the gubmit, or lawyers, or people don't. I hate corporations, generally speaking, but I also despise the gubmit, lawyers, politicians, and a lot of everyday people.

The bottom line is that everyone can go to hell! Grrrrr!!! :)

8. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Real World's right. He's one of the sane, productive citizens here at this forum.

Corporations survive by voluntary contributions. They may attempt coercion through advertising, but the last time I checked Microsoft wasn't able to prevent my purchasing an Apple computer last year.

My DOT DC lawyer buddy told me we needed the government to counterbalance the power of Microsoft, which he felt was stronger than the gov't.

Hogwash. Corporations don't have the armed forces, hordes of bureaucrats, or nuclear weapons. Give me a break.

The government survives by legal plunder. Taxes aren't voluntary. Try to stop paying them and eventually the guys in black with the night vision goggles and the slicked-out M-4's will pay a visit. And it won't be pleasant.

Mav4, you're too intelligent for this hothouse sociology class treatment. Powerful corporations can't force people to fork over money like Uncle Sam can. They're not even comparable.

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You can't seriously use voluntary and Microsoft in the same sentence. They lost the antitrust case for crying out loud! Also, it seems that you are unaware of important concepts such as vendor lock-in, and forced obsolescence. In fact, MS is a great example of a company with an inferior product that businesses feel compelled to purchase due to their market share and their ability to almost give their OS away to OEMs. :ugh:

They lost their antitrust case and paid a pittance in penalties. The EU has much, much more aggressively fined MS.

Except out government only employed bureaucrats against MS, an attack that MS easily countered.

Yours is a truly awful argument, and you are badly misinformed on the subject.

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Mav, I agree the corp. model is a dangerous one to society. How would you propose we change it?

Personally, I'd rather see every company be privately held.

11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If you agree corporations are dangerous, yet want all behavior to be through private companies... then you need major regulation of industries, much more than what we have today.

By the way, is anyone else amused by the fact that State owns a Mac?

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

I don't know if its already been said, but imo because the people that listen to Limbaaugh, beck etc. only get their news from these people. Plus in a study done a Harvard people tend to listen to what reinforces what they already believe. So the people that listen to Limbaugh Beck, Fox will continue to the exclusion of all others. But the same could be said of the other side.

13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree.

Also, back to the health insurance issue, has anyone ever bothered to actually read their health insurance contract? I have *very* good health insurance, and I know there are still tons of ways that my private insurance company tries to get out of any potential payments, based on all sorts of clauses and loop holes to deny coverage.

I read recently that 75% (SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT) of those Americans bankrupt from health-related issues *had* health insurance before their illness/cancer/disease/accident. They thought they were covered, like we all do, until they received the denial letter.

14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Yet, in the health-care industry, there still isn't much choice for the patient, and at the same time you know these private insurers are doing everything they can to get out of paying for anything major.

At least the government is still accountable to the people in election cycles. In certain private industries, like health-care, it's more like an oligopoly nightmare for the consumer.