PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people want to replace BJGE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing stupidity, even for you. A guy who is a UDFA joins the team, and is supposed to take over for the first-round pick. Right. BenJarvus ousted Maroney, and everyone here but you knows he managed it because he is a more talented back than Maroney.

Your argument could be used against Brady to say, why didn't Brady replace Bledsoe immediately if he's so good. Stupidity!!!!!

We're constantly told that draft position doesn't matter with BB, and that talent wins out. You're essentially arguing that BB kept BJGE as the team's #5 RB because he was a UFDA and Maroney was a first round pick. That, unfortunately for your argument, doesn't explain why he'd be behind the other running backs.

Last edited:
What tells me his not easy to upgrade is that the suggestions being made by fans (Mendenhall, Marshawn Lynch and Shonn Greene, for instance) would not work here. Greene is better at breaking tackles, but he's not as fast as Green-Ellis nor is he a homerun threat. Mendenhall is better at breaking tackles and is a homerun threat, but he lacks vision, dances behind the line like Maroney and gets stuffed for losses often. Lynch dances behind the line and is a POS which is why he was given the heave-ho in Buffalo.

People think the grass is greener.

Can we upgrade by going for the all-pros at the position.

Of course, but ever since Sam Cunningham, New England has drafted only ONE player like that.

It's been thirty years. One player. Countless RBs drafted in the top rounds: Tony Collins, Craig James, Robert Weathers, John Stephens, Reggie Dupard, Curtis Martin, Robert Edwards, Lawrence Maroney, JR Redmond, Kevin Faulk, Sedrick Shaw, Leonard Russell, Jon Williams, Vagas Ferguson, Horace Ivory.

The Patriots have drafted 15 backs in the top rounds over a span of 30 years, and of those backs only 1 has been an upgrade over BenJarvus--with the possible exception of Robert Edwards who was injured in his second year.

Now I know that's a poor drafting record, but still... those All-Pro RBs are hard to find.
I want to make sure I understand your argument.
Are you PREDICTING that BJGE will surpass those guys or are you claiming he is already better?
There are many players on that list who were better RBs for a year than BJGE was in his one year. I think your memory is off.
Maroney, btw is very arguable. He was certainly as good in 2007 as BJGE was this year.
Edwards, Stevens (ridiculous to compare BJGE this year to Jon Stephens rookie year) Martin, James, Collins all had better seasons, and Ivory and Ferguson probably did too, but it was a diffrent league and very hard to compare. Leonard Russell would be a pretty good equal.

There are many players on that list who were better RBs for a year than BJGE was in his one year. I think your memory is off.
Maroney, btw is very arguable. He was certainly as good in 2007 as BJGE was this year.

The numbers don't show that.

Amazing stupidity, even for you. A guy who is a UDFA joins the team, and is supposed to take over for the first-round pick. Right. BenJarvus ousted Maroney, and everyone here but you knows he managed it because he is a more talented back than Maroney.

Your argument could be used against Brady to say, why didn't Brady replace Bledsoe immediately if he's so good. Stupidity!!!!!

Maroney was a jerk and was ditched while they could get something for him. Look at the mugshot, the team knew something.

BJGE did a good job after he was handed the job because Taylor wasn't up to it physically.

Since people here are so big on statistics, look up the yards per carry of all our backs in the 2010 preseason and tell me BJGE "beat" anyone out.

We're constantly told that draft position doesn't matter with BB, and that talent wins out. You're essentially arguing that BB kept BJGE as the team's #5 RB because he was a UFDA and Maroney was a first round pick. That, unfortunately for your argument, doesn't explain why he'd be behind the other running backs.

Yeah then explain Brady. He didn't beat Bledsoe out for the job in that first year, must have questionable talent I guess.

What I'm saying is he learned the ropes. Just like countless other Patriots have. That much should be obvious to all but the most obtuse posters here.

I want to make sure I understand your argument.
Are you PREDICTING that BJGE will surpass those guys or are you claiming he is already better?
Edwards, Stevens (ridiculous to compare BJGE this year to Jon Stephens rookie year) Martin, James, Collins all had better seasons, and Ivory and Ferguson probably did too, but it was a diffrent league and very hard to compare. Leonard Russell would be a pretty good equal.

Obviously I agreed on Edwards and Martin, so I'm not sure why you compared them. James had one good year and fell into oblivion.

I don't think Maroney was ever as good as BJGE this year. Nowhere near as consistent. Maroney has a propensity for dancing behind the line and this put the Patriots in tough situations that we largely avoided this year.

Maroney was a jerk and was ditched while they could get something for him. Look at the mugshot, the team knew something.

BJGE did a good job after he was handed the job because Taylor wasn't up to it physically.

Since people here are so big on statistics, look up the yards per carry of all our backs in the 2010 preseason and tell me BJGE "beat" anyone out.

Preseason?

bring back Bam Childress!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah then explain Brady. He didn't beat Bledsoe out for the job in that first year, must have questionable talent I guess.

What I'm saying is he learned the ropes. Just like countless other Patriots have. That much should be obvious to all but the most obtuse posters here.

Ok, you're now equating Drew Bledsoe, a 4 time Pro Bowler, with Laurence Maroney. That should tell you how bad your argument is, yet you think it's got some validity. :bricks:

Preseason?

bring back Bam Childress!!!!!!!!!!

Well, did he beat out Maroney, or not?

There aren't many places on the field left without holes, so be careful where you move those goal posts.

Ok, you're now equating Drew Bledsoe, a 4 time Pro Bowler, with Laurence Maroney. That should tell you how bad your argument is, yet you think it's got some validity. :bricks:

Man, one strawman after another, when you're beat, you're beat. You just try to maintain face with this ridiculous argument, but what ends up happening instead is your knee jerks so hard it slams you in the nose.

No one compared Maroney to Bledsoe.

The comparison was obvious to everyone else here who could read.

A green player without much experience spends a year doing nothing and then replaces a player that he ends up being much better than.

OBVIOUS to anyone who has admitted being wrong at least once in his life.

Well, did he beat out Maroney, or not?

There aren't many places on the field left without holes, so be careful where you move those goal posts.

What are you saying, he didn't beat him out? I mean, Maroney hardly even played this entire preseason. What is the argument again? What does preseason have to do with it?

It should be obvious to any Patriots fan that BJGE beat out Maroney.

Yes, he beat him out.

Man, one strawman after another, when you're beat, you're beat. You just try to maintain face with this ridiculous argument, but what ends up happening instead is your knee jerks so hard it slams you in the nose.

No one compared Maroney to Bledsoe.

The comparison was obvious to everyone else here who could read.

A green player without much experience spends a year doing nothing and then replaces a player that he ends up being much better than.

OBVIOUS to anyone who has admitted being wrong at least once in his life.

Really?

There's no straw man here. It's abundantly clear that you're equating Bledsoe to Maroney and Brady to BJGE in your analogy argument. The problem is that your argument sucks. It's a hell of a lot easier to beat out a Maroney level player than it is to beat out a Bledsoe level player. I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that.

Last edited:
How many times this season did Law Firm carry the ball two or three times in a row? We need a guy who can gain yards and first downs (and a line that can support him) even when the other team KNOWS we're running. Law Firm is not a feature back, he's a change-up to the passing game. We need a guy that defenses fear enough to worry about defending the run even in apparent passing situations. Being steady and reliable enough not to fumble or lose yards is great, but not the legitimate threat needed to take pressure off Brady.

Again....this is a coaching/play calling problem and not a personnel issue. This is also because our OL continues to crumble against alot of defenses and CAN NOT open the holes necessary to spring the RB...that usnt a BJGE or woody problem....you want to give BJGE the rock 35 times a game and he'll take it and get it done....but open some friggin holes for him!...It starts with.the OL getting it done ...which instills confidence into the OC.....who can then call MORE.running plays....then the RB will take it from there!...first and foremost get.some good OL...and cut.the dead wood.(light koppen neal, kaczur etc)

Last edited:
BJGE couldn't beat out Maroney.

Now I've heard it all.

One of the more ludicrous posts in the history of this place.

Sometimes everything needs to be spelled out and explained...;)......It was not an issue that BJGE couldn't BEAT out maroney....it was more that Maroney was a first round pick and BB doesn't like to be proven wrong on his draft.picks....and I also think everyone had such high hopes for maroney and he had such apparent explosive potential....(dungy, shanny et all had him high on draft board)....that BB/PATS kept trying to find the superstar inside LoMo......but it wasn't there....samething happened with chad Jackson....and where is he now?

Last edited:
Obviously I agreed on Edwards and Martin, so I'm not sure why you compared them. James had one good year and fell into oblivion.

I don't think Maroney was ever as good as BJGE this year. Nowhere near as consistent. Maroney has a propensity for dancing behind the line and this put the Patriots in tough situations that we largely avoided this year.
I responded to your post, cant really keep up with all the revisions.
Maroney in 2007 and BJGE in 2010 were as close to equal as it gets.
How can James not be considered to have been a better RB for the Patriots when he had one good year (thats not true, he had 2) that was better than BJGEs one good year? Again I ask, what is your argument?

Here is a guy who worked his way into the line-up with hard work and a can do attitude. He became the 1st Patriots RB since Dillon to put up 1000 yards in a season. He had a 4.4 YPC AND scored 13 TDs.. Yet, all I hear is people wanting to draft Mark Ingram or Mikel LeShoure as if that is going to make the running game better with the huge questions on the O-line with Neal, Mankins, Light and Koppen..

So, seriously, why is it that people want to replace this kid who did a helluva job this year?

We're not intent on replacing BJGE. He is the incumbent starter in 2011. But there is no harm in supplementating him with another guy who may be a bit more explosive to add variety and talent to the rushing attack. If BJGE were to go down, the roster is full of walking wounded/glass players like Morris/Taylor and 3rd down only RBs such as Woodhead/Faulk.

The same reason drafting McCourty was not a knock on Bodden, drafting another RB is not a knock on BJGE. There is definitely a need at the RB position. Although I'd say the OL and DL/Passrusher get higher priority on the list.

The reason Leshoure gets mentioned a lot is because he has a similar build and burst as a Corey Dillon, and the last time the Pats had a back like that running the football, they won a Superbowl. It has been shown time and again the past 3 seasons, that when the Pats passing game is stifled, their offense can go seriously belly up. Why not make the running game a strength for the playoffs? Mendenhall dominated the game against the Jets and he's a big reason why the Steelers are on their way to the Superbowl despite 2 Big Ben interceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back