DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Owens - EgoManiac
Moss - Pothead / Egomaniac
Walker - EgoManiac
C. Johnson - EgoManiac

Granted, there are the likes of Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison who just get the job done, but these other guys. Dang.

The only thing I can say about Johnson is that he hasn't bitten the hand that feeds him.

Owens, Moss and Walker all have and they've shown that they aren't better men for it.

Don't forget

Branch - greedy

I think Harrison had some minor fan-hitting issues or whatever too.

OR why are most of the players who have major issue's WR's -:) I really have no idea. Maybe being split off away from the rest of the team in formations makes them feel less like teammates -:) Probably not the reason. RB's and receivers get thier notoriety from what thiet stats are. Usually starting RB's are going to get thier 20+ touches a game no matter what to show what they can do. Some RB's have become vocal when they don't feel thier being used enough. WR's are lucky to get the ball thrown to them 10 times in a game. Therefore maybe when they don't, it causes them to be even more vocal and sometimes disruptive when they don't. Hell, TO complained last week and they threw his way 13 times -:) But for these O skill players stats translate into money. It's just a thought and I have no idea if it's true. Maybe we should consult Dr Phil

It's a documented fact that most top-flight wide receivers exhibit common personality traits of egotism, superiority complexes and remorselessness, because those traits are extremely useful in playing the position with success. You're isolated on an island outside, facing a single cornerback most of the time and you're constantly being asked to bail the team out in long yardage situations - it's natural that a guy that feels unstoppable and wants to demonstrate his personal superiority over a defender is going to be better suited for such a role. It's also why I think BB and Piolo value the position less than almost any other on the field.

When RBs score a TD, most realize that it's because of their OL. They are generally quick to acknowledge the fact in the end zone, and offer congrats to those who made his glory possible.

WRs, on the other hand, stand away from the men who do the dirty work. They see the DB across from them as the only one keeping them from the promised land. WRs have an NBA mentality, and when they have "punk'd" the DB, it's up to the QB to "just give them the damn ball." Therefore, when WRs score, it's because they are superior "playaz". They acknowledge nobody but themselves, and encourage the fans to do likewise, because they know that the NFL Network and, especially, ESPN will point their cameras at them. Glory to Me in the Highest. With such a distorted gameview, how can you not expect such egos to grow to uncoachable sizes?

because ever since they were kids and it became known that they were talented at football, they were told you are a great player and they've heard over and over and over again to cause there heads so big that they think that they're above and better than the game itself.

I think it's required, to become an elite talent the position.
You are by yourself, against one or two defenders on every single play. You don't get much action - in a 60 minute game, you get maybe 5 catches a game. Touchdowns are even more rare. So when good plays happen, you probably feel on top of the world, it must be the greatest high. I think to be able to go all out for such little action game after game, you have to be intense, egotistical, and a little kooky.

This question is similar to why many quarterbacks or even cornerbacks often develop arrogant personalities. It's the nature of the job, and eventually becomes who you are as a person.

Richter said:
It's a documented fact that most top-flight wide receivers exhibit common personality traits of egotism, superiority complexes and remorselessness, because those traits are extremely useful in playing the position with success. You're isolated on an island outside, facing a single cornerback most of the time and you're constantly being asked to bail the team out in long yardage situations - it's natural that a guy that feels unstoppable and wants to demonstrate his personal superiority over a defender is going to be better suited for such a role. It's also why I think BB and Piolo value the position less than almost any other on the field.

Yep. I remember reading something, I think it was on si.com, about receivers being the stand alone people on offence, quite literally, as Richter said. RBs can't be like that because they KNOW that their job is about other people.
I suppose it comes down to what position kids pick at school, as many stick with those positions through to the pros.
I'm guessing that the popular leader gets to be QB, the big kids go on the O line, the really tough, aggressive types play D, the shifty, fast kids with a tough streak pick RB and the "look how good I am" athletes pick WR.
It kind of worked like that in my very small contact with football at school, where we played during lunch times 20 years ago. The popular, mouthy, types were QBs, I was the fat kid at centre and so on.

Edit: It is worth noting that the best WR ever was anything but arrogant and selfish. Perhaps the younger players might want to look more at Jerry Rice than TO.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Owens - EgoManiac
Moss - Pothead / Egomaniac
Walker - EgoManiac
C. Johnson - EgoManiac

My answer as to why most of the "ELITE" WRs have major issues is because they are ***holes.

Some great ideas thrown out here guys, but I guess what I don't understand is that, even though the WR are "out on an island" they aren't ANYTHING without a QB who can get them the ball and without an O-line to give the QB time to get the ball.

I'm not sure that WRs are bigger jerks as a group than, say, defensive tackles (Haynesworth? Washington?) They may just be jerks in flashier and more visible ways. It wouldn't even make sense for players at other positions to take as many plays off as Randy Moss does. It wouldn't even make sense for them to criticize teammates for not recognizing their (real or imagined) accompishments mid-play the way TO does. Basically, for almost any position on the football field, it's an occupational hazard to be a prima donna, a sadistic bully, or both.

DaBruinz said:
Some great ideas thrown out here guys, but I guess what I don't understand is that, even though the WR are "out on an island" they aren't ANYTHING without a QB who can get them the ball and without an O-line to give the QB time to get the ball.

We know that they're not. They don't, however, for the reasons detailed herein. Immediately after scoring, they have the stage - the end zone - to themselves, and selfishly believe that all the applause is for them, and them only. They are the football definition of primma donna, diva, jerk, a-hole...They have been indoctrinated by the hip-hop culture of MTV and its corporate entertainment/media partners that the more disrespect and selfishnes you display, the more "street cred" you earn from the gangbangin', gansta-rappin' "community". Their "heroes" are Muhammed Ali, Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson... and the League goes right along with all of this. Witness the digraceful interpretations of the Pass Interference and the Roughing the Passer rules. The League has made it perfectly clear that these 2 positions are above all others, and that the safety from any harm whatsoever of these 2 positions supercede the safety and playmaking ability of all other positions, esp. on defense, combined. And some people want the Patriots to add Randy Moss and Jerry Porter? No, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back