PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do most Boston sports writers (except Reiss) hate the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I don't understand... why do the vast majority of our sports "journalists" hate our home team so much?

Last edited:
If its a story then they want to make it something huge. Or they just have a bias. Thats how pathetic the media is.

Last edited:
Because they want to be like New Yorkers.

They rather talk about the Sawx.

I don't understand... why do the vast majority of our sports "journalists" hate our home team so much?

Heh-I emphathize with you b/c 95% of our DFW media has just as much hatred toward our Cowboys...heck, sometimes, it feels like the Dallas Morning News has a PRO-EAGLES bias, for crying out loud!

Really though-it's probably a good thing b/c more negativity may help keep the coaches and players focused, as well as LOWER expectations(the better) for the fans.

Look at Philly's sports media-100% PURE biased homerism. Every summer, they go on and on how every darn player in every darn position will have some kind of breakout, Pro Bowl year-whether it was McFlabb making a *quick* recovery from knee surgury to Takeo Spikes bound to make a huge impact with Jeremiah Trotter at LB to Jeremy Bloom primed to be their star KR to Kevin Curtis/Reggie Brown being dynamic weapons for McFlabb to William James challenging Sheldon Brown for CB #2 to having DEPTH at ALL positions.

BTW-Trotter was cut, Bloom didn't even make the team, Brown continued to be a bust, and James was benched as their NICKEL back. lol

I think their hatred is geared towards BB more than anything.

2 inter-related possible Points boiling down to JEALOUSY/HATRED:

1. I think it is a statement about the media of today. 50 years ago the media saw themselves 'more' as recorders of history and observers of the goings on. They didn't put themselves in the story.

Now these guys think they themselves are part of the story. The big paydays in the business come with notoriety leading to your own show or chair on ESPN and radio. So they make it about them and what "they have found out"

2. BB is straight-forward. He respects anyone who does their job with skill and to full extent. He dis-respects the lazy slack azzs. Evident in his p.c.s When he gets the dumb repetitve question he gives back the fish eye stare and 3 word mumbled reply. When he gets someone who asks a technical knowledgeable question about why are you doing x rather than normal y etc. He will wax eloquent for 5 minutes and talk about historical examples of similar plays from 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Well a whole bunch of these guys are lazy azzs who think it is all about them and they just need to show up and the players and coaches should spoon feed them the next story. (how many times do you open up pats fans and see on herald and globe the same twined story with slightly different headlines and the same quote from a player at the heart of it.)

Plain and simple these guys see BB's success and that he doesnt want to share his largess of knowledge and skill with them. THey are jealous, lazy and vindictive.

Another dumba** reporter that keeps pushing his agenda is Michael Smith.

Gumby pretty much nailed it, but I'll expand a little bit on that.

1. The media don't want to report the story; they want to be the story.
Exhibit A would be the resume of one Jim Rome. Nobody knew his name until the infamous interview with Jim (Chris) Everett. Rather than being fired, his career took off and he is now worth millions.

2. Belichick didn't suck up to certain writers - whether it was due to those guys thinking too highly of themselves or due to asking stupid questions - and they neglected their duty as a reporter of the news and let their personal vendetta usurp unbiased analysis.

3. The media - newspapers, television, radio and the internet - are businesses. Though they would have you and me believe they are in the business of uncovering truth, that is not their purpose. Those enterprises are in the business of making money. They cover their expenses and salaries by selling advertisements. The more readers, viewers and listeners they attract, the more advertisers sign up, and the more they can charge for those ads.

Gossipy stories such as Spygate attract far more viewers than a breakdown of the Giants offense versus the patriots defense. The difference is drastic; to get an idea, head over to espn.com and take a look at how many comments there are posted on the 'scandal' stories as opposed to the analysis stories, and how many comments are based on scandal and gossip rather than analysis of the two teams.

So why do so many writers hate the Pats? Money! That's how they get paid: to get people to read what they write, and while they are there they'll see the ads.

Writing about the perfect season doesn't attract as many readers as a cheating scandal does; the real story is: what does all this say about us, the American public? America doesn't want to know about Brad Pitt helping displaced people in New Orleans; they want to hear about Britney Spears latest breakdown! America doesn't want to celebrate the greatest season by a team in the history of professional sports; they want to find something wrong and point their finger at them! America doesn't want a story about a great comeback; they want to laugh at the team that choked! The National Enquirer and it's "tsk - tsk" style of journalism has gone from low brow trailer trash to an accepted part of the American psyche - and journalism - and we are all the worse for it.

^You are spot on about the media and the other fans, America doesn't like a winner...they need to tear it down to make themselves feel better.

What do you call 100 sports writers at the bottom of the ocean? :D

1.Robert Kraft is jewish......or better known as a "whiny fat-ass %**"...
according to our estemed former speaker of the Massachusetts House of Reps.

2.The late Will Mcdonough of the Globe
was a Parcell's "toadie",who felt that Kraft and the Patriots betrayed his mentor by not prostrating themselves
before his glory.

All subsequent Globe sportswriters:
Shank,Jackie Mac,Ryan et al of the Irish Mafia,have continued this vendetta against Kraft and BB to honor
the memory of "Vlad the Impaler".
(Will Mcdonough)

At the Hereald....Kevin Mannix started the hate-fest against Kraft and especially Bill Belichick....he hated BB with a passion over some long ago slight.Today,Callahan,Buckley and
girley-man Massarrotti carry the torch
for Kevin Mannix.

The Globe,the South Boston pols,Billy Bulger,Tom Finneran never forgave Bob Kraft for trying to build in Southie.
......a "jew" in "our" city....no way,
He's not one of "our" guys.

I've lived in this city for 57 years and I
know some of the above miscreants.

I know what I'm talking about(sadly)

2 inter-related possible Points boiling down to JEALOUSY/HATRED:

1. I think it is a statement about the media of today. 50 years ago the media saw themselves 'more' as recorders of history and observers of the goings on. They didn't put themselves in the story.

Now these guys think they themselves are part of the story. The big paydays in the business come with notoriety leading to your own show or chair on ESPN and radio. So they make it about them and what "they have found out"

2. BB is straight-forward. He respects anyone who does their job with skill and to full extent. He dis-respects the lazy slack azzs. Evident in his p.c.s When he gets the dumb repetitve question he gives back the fish eye stare and 3 word mumbled reply. When he gets someone who asks a technical knowledgeable question about why are you doing x rather than normal y etc. He will wax eloquent for 5 minutes and talk about historical examples of similar plays from 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Well a whole bunch of these guys are lazy azzs who think it is all about them and they just need to show up and the players and coaches should spoon feed them the next story. (how many times do you open up pats fans and see on herald and globe the same twined story with slightly different headlines and the same quote from a player at the heart of it.)

Plain and simple these guys see BB's success and that he doesnt want to share his largess of knowledge and skill with them. THey are jealous, lazy and vindictive.

Colin Cowherd discussed this phenomenon on ESPN radio a couple of months ago....Basically he concluded that there are over 500 sportswriters in the US, all furiously competing for something to write about. Spygate is "Solid Gold" in an oversaturated market.

Gumby pretty much nailed it, but I'll expand a little bit on that.

1. The media don't want to report the story; they want to be the story.
Exhibit A would be the resume of one Jim Rome. Nobody knew his name until the infamous interview with Jim (Chris) Everett. Rather than being fired, his career took off and he is now worth millions.

2. Belichick didn't suck up to certain writers - whether it was due to those guys thinking too highly of themselves or due to asking stupid questions - and they neglected their duty as a reporter of the news and let their personal vendetta usurp unbiased analysis.

3. The media - newspapers, television, radio and the internet - are businesses. Though they would have you and me believe they are in the business of uncovering truth, that is not their purpose. Those enterprises are in the business of making money. They cover their expenses and salaries by selling advertisements. The more readers, viewers and listeners they attract, the more advertisers sign up, and the more they can charge for those ads.

Gossipy stories such as Spygate attract far more viewers than a breakdown of the Giants offense versus the patriots defense. The difference is drastic; to get an idea, head over to espn.com and take a look at how many comments there are posted on the 'scandal' stories as opposed to the analysis stories, and how many comments are based on scandal and gossip rather than analysis of the two teams.

So why do so many writers hate the Pats? Money! That's how they get paid: to get people to read what they write, and while they are there they'll see the ads.

Writing about the perfect season doesn't attract as many readers as a cheating scandal does; the real story is: what does all this say about us, the American public? America doesn't want to know about Brad Pitt helping displaced people in New Orleans; they want to hear about Britney Spears latest breakdown! America doesn't want to celebrate the greatest season by a team in the history of professional sports; they want to find something wrong and point their finger at them! America doesn't want a story about a great comeback; they want to laugh at the team that choked! The National Enquirer and it's "tsk - tsk" style of journalism has gone from low brow trailer trash to an accepted part of the American psyche - and journalism - and we are all the worse for it.

Great post. The real tragedy is that this is the way media behaves when it covers stories far more important than sports. It's all about what sells, and what sells is either fear or controversy. I saw a study which said that the use of words such as crisis and catastrophe, in the media, had increased by a factor of something around a thousand over the last 20 years or so. Even though most polls show that Americans don't trust the media the public still buys into most of the bogus crap that gets put out there especially if it fits our own preconceived notions.

2. BB is straight-forward.

Let's not get carried away. Bill may be straight forward with his players, but he's anything but straight forward with the media or league.

Bill carries a lot of mental baggage that we, his fans, don't normally want to look at. Bill has generated a lot of enemies. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, but it's just a fact as far as I can see.

Maybe Bill's habit of giving no quarter in relationships is what makes him a great coach, but it's not going to make him a great guy in the vein of a Bill Walsh or a **** Vermeil. Even Parcells, as snarly as he was, could make the media laugh and give them some lines to do their job. Our Bill just gives nothing. He is totally guarded and totally sequestered in his little world. It makes him a great coach, but let's not confuse that with other attributes of a man.

I think he begs for retribution from the people he stiffs. So why ***** when the retribution arrives? As fans we have to realize that it's for a reason.

They don't "hate" the Pats. This is juvenile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes