Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why do liberals hate democracy?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, seriously, can someone answer the question? I did some research to see exactly how Wisconsin governor Scott Walker got his job. Did he assassinate the previous governor? Is his brother-in-law the commander of the armed forces? Did he stage some sort of coup? (If you listened to the liberals in this forum, you would think one of those scenarios was certainly the case).

But no. Believe it or not, this guy ran on a campaign of cutting state employee wages and benefits. He was elected by a majority of the residents of his state with 52% (against 46% for the Democrat opponent).

Apparently, in the eyes of many liberals, that makes him the equivalent of Mubarek and Quaddafi.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +157 / 4 / -4

I like democracy. It's working just like it should. Not a lot of obedience to authority when it comes to standing up for one's principles.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then why are you comparing the Wisconsin situation to tyranny around the world? Looks to me like all those men and women were elected fair and square. Opposing their actions is fine. Comparing them to some of the world's worst tyrants and dictators is not.
  4. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Funny this thread is worded the way it is, when it seems like it's been conservative neocons screaming to defend all the dictators in power in Africa and the Middle East, against the wishes of the native people there.
  5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I know, just the other day Harry started a thread in support of Mugabe, Ghaddafi and Prince Abdullah...oh, wait.

:confused:
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

Most of us american loving folks view the situation in Wisconsin as an exercise in democracy.. only in America can this take place.

If it were the Tea Party it would be viewed as an heroic act by the right, but the intolerance of those folks shows through once again. People are not going to just be told what to do, particularly the middle class who have been brutally assaulted by the right.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +157 / 4 / -4

The comparison is about ordinary people rising up to protest an infringement on their rights by the vested powers. I was comparing the people, not the leaders.
  8. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I understand what you're saying, but it still does a disservice to those in the Middle East who are facing down machine guns and worse.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +177 / 1 / -10

Stick to the point of the thread and don't meander to irrelevant issues. We're discussing democracy & Wisconsin and nothing else.

Hey, maybe we should discuss why some American leaders waited so long to battle Hitler....:rolleyes:
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +177 / 1 / -10

Ahhhh....here's where you have this backwards Patters.

"The People" are the voters, NOT the protesters!

The important issue in all this mess in Wisconsin is, "what do the voters want?", not what the protesters want.

The protesters are protesting AGAINST the voters, not the gov't...wait, the gov't IS the people!:rocker:

Personally, I suggest voters in every single state have put on their ballot one question;

"Do you want to pay more taxes?"

Get the results and you'll have your answer on where "The People" stand...no if's, and's or butt's
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +539 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

Wisconsin's population is somewhere around 5.6 million people. We see a few hundred of them on TV and liberals think it's a mass demonstration of the people. No - no it's not ... it is what it is.

On top of that the AFL-CIO is spending like $30 million in that state and others to fight anti-labor measures. No problem there really ... it's what their members pay them to do. obama is in on it because of some of his recent pro business decisions and they are mad at him.

So the bottom line is that is this really the voters or is this one faction of the democrat voting machine. This is the line in the sand for unions who are on the way down - this will be magnified to bolster unions across the country.

these people are being pimped for the ambitions of the unions - nothing new there either. FDR is rolling over in his grave on this one - he was very much against public employees forming unions.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

So the protestors are not people, voters or taxpayers :confused::confused::confused::confused:

The protestors are also the "people"..
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

A few hundred.. 60K are a few hundred??? Methinks you beg the issue.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +177 / 1 / -10

Read back Darryl....

Patters was actually trying to make the Wisc situation an issue of "The people vs. Gov't/Rulers"

I'm saying that it's "Public Unions v. the people of Wisconsin" and what matters most...actually the ONLY thing that matters is what the majority of Wisconsin citizens want.

So I'll assume you & I are now aligned on the reality of Wisconsin?

BTW... "The protesters" work for "The people" so you can't be both in this situation.
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +539 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

The union forces you to go ... they are people from the private sector unions. How many of them are willingly there - far less is usually the answer. Of those private sector union people most if not all of them are contributing to their health plans. So what we see is thousands of people protesting so that their government sector buddies can keep getting the cadillac plan.

These private sector employees will negotiate because they do not want to see their company go under. These people could give a crap - Wisconsin will not go under - they will just raise taxes on the very people that are helping them protest.
  16. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No. This is where the confusion is. I will try to state this again plainly. The Several States have the vested right, as decided by the SCOTUS NOT! to collectively bargain. Some states have allowed this PRIVELEDGE to their workers. WI is just adjusting the rules of that priveledge. See, the SC saw correctly that it had no juristiction over the states in this issue. Further, any collective bargaining occuring between parties, where one party is held voiceless in the ratification process is suspect.
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

The union does not force you to do anything, despite what you believe.. was involved in many labor issues for a lot of years, and no one forced me to do anything.. one of the greatest feelings is when you are on a picket line, and the telephone workers walk off, the teamsters leave and your picket lines are respected no only by those who have union affiliation, but understand your issues as well .. that is called solidarity.

It is what unions do, alone they do not have much power, but when they rise up and band together, their strengths increase exponentially.
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

The protesters and dem reps in WI in shutting down the democratic process (voting on bills during a legislative session) are in essence trying to nullify the results of an election.

Elections have consequences, time for the public employees in WI to deal with it. Otherwise the gov should start firing people who aren't showing up to work.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

PATCO Lives.. good luck training and replacing a complete work force.. in reality these contracts were all negotiated in good faith, that denotes both sides agree, and these discussions should be held at the bargaining table, not negotiated in the court of public opinion..

To supercede this process through legislation is folly, the reality is that the Wisconsin Unions have given back and are willing to negotiate.. the governor and his lackeys do not want to do this, they prefer the theatrical approach.

This may have woken an sleeping giant..

The Right Wing Authoritative State is alive and well, do what I tell you to and like it.. they preach democracy, but act authoritative. Negotiate fools..
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See this is exactly what I meant when I said liberals hate democracy.

What you call "the court of public opinion" the rest of us call a fair and open election process. I know you hate elections because that means you can't force your radical left wing agenda down the throats of an unwilling public.

I'm starting the thing Barack Hussein Obama is the best thing to ever happen to the republican party. None of this would have been possible without his incompetent blundering. :rocker: :rocker: