PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do I feel uneasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uneasy is an interesting way to put it.

That uneasy feeling is one of the reasons I want the Pats to win until/if the Colts play them.

16-0 historic

Beating a team the is 17-0 to go to the Superbowl, makes the accomplishment even bigger, just by proximity.

I'm not passing any judgement on if the Colts can beat the Pats, I'll wait to see what it looks like at the time.

I will say that I do believe (to use an analogy for my Boston friends) the sheer notion of a Bill Buckner grounder through the legs, adds pressure, I don't care who you are, imho.

I'll say this, the Pats aren't strangers to pressure after 3 superbowls and a QB/Head coach combo that doesn't seem to blink, but we'll see, I hope so at least.

This is the best of times for homers like me. I'm seeing things from my team that I would not dare to imagine 20 years ago. They can write NFL history by going undefeated all the way to winning their 4th Super Bowl. That's 3 more than I asked god for prior to the 2001 season.

So why do I feel so uneasy about the rest of the year. Part of me want the team to run the table and part of me would like to see the team lose (OMG I said it) one of the two remaining games.

I guess I feel that the law of averages are working againts us and by losing one of two remaining regular season games they have a better chance to go three games to glory in the playoffs.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being paranoid?

You couldn't be more wrong. The Pats are going to cruise to the SB title. It won't even be a struggle. They will annihilate the Colts and ruin the opposition in the SB. It will be the stuff of legends.

Especially as we only have to win 5 in a row now :rocker:

I think the undefeated thing helps us. Not that the team needs any more to play for in the playoffs already but the chance to go 19-0 has to lock them in even more than usual.

Let us not forget the "us against the world" thing the Patriots have going this year. It worked in 2001 because no one believed they could do it. This year it's because no one wants them to do it and because no one believes they deserve it (cheaters!)....and believe me, this can definately carry them through all 19 games!

Last edited:
This is the best of times for homers like me. I'm seeing things from my team that I would not dare to imagine 20 years ago. They can write NFL history by going undefeated all the way to winning their 4th Super Bowl. That's 3 more than I asked god for prior to the 2001 season.

So why do I feel so uneasy about the rest of the year. Part of me want the team to run the table and part of me would like to see the team lose (OMG I said it) one of the two remaining games.

I guess I feel that the law of averages are working againts us and by losing one of two remaining regular season games they have a better chance to go three games to glory in the playoffs.

You're being paranoid. Losing a game does not increase you chances of winning the next game, or the game after that. Winning breeds winning and confidence. Losing generally leads to more losing - See Boston Celtics circa 2006 or Miami Dolphins circa 2007.

Uneasy, huh? I'm almost glad for the monkey on our back. This way the Pats go out every game with a clear objective. I hope if they do lose, they aren't demoralized, but at least they have a good reason to play hard every game. They aren't allowed to play on auto-pilot because they have a record to play for. That said, it's ok if they lose, as long as they play as hard as they can. And if they do, I'm pretty sure their odds of losing are small.

The Law of Averages says that the records of all 32 teams will average out to .500.

Nothing in it says anything about whether the Patriots can grab 19 of those wins.

Honestly, I watch every game they play and ask myself if they would win playing like that against the Colts or Cowboys.

I firmly believe that the Patriots could have played much worse and easily beat yesterday's Cowboys.

I firmly believe that the Patriots could have played much worse and easily beat yesterday's Cowboys.

But that's the thing: I'm tired of seeing the Patriots playing "worse". I get that the conditions were bad, but they aren't going to get any better. Jacksonville and Cleveland played in worse conditions, and executed better. I am glad for these games insofar as players are learning/relearning the tricks to playing in these conditions, but I would like to see the Pats play a good overall game in these conditions. We haven't seen it yet.

I think its something you ate for lunch!

Here's why I think people are uneasy: because with a team this good, anything but a SB victory would be a crushing disappointment.

Imagine you're a fan of a team like Cleveland. You start off the season hoping your team will be good. There are ups and downs, but enough good stuff to keep you optimistic. As the ups continue to outweigh the downs, you start envisioning a playoff berth. Excitement is building, every game is another opportunity to secure that spot! If you make it, woo-hoo!!! Maybe your team can win a game...or even two...or...who knows? They've already proven all the doubters wrong, it's all gravy now!

Now imagine you're a fan of the Patriots. (Not too hard to imagine, right? :) ) You started this season knowing your team was good. By week 4 you had a near deathgrip on the division title. By week 9 a bye and HFA looked solid. By week 11 folks are talking about all-time records and all-time greatness. Your team is the overwhelming favorite to win it all.

It's fantastic. It's amazing. Through 14 games, it's a dream come true. But the incremental, week-by-week excitement of a normal season has been replaced by a single long-term goal: Win the Superbowl, period. That, IMO, is why fans are so jittery. It just feels like a long, tense wait to the playoffs at this point. The next few weeks are just about preventing negatives.

Bingo! I think you nailed it. Even in our 3 SB years there were always team considered "better". 2001 Steelers/Rams- 2003 Colts- 2004 Steelers.

This year we are the king of the hill and every team wants to beat us. So maybe I'm not being paranoid. They are really out to get us. :D

As evidence, I present this year's Ravens. I don't think they've played a game like they did against us much this season.

I guess I should've added -est to my description.
Many who have played competitive sports know what I mean. Sometimes teams play down to the level of their competition, and sometimes they play out of their minds to raise their performance.

That exactly the point though, the Ravens game does nothing to show that it was BECAUSE OF THAT. I guess the Dolphins, Bills, Redskins prove the opposite?

"Anyone who has played competitive sports" knows you dont 'try harder' in certain games, which means you 'dont try hard' in other games. Perhaps in High School that may happen, but players who reach the level of the NFL would never have gotten their if they only really, really cared if the other team motivated them.

Teams win or lose because of how they execute, and because of individual matchups. Its not because they try harder or less hard from game to game/

I want the Pats to go 19-0. We've won the Superbowl 3 times already. I want the Pats to make history not just win another superbowl.

Feeling nervous about the "law of averages" or "get a loss out of the way" is bogus and should not be entertained.

winning and losing are habits and contagious; the last 2 games of the year is the WRONG TIME to think about starting a bad habit.

I would say you are just nervous about the uncertainty because you want this SB so bad; and are just looking for superstitious reasons to explain your nervousness away. Face it - we don't know that is what makes this something you have to enjoy.

Now if you want to talk about REAL reasons to be nervous:

1. the steady drip drip of the injury report: sammy morris, wright, colvin, kyle brady .........????

2. the bad habits that Moss tends to drive in an offense:
a. I continue to see Brady pass up open 5-15 yard pickups in order to toss a 25 yarder to Moss in 1-1 coverage or jump balls in 2-1 coverage. To me that is undisciplined and is teaching Tommy bad habits he never used to have.
b. Quick strike offense - tends to leave tons of time on the clock for the other team to come back. Or else go 3 and out with incompletes again leaving lots of time for the other team to comeback. Or worse - time to wear down our defense with a pounding ground attack.

3. We are only one more injury away from having Faulk-Eckles-Evans as our RB possiblities.

That exactly the point though, the Ravens game does nothing to show that it was BECAUSE OF THAT. I guess the Dolphins, Bills, Redskins prove the opposite?

"Anyone who has played competitive sports" knows you dont 'try harder' in certain games, which means you 'dont try hard' in other games. Perhaps in High School that may happen, but players who reach the level of the NFL would never have gotten their if they only really, really cared if the other team motivated them.

Teams win or lose because of how they execute, and because of individual matchups. Its not because they try harder or less hard from game to game/

I respectfully disagree, at least to the point that I think the intensity picks up, the bigger the game. I compute that into trying harder, I guess. And I would agree maybe not as much in the NFL, but I believe it still applies. When its the playoffs and its all or nothing the focus is more sharp and there are no "plays off".

I think they go all out in the playoffs because there is no "next week".

I guess it depends on how you define "try". I don't think the Pats or Colts as a team will run anything that isn't pretty vanilla these last two weeks, just to save it for when it matters most.

We aren't talking NBA, but they are notorious for taking quarters or games "off".

"Quoting" something every sentence is really fun. :D

Last edited:
Or worse - time to wear down our defense with a pounding ground attack.

This is a good point.

Too, and I speak from watching the 04 Colts. Your OWN defense is always on the field and can get worn out.

I think it's pretty natural to feel uneasy. We are now in unchartered territory.

No one has gone undefeated any further into a regular season, and any long-term football fan knows any other pro football team can win on any given play day. That said, the odds of Miami beating the Pats this year are pretty grim at the present, and after watching the Giants play this year..and especially last night, our season should be a memorable and well-executed undefeated season.

Then there are the playoff games. Whole different reason to feel uneasy.

I'm of the opinion this is the greatest of all NFL teams. Unless they let down very badly and commit lots of errors and make mental mistakes, there is no reason to doubt what they can and will do. 19-0 is far more realistic than it was last August.

All that said, my stomach has also been in knots every game day, and today it is still a little tied up. :D

GO PATRIOTS!!!

'ladies lounge king' : how can i be against you ?

IMO, you're feeling what everyone is feeling. The Patriots are chasing history, and has the potential to go down as the best team ever. You, just like the rest of us, are scared as hell that they could eff it all up with one bad game. One bad game happens to everyone...yet somehow, we've been able to overcome all obstacles thus far.

The law of averages is going against us. We should have lost a game. Yet, somehow, we haven't. Of course you feel uneasy. But, if a month and a half from now we are superbowl champions, this uneasiness will make the glory feel even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back