PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't we draft Everette Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that BB likes taller OLBs with long arms. He said as much after the draft. Hence, no Everette Brown. It would seem pretty straightforward. Taller guys do a better job of disrupting passing lanes. You can't measure the contribution the OLB makes to pass defense completely in sacks and hurries.

I understand the rationale. Nevertheless pass rush could be the biggest deficiency in this defense. Maybe why we brought back a failed OLB from the past.

I guess it's because TBC is 6'6". Oops 6'2".:rolleyes:

RayClay, you're like Galileo here. “I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” ~ Galileo Galilei

Belichick was basically run out of Cleveland. Jetsdom folk thought he was clinical when he walked away from that job. And Pats fans think he's some deity whose judgments must not be questioned.

The truth, however, is somewhere in the middle. Is he the best coach in the NFL? Yes, I think so. Does he make mistakes? On occasion.

Does he appear to be putting the team on a mental straitjacket by looking only at OLBers 6'4" or taller? Absolutely.

Who needs 6'3" Lawrence Taylor when there's 6'5" Lawrence McGrew RIP?

Bear in mind that nobody's saying it's the only criteria. But for this year's draft it's one of the criteria straight from BB's mouth.

Proof? BB gave $35 million to 6'2" tall Adalius Thomas.

What does this mean? Probably that BB looks at several factors when evaluating whether a guy can play OLB for his team. But given a choice, unless there are significant other factors in the player's favor, such as AD's leadership and experience, then he prefers height. Especially when they guy on the other side is ~4 inches shorter than ideal. (Anybody know if AD has unusually long arms?)

Seriously, you've really got to stop and think about what you're posting instead of constantly trolling the board for a reaction. It's getting embarrassing.

I understand the rationale. Nevertheless pass rush could be the biggest deficiency in this defense. Maybe why we brought back a failed OLB from the past.

I guess it's because TBC is 6'6". Oops 6'2".:rolleyes:

And AD is 6'2" as well. It's obviously not the only consideration. But it's one of them. Especially when you're drafting guys you feel like you can develop. Brown would have had to bring a lot more to the table than he does to be considered. See the above post.

RayClay, you're like Galileo here. “I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” ~ Galileo Galilei

Belichick was basically run out of Cleveland. Jetsdom folk thought he was clinical when he walked away from that job. And Pats fans think he's some deity whose judgments must not be questioned.

The truth, however, is somewhere in the middle. Is he the best coach in the NFL? Yes, I think so. Does he make mistakes? On occasion.

Does he appear to be putting the team on a mental straitjacket by looking only at OLBers 6'4" or taller? Absolutely.

Who needs 6'3" Lawrence Taylor when there's 6'5" Lawrence McGrew RIP?

Don't get me on the questioning BB platform now. It's just that I don't think he sits down with all these posters and explains all his thought processes. I do recall when he said NT required technique over all which is why Rick Lyle, Jarvis and Klecko were going to be fine. Of course when 400 lb Ted Washington became available, other factors became important too.

BB's trying to save money at some positions and is being careful. who knows his real reasons? I'm sure he doesn't lay them on the table pre or post draft.

And i don't know who that Taylor guy is, but he won't make it at OLB at that height, sorry.

We nabbed Ron Brace as "insurance" at 40. He's supposedly a one-dimensional player. There are persistent questions about conditioning. And two picks after the excellent Darius Butler pick, the Panthers took Brown at 43.

What about the greatest need for the defense this year, rushing the passer, and use all those high picks next year to package a deal for the possible 3-4 NT from Mt. Olympus, Mt. Cody?

Round 2 of the N.F.L. Draft

Everette Brown

He's got the height, weight, and certainly the speed Belichick is looking for. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/233004-pass-rushing-olbs-addressed.html

What am I missing? You go Buter at 40, Brown at 41. And booya! Speed, speed, and more speed at the edge--just what the doctor ordered.

Not some fat slob who likes to watch cartoons incessantly, eating himself into a "knock down the wall" visit from the local fire dept. I mean we got the adult version of this.

When Everette Brown is wrecking havoc in the NFL, remember this posting.

Dude, how about passing on Rey Maualuga, not once, but twice.........How would he have looked playing next to #51 ?

And AD is 6'2" as well. It's obviously not the only consideration. But it's one of them. Especially when you're drafting guys you feel like you can develop. Brown would have had to bring a lot more to the table than he does to be considered. See the above post.

I know, he specifically mentioned it. I'm not arguing that. There could be many specific or general reasons he likes this crop.

It's early July. We could pick someone up, or it's possible Crable shows enough that we'll get a rush at OLB between 3 players.

It's a message board, something to talk about. Our pass rush has disappeared basically.

As i posted before, besides McGinest and Colvin, Vrabel and Bruschi were record breaking pass rushers in college which made the inside outside rush devastating.

We might have that type of talent on the roster, but there's no indication that i know of.

Oh, OK. I didn't read it as a joke, I read it as a counter-argument.

That guy Taylor never really made it in the league, did he? Heard a rumor he might have experimented with drugs too.

Oh, OK. I didn't read it as a joke, I read it as a counter-argument.

Seriously, i agree with your point. BB likes certain body types at certain positions. When you're spending 1st round picks at DL for instance, you can get size speed combos like Seymour. When you're shopping bargain basement, you have to compromise.

At corner, they have a preference for small guys and are fortunate that enough dumbbells keep drafting 6-6'2" CBs high in the draft that end up as stiffs, that we can pick up the little quick guys for less money.

That's not going to happen ayt pass rushing OLB. You want size speed strength savvy combo of a Mcginest, you need to draft top five. Otherwise, you need to compromise somewhere.

That guy Taylor never really made it in the league, did he? Heard a rumor he might have experimented with drugs too.

So here's a question: knowing what we know about Taylor now, does BB draft him in 2009 if given the opportunity? Say he's available, fresh out of college, at pick 23. For argument's sake, I'll say no, purely due to the negative influence his character and work ethic could have on other players.

Just some points of information.

Adalius Thomas is 6'2 and 3/8" tall.

TBC is 6'2 and 1/8"

They are both taller than Everette Brown's 6'1.5".

Also, lets remember that TBC was a 7th round pick. Thomas was a 6th rounder by the Ravens. Both were projects.. That's a lot different than Brown who is going into Carolina and will be expected to produce almost right away. \

Also, its been pointed out that he's not good against the run and a liability in coverage. How does having a one trick pony help this team?

Last edited:
That's not going to happen ayt pass rushing OLB. You want size speed strength savvy combo of a Mcginest, you need to draft top five. Otherwise, you need to compromise somewhere.

I think that's exactly the reason we didn't improve OLB in this draft. It costs too much to get elite talent, if it's even available in a particular draft.

Just some points of information.

Adalius Thomas is 6'2 and 3/8" tall.

TBC is 6'2 and 1/8"

They are both taller than Everette Brown's 6'1.5".

Also, lets remember that TBC was a 7th round pick. Thomas was a 6th rounder by the Ravens. Both were projects.. That's a lot different than Brown who is going into Carolina and will be expected to produce almost right away. \

Also, its been pointed out that he's not good against the run and a liability in coverage. How does having a one trick pony help this team?

Where they wearing socks when you measured them?

Where they wearing socks when you measured them?

Those were their measurements from their respective combines. Sorry if that sticks in your craw because it takes away from your argument.

Last edited:
Those were their measurements from their respective combines. Sorry if that sticks in your craw because it takes away from your argument.

What's your argument, that fractions of an inch are the deciding factor in pass rushing success?

If you followed the argument you'd see that I agreed, in an ideal situation (willing to spend) tall long armed OLB's are better.

Last edited:
What's your argument, that fractions of an inch are the deciding factor in pass rushing success?

If you followed the argument you'd see that I agreed, in an ideal situation (willing to spend) tall long armed OLB's are better.

I have followed the argument. And I saw where you were in favor of Everette Brown.

All I did was point out facts. You clearly didn't like them. So that's your issue.

There were plenty of reasons NOT to take Brown. Particularly the fact that he's a one trick pony and that doesn't fit on the Patriots.

Don't be fatuous. That's how things go from stupid to stupider on this board.
Golly, you're the killjoy. You remind me of my thin-lipped seventh grade English teacher, Mrs. Thistlebottom.

Are you self-appointed forum moderator or fulfilling a long-hoped-for occupational choice?

It's a forum, not a debating society.

What you call trolling, RayClay was responding to: According to BB's own description of what he's looking for at OLB, LT wouldn't fit the bill. I actually think it's a valid point, even if I made it.

Golly, you're the killjoy. You remind me of my thin-lipped seventh grade English teacher, Mrs. Thistlebottom.

Are you self-appointed forum moderator or fulfilling a long-hoped-for occupational choice?

It's a forum, not a debating society.

What you call trolling, RayClay was responding to: According to BB's own description of what he's looking for at OLB, LT wouldn't fit the bill. I actually think it's a valid point, even if I made it.

go home, State

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back