PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't we draft Everette Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
We nabbed Ron Brace as "insurance" at 40. He's supposedly a one-dimensional player. There are persistent questions about conditioning. And two picks after the excellent Darius Butler pick, the Panthers took Brown at 43.

What about the greatest need for the defense this year, rushing the passer, and use all those high picks next year to package a deal for the possible 3-4 NT from Mt. Olympus, Mt. Cody?

Round 2 of the N.F.L. Draft

Everette Brown

He's got the height, weight, and certainly the speed Belichick is looking for. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/233004-pass-rushing-olbs-addressed.html

What am I missing? You go Buter at 40, Brown at 41. And booya! Speed, speed, and more speed at the edge--just what the doctor ordered.

Not some fat slob who likes to watch cartoons incessantly, eating himself into a "knock down the wall" visit from the local fire dept. I mean we got the adult version of this.

When Everette Brown is wrecking havoc in the NFL, remember this posting.

Not some fat slob who likes to watch cartoons incessantly, eating himself into a "knock down the wall" visit from the local fire dept. I mean we got the adult version of this.

:ugh: Obvious troll is boring and dull.

A defensive end from a school that currently has a bad reputation for its defensive ends was passed over by 42 teams before he was chosen.

It seems that the Patriots went in a different direction to that point in the draft, like almost every other team.

Last edited:
We nabbed Ron Brace as "insurance" at 40. He's supposedly a one-dimensional player. There are persistent questions about conditioning. And two picks after the excellent Darius Butler pick, the Panthers took Brown at 43.

What about the greatest need for the defense this year, rushing the passer, and use all those high picks next year to package a deal for the possible 3-4 NT from Mt. Olympus, Mt. Cody?

Everette Brown

He's got the height, weight, and certainly the speed Belichick is looking for. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/233004-pass-rushing-olbs-addressed.html

What am I missing? You go Buter at 40, Brown at 41. And booya! Speed, speed, and more speed at the edge--just what the doctor ordered.

While I can respect your prediction that E.Brown will become a beast, I guess it probably just came down to the scouting dept. and coaches decision that Ron Brace was somehow a better pick for the team--simple as that.

Why? Because Bill Belichick said so, would be my guess.

Although, I still don't see what the little white, fat kid has to do with it? I take it you're comparing him to Ron Brace, which is pretty beat IMO.

Everette Brown

Brown does NOT have the height, speed or agility that BB craves.....6' 2", 4.73, 7.55.....read 'em an' weep......NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Everette Brown

Other than that, great post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Everette Brown

a) Read your own link:
Not a liability in the run game but is not his strong point. May depend too heavily on the spin move to beat his man. Could struggle in pass coverage if converted to linebacker. Sometimes struggles with neutralizing blocks. May lack the size needed to be an every-down defensive end.
b) Go and learn what a 2gap defense is, and what is required of an OLB in our system
c) Come back and answer your own question that this guy does not fit our defense.

Going forward, if you want people to respond (particularly me) why don't you try to commuicate like an adult.
Random insults and acting like you are smarter than Bill Belichick about his decisions just makes you look like a tool.

Brown does NOT have the height, speed or agility that BB craves.....6' 2", 4.73, 7.55.....read 'em an' weep......NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Everette Brown
Yeah, he measured in at just under 6'2", not the 6'4" listed in the original link. There were also questions about his ability to move to OLB, by draft day he'd moved way down on the 3-4 OLB boards.

Everett Brown's 3 Cone was 7.55.
Pierre Woods' 3 Cone was 6.87.

Everett Brown's Stuttle was 4.53
Pierre Woods' Shuttle was 4.19.

So . . . there you have it.

His 40 is the same as ... Pierre Woods! :ugh:

But that's impossible because Brown is quick and fast and a speed demon off the edge and Pierre Woods is a giant suckfest who can't play in the NFL, can't rush the passer, and can't even fall on a damn fumble because he took easy classes at Michigan like a jerk.

But that's impossible because Brown is quick and fast and a speed demon off the edge and Pierre Woods is a giant suckfest who can't play in the NFL, can't rush the passer, and can't even fall on a damn fumble because he took easy classes at Michigan like a jerk.

He probably didn't even sleep with Tara Reid.

lol (10 chars)

Gosh, I'm physically unattractive, and I had a chance with Tara Reid !

Why didn't we take Terrell instead of Seymour ? Why did we take Mankins ? blah, blah, blah...

Sometimes we miss, sometimes we do well by passing... who knows what the future holds ? That's why it's the future. BB has been pretty good at what amounts to an educated guessing game.

By the 2 weeks or so preceding the draft, it was pretty much common knowledge among draftnicks that Brown was not projecting as an OLB, and that we was possibly going to fall out of round 1 altogether.

That the Patriots passed on him was not a surprise to me. It was not a surprise to me that the Dolphins, Jets, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Chiefs, Cards, Niners or any other team playing anything that resembles a 3-4 passed on him either.

Everett Brown's 3 Cone was 7.55.
Pierre Woods' 3 Cone was 6.87.

Everett Brown's Stuttle was 4.53
Pierre Woods' Shuttle was 4.19.

And lest we forget, Woods went undrafted.

Brown was a draftnik & pundit favorite...until weigh-in time, when it became clear that his school had VASTLY overstated his size. Forget 6'4", he's all of 6'1.4", between Mayo and Guyton in height. And as for agility and explosiveness, the likes of Sebastian Vollmer and Logan Mankins eclipsed Brown's cone, shuttle and vertical numbers.

That's not to say Brown won't be a successful player somewhere, but he is nothing like the prototype for a Pats OLB.

Why didn't we draft Everette Brown?

Maybe because WE don't make the decisions. ;)

And lest we forget, Woods went undrafted.

Brown was a draftnik & pundit favorite...until weigh-in time, when it became clear that his school had VASTLY overstated his size. Forget 6'4", he's all of 6'1.4", between Mayo and Guyton in height. And as for agility and explosiveness, the likes of Sebastian Vollmer and Logan Mankins eclipsed Brown's cone, shuttle and vertical numbers.

That's not to say Brown won't be a successful player somewhere, but he is nothing like the prototype for a Pats OLB.
Look at Jon Beason. Slow, redflag forty at the combine, 4.77.

Undersized at 6'0", 237. How's he been doing? Jon Beason - Carolina Panthers He's a freakin' beast.

More productive than the other Hurricane drafted 2007 on the defensive side, Brandon Merriweather? Yep. Mike Reiss thinks so, too. Ask Reiss: What's in your fave five?

Sometimes the "system" has to make way for the players, even when they don't fit the prototype.

There was a time people believed the immobile, pocket passer like Brady was an obsolete facet of the game. Michael Vick was the NFL's future.

The game's played by the players, not the calculators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes