PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did we stop blowing out opponents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As 16-0 became more of a possibility teams started playing us like it was their SB.

Additionally Brady got bigtime tunnel vision and forced the ball in to Moss when he shouldn't trying to get Randy the receiving record. That played a huge part in my mind.

To his credit somewhat, though, I can see the position Brady was in. He would have felt like a schmuck if he threw for 50 TDs and Moss ended a TD or two away from Rice's record. It was a tough spot for Tommy but luckily it all worked out.

I think any team not named the Colts could get blown out.

If we are not too homeric about the Pats, we might notice that fans of other teams did not believe in Pats' blowouts and it wasn't because they hated the Pats.

FWIW, I have pals of other team fans giving analysis of the Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Jets, and Giants games and put $ where their mouth was (They laughed their way to the bank). They didn't bet against the Pats in the Steelers game because they didn't like the Steelers on the road.

I also recalled many posters on this boards saying that they wouldn't expect other teams to roll over and die and expect tough game. Good call.

It changed for a variety of reasons (in no particular order).

1) Weather.
2) Injuries - Neal, Kaczur, K. Brady, S. Morris, R. Colvin. Losing Neal forces the Pats to run LEFT more than right. Hochstein just isn't as good a run blocker. Even though the Pats tried to run behind O'Callaghan and Hochstein, they couldn't do it with much success.
3) Game Plan / Quality of the defenses they were facing. Baltimore and Pitts have very good defenses. Philly has a very good run defense. The Giants aren't schmucks either.
4) Pats went to vanilla defenses.
5) Mental fatigue - it's tough to get up for every game over the course of a long regular season - especially under the pressure of trying to be perfect

Just thought I'd use this opportunity to say:

I can't believe how little has been said about the impact of Kyle Brady's injury. If you listen to the game broadcasts, they never even mention that a guy who started most of their games has been out. I think they miss him, a lot.

Just thought I'd use this opportunity to say:

I can't believe how little has been said about the impact of Kyle Brady's injury. If you listen to the game broadcasts, they never even mention that a guy who started most of their games has been out. I think they miss him, a lot.

I agree that the Pats need the extra help in blocking for both the run and the pass.

I also think that the refs had a lot to do with keeping the games tight, by not calling penalties on the Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Steelers, ect.

I hate to make that point over and over, but it really needs to be made because we tend to view the Pats as somehow taking a step backward during the second half of the year, and I just don't see it that way at all. I see the teams we play have developed a blueprint to slow us down that only the officials can put an end to.

I don't think anything has changed with our pass attack, except for the last Giants game when we really could have used Kyle and some other starters back in the O-Line. Our run game is improved. Our pass attack was slowed by some bad weather but not broken.

I am glad to see that we can still beat teams with all the stuff that has been pulled on us in the second half of the season. I think we are as strong as ever, except possibly with the right side of the O-Line.

People downplay how good we have been in tight games in the second half of the season without seeing the cause and effect of what other teams are doing to slow us down.

I think the biggest factors are:

1. The league discovered a blueprint for losing by smaller margins than they had been.
2. The Pats saved some gameplanning for the playoffs and didn't show any answers.

Other factors, most of which have also been previously cited, are the loss of K. Brady, the loss of Morris, the pass rush not showing up every game, and the run defense not showing up every game.

Last edited:
There was a post about 8 weeks ago asking when Brady would break the record, or how many he would get. People were predicting 55 or 60 or something. I remember thinking (maybe even posting) that the Patriots were going to come back to earth and that 50 or 51 was the likely number. Weather. More game film. Understanding how we use our personel. Injuries. (I won't use "blueprint" here because it freaks people out, but the Colts did some nice things against us for a while that others copied.)

I also, though, thought that our play calling got weird. Maybe stats don't back it up, but we seemed like much more of a home-run oriented team to me in the second half. I look at our team, and I don't really understand how a team could stop our offense if it took a ball-control, we have 3 plays (and sometimes 4) to get 10 yards, approach. It seemed to me early on as though we were content to keep the chains moving and using a grinding offense to set up the big plays, rather than vice versa -- now it seems like we think 20-plus yards first and then take the smaller stuff after we establish the deep threat.

I think back on those first 8 games, and I remember us pounding our opponents with 12, 13, 14 play drives, moving mechanically down the field and keeping our defense on the sideline rested. Then after grinding away, boom, the home run was wide open.

I think comparing time of possession stats from the first half of the season to the second is exceptionally telling. In the first half of the season, we had a dramatic time of possession differential in every game we played -- holding the ball more than double digit minutes more than our opponents in 4 games. (The TOP differential in the first 8 games was 6+ minutes, 11+ minutes, 9+, 4+, 14+, 16+, 11+, 15+.)

In the second half, it was a much different story. In half the games, our opponents had the TOP edge -- Indy, Balt, Pitt, and Miami. The other 4 games were much less slanted, except the Giants game.

Maybe Morris' injury had something to do with this. Maybe pursuit of records was the reason. Maybe the offensive philosophy changed. Or maybe Belichick wants to have more up his sleeve. I don't know.

What I do know is that this team seems like it could score every time down the field if it was content with a moving-the-chains offense rather than a big-play offense. You have to take what you're given, but it seems to me as though we've tried to go for the big plays even where they weren't there, and only moved to a more ball-control mentality when the game was on the line.

Game film. The early opponents had little. The later opponents had a lot.

Regards,
Chris

1. Older defense got tired. Couldn't get the ball back to the offense
as often and as quickly.
2. A lot more video on PATs offense - resulted in better game planning. Seemed PATs 3rd dn coversion rate dropped as a result.
3. Weather
4. Some opponents QBs had an exceptional game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back