PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Did We Punt with 5 Minutes Left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We were down by 10 points, about 5 min. left in the game, and we punted. Nobody questioned it, so I assume it's "conventional wisdom" that you shouldn't go for it on 4th and long deep in your own territory. Yet I feel pretty sure that it had to be a mistake.

Stopping Denver twice without the game clock running out was almost impossible --- not enough timeouts --- so the only hope (after punting) would be to stop them for a quick 3 and out AND succeed with an onsides kick. The odds of making the one completion on 4th and long (deep in our own end) have to be better than the odds of succeeding on an onsides kick. Coaching mistake. At least 90% of other coaches would have made the same decision, but I say the conventional wisdom there is WRONG! Reminds me of when Coach Madden recommended Brady take a knee with a minute and a half left in SB36.

P.S. Look what DID happen! By the time our next scoring opportunity came along (the failed 4th and 1) there was like 1 minute left and we still needed two scores.

shakadave said:
We were down by 10 points, about 5 min. left in the game, and we punted. Nobody questioned it, so I assume it's "conventional wisdom" that you shouldn't go for it on 4th and long deep in your own territory. Yet I feel pretty sure that it had to be a mistake.

Stopping Denver twice without the game clock running out was almost impossible --- not enough timeouts --- so the only hope (after punting) would be to stop them for a quick 3 and out AND succeed with an onsides kick. The odds of making the one completion on 4th and long (deep in our own end) have to be better than the odds of succeeding on an onsides kick. Coaching mistake. At least 90% of other coaches would have made the same decision, but I say the conventional wisdom there is WRONG! Reminds me of when Coach Madden recommended Brady take a knee with a minute and a half left in SB36.

P.S. Look what DID happen! By the time our next scoring opportunity came along (the failed 4th and 1) there was like 1 minute left and we still needed two scores.
they punted expecting the D to get a turnover or something....

SVN said:
they punted expecting the D to get a turnover or something....

I suppose, but I wonder if it isn't more likely to make the 4th down pass than to get a turnover (especially with our recent track record on turnovers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes