PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Did Jordan Devey Get 91 reps (out of 91)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure they can go to any practice squad, but are we really talking about building a roster around the idea of keeping a guy who doesn't deserve to make it because someone else may sign him?
Wouldn't keeping the 54th best player so no one gets them mean someone gets the 53rd best?
I'm not convinced either of those players are a sure thing to ever contribute much.
I'd surely rather have wendells years of experience on the team than Storks week of practice.

I think it is a matter of what the discount rate for the future is. A player may be #54 in Week 1 but if they are rapidly developping/learning, they could project to be player #42 in Week 12 and player #30 in Year 2, Week 1 while at the same time player #53 or #52 or #51 in Week 1 is at their effective ceiling and will still be player #50, 51, 52, 53 in Week 16.

And honestly, I think for roster planning purposes, the Top-46 should be considered a different beast than the Top-53 as that inactive 7 is the short term injury list, and the long term developmental list. There will be float between those two groups (players 42-49 might be functionally graded the same, and are active/inactive depending on match-up/game plan), but the intent of those two groups are substantially different.

I think it is a matter of what the discount rate for the future is. A player may be #54 in Week 1 but if they are rapidly developping/learning, they could project to be player #42 in Week 12 and player #30 in Year 2, Week 1 while at the same time player #53 or #52 or #51 in Week 1 is at their effective ceiling and will still be player #50, 51, 52, 53 in Week 16.

And honestly, I think for roster planning purposes, the Top-46 should be considered a different beast than the Top-53 as that inactive 7 is the short term injury list, and the long term developmental list. There will be float between those two groups (players 42-49 might be functionally graded the same, and are active/inactive depending on match-up/game plan), but the intent of those two groups are substantially different.

Sure that is all assumed in what I am saying.
But the concept of keeping one player who is beaten out by another out of fear somebody will claim him before he gets to the practice squad is what I disagree with.
"53rd" or "54th" player takes all of what you said into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back