Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Dems Think They’re Winning The Contraception Battle

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

The Republican Party is really getting absurd. They are completely out of touch with reality. Many Republican, Independent, and Democratic men and women sleep around.

Why Dems Think They’re Winning The Contraception Battle | TPMDC

The fact that Democrats keep returning to the contraception issue means they think Republicans’ objection to Fluke appearing last week has ultimately worked in Democrats’ favor. Fluke’s testimony and the all-male panel she was not allowed to appear on have become a rallying cry — and key fundraising issue — for Democrats ...

... Jess McIntosh, Deputy Communications Director at EMILY’s List, says the response her organization has seen on this issue is “off the charts.” EMILY’s List, which raises money for pro-choice, Democratic women candidates, taped an ad about the panel and sent out an email to supporters about the ad. It raised more than $100,000 in under 24 hours. The DCCC’s email after the hearing was gunning for $1 million. ...

It seems that Democrats are on to something because polls show women voters moving increasingly into their column over the last few weeks. A Quinnipiac poll released Thursday morning shows a large number of women voters have moved away from Mitt Romney since he began slamming the administration’s contraception rule as an affront to religious liberty. His favorability among women voters has plunged into negative territory in just over a month.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Great an attack on the first amendment as a political fundraiser.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Good find ... add to this the fact ... yes fact ... that there is nothing in the bible or religious scripture for that matter that forbids contraception ... never has been. So it is actually a false religious issue which means that government has a 100% right to mandate as it wishes and treat contraception as a health issue.
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Cool! So when are we going to start telling other faiths what they are actually supposed to believe using the rule of law?

I think Steyn summed this up best:
    The Catholic State :: SteynOnline
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

yeah, we've never seen that from your beloved pubbies :rolleyes:
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

That likely is true re the bible, but it's not the government's place to dictate what is and is not a legitimate part of a given religion.

(Where this case could be interesting is if there have been comparable restrictions placed on other religions because their beliefs violated the law)
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Ah yes the need to attack me even when you agree with my position, I seem to have a large living space in your head.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Should Jews have the right to not pay taxes that contribute to food stamps when those food stamps buy non-Kosher food? Is a tax-paying Jew sinning when he 'helps' a food stamp recipient eat in a non-Kosher manner?
  9. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

it's funny how they want to be free, yet take freedoms away because they don't believe in them

i don't think you should impose your will and MAKE a catholic establishment go against their religion, but at the same time i don't think you should turn around and do the same thing to individuals who may not be catholic

(using the word catholic, but replace it with whatever, as applies)

there's got to be some kind of compromise

or just turn the US into jesusland, and get rid of what is supposed to be seperation of church and state, and throw out the whole "freedom of religion" right

make it a church country
  10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Who forces people to work at a Catholic institution or get care at a Catholic hospital?
  11. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

the job market lol
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

... it's not religions place to dictate healthcare either ....
  13. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

why do you insist on trolling here over and over and over again despite being a person of "authority" and "example" ?

I just don't understand the thought process that went into putting you in power.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

I think there's a lot of confusion here.

If your co-religionists who you hire don't want to use birth control, in line with the religion you seek to use state funds to enforce, guess what? Kathleen Sebelius doesn't show up and force a birth control pill into them.

If people of other religions who you hire don't want to use birth control, ditto.

If people do want birth control, the health plan provides it.

You're not "forced" to provide any service that people don't want. You're only mandated to provide care that your employees want.

No pious twit with a clerical title of any faith will be forced to himself use birth control. We're protecting the first amendment rights and equal protection rights of the employee in this case.

You can run a hospital because you are religiously "called" to set up a hospital. Fine. That doesn't make a hospital a church.

PFnV
  15. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i think everyone realizes it's a case of telling people that they have to give their employees healthcare that may go against the employers personal beliefs

i can't imagine even the zaniest radical religious person thinks the government is going to tell an individual they have to go against their belief themselves

but the radicals see this as them being forced to 'enable' others to go against the radicals religion
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Per an earlier post, an orthodox Jewish institution certainly should not dictate that the hospital food has to be kosher, especially when many people their plan covers, Jews and non-Jews, don't keep kosher. If you are a Jehovah's Witness (or 7th day adventist? Now I forget) institution, and I stock books in your book-store, I damn well need a transfusion if I need a transfusion -- particularly in light of the fact that I'm not someone who "doesn't believe in transfusions." Employee health plans aren't sermons or church picnics, they're health-provision vehicles.

The purpose of a health plan is to provide health to employees. You don't get to slice and dice providing health on religious grounds, when you have employees who need the health service in question.

It's not a matter of being "forced to" provide a service in line with your religion.

It's a matter of providing health services, not using your religious requirements to dictate other people's health choices.

The first amendment applies to the mass of the people as well as the few who have the control of a business. Every person in the U.S., regardless of his or her employer, have the right to equal protection under the law.

PFnV
  17. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

exactly, that's how it should be

but they want to make it "an attack of religion!"

just like "he wants to take our guns away durrrrrr!"
  18. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

Fine provide health services except contraception which due to their religious tenents and conscience does not believe in. That is their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.Its called FREEDOM OF RELIGION. Hundreds and thousands have died to protect that RIGHT.
    Goverment mandating (forcing) a religious instituion to do something against their conscience is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Look, ObaMao has given thousands of his union cronys and some states waivers to his disasterous bill, he can give one to a religion to protect their rights.

Nobody is stopping any woman from contraception including the church.If they want contraception their going to have to (gulp) BUY IT THEMSELVES like they have been doing for the last 50 years.
  19. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

yeah but then the wacky non medicine religious types could start a business and say healthcare in general is against their religion. so

no.....
  20. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

Thanks for making my point. If they believe in it or not. They are FORCED by the government to pay for it.
    If you are self employed you are FORCED by the government to buy or you will suffer a penalty.It is unconstitutional to be FORCED to buy anything.

Its an unacceptable precedent to allow government to mandate it citizens to do anything.

What happens if a republican president mandates that you must where a duck on your head on Tuesdays?
    You make that possibilty a lot more realistic because you have already allowed the precedent of allowing goverment to stomp on your constitutional rights by FORCING you to buy healthcare.