PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

why cut Bam Childress again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny Z said:
Good grief.

How many reps does Childress have in a the base offense in NFL games?

How many reps does Reche Caldwell have in a base offense in NFL games?

Caldwell's performance is the usual for him - well below reasonable expectations.

He's a floater - a turd who somehow evades the final flush.

Bam's performance is fairly typical for a player of his experience. Greg Jennings got a catch at the very end of the Packers game. That after an excellent preseason performance, and exactly what would be reasonably expected of a player with his NFL game experience in the base offense.

Watch Oakland play - if you can stand it. John Madden gushes over Gabriel for a few seconds, and then he stinks up the rest of the reel. He is extremely inconsistent.

Inconsistent or not, Caldwell and Gabriel have NFL experience and have proven that they can catch a ball in a regular season game. Childress has not. Any spewing about him being a better WR than proven commodities is simply conjecture. He has three catches in the regular season. It's all guesswork as to what he COULD be, you can say nothing of what he IS. What he IS, currently, is a 3 career catch WR that is unemployed.

EDIT: For the record: While not to the same degree, this reminds me very much of people crying for Cobbs over Dillon during the preseason. Same outcome. Dillon is employed, Cobbs is not.

Last edited:
Johnny Z said:

Johnny Z said:
Caldwell's performance is the usual for him - well below reasonable expectations.

We expect him to be a #2/#3 WR. He will likely assume that role this year.

Johnny Z said:
Bam's performance is fairly typical for a player of his experience. Greg Jennings got a catch at the very end of the Packers game. That after an excellent preseason performance, and exactly what would be reasonably expected of a player with his NFL game experience in the base offense.

He was good in the preseason. And... ?

Johnny Z said:
Watch Oakland play - if you can stand it. John Madden gushes over Gabriel for a few seconds, and then he stinks up the rest of the reel. He is extremely inconsistent.

Which is why fans from pretty much every team (and Raider fans in particular) were surprised/disappointed the Patriots signed him. Which is why Raiders players publically griped that he was traded.

That Childress can play at an NFL level at this point is conjecture. Obviously, the coaching staff thinks he is either not able, or not ready, to assume that role.

You'll forgive me for trusting their judgment.

Last edited:
brdmaverick said:
I was disappointed when Bam got cut the first time around, and now disappointed again ESPECIALLY with the news of Deion's departure. Anyone else left scratching their heads.

I think this guy is a scrappy player who showed a lot of promise in the preseason. He reminds me of a Troy Brown in his early years.

I would rather take a flyer on this guy than a Jonathan Smith.

1) Smith is a Special Teams guy.
2) Bam could not create any seperation on Sunday.

Johnny Z said:
Good grief.

He's a floater - a turd who somehow evades the final flush.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. The only guy Childress is competing with is Smith. Obviously Smith has out performed him in the pros, but maybe Bam hasn't had an opportunity. In college?

Bam Childress
Played in 49 games with seven starts over four seasons with the Ohio State Buckeyes from 2001-04 ... Recorded 33 career receptions for 392 yards and also recorded nine kickoff returns for 159 yards. 2004 (Senior): Played in all 12 games and grabbed a career-high 17 receptions for 205 yards ... Served as the Buckeyes' third wide receiver for much of the year and tied for third on the team with 17 receptions ... Recorded four catches for a season-high 67 yards in the season-opener against Cincinnati ... Made a season-high five catches for 38 yards at N.C. State. 2003 (Junior): Played in all 13 games with three starts ... Finished the season with 11 catches for 133 yards ... Recorded a career long 36 yard reception in the Fiesta Bowl against Kansas State, grabbing a pass on a crossing route and bringing it to the 8-yard line, setting up a Buckeyes touchdown ... Finished the Fiesta Bowl with 44 yards on two catches ... Caught two passes for 17 yards against Michigan ... Caught four passes for 41 yards against Indiana. 2002 (Sophomore): Played in 13 games and finished the season with four grabs for 47 yards for the BCS champions ... Made a season-long 17 yard reception against Minnesota ... Made receptions in four games. 2001 (Redshirt Freshman): Played in 11 games and made one catch for seven yards in the home finale ... Also returned four kickoffs for 74 yards.

Jonathan Smith
AT TECH: Versatile, big-play performer who was Tech’s top offensive weapon in 2003. . . All-ACC performer who enjoyed one of the top seasons ever by a Georgia Tech receiver as a senior . . . A talented wide receiver and punt returner who has also lined up at tailback and quarterback at times in his career . . . Former high school quarterback with tremendous athletic ability . . . Drafted in the seventh round (214th pick) by the Buffalo Bills in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Finished his career in second place in Tech history in career receptions (174), fourth in career receiving yards (2,238) and ninth in career TD catches (12) . . . Scored 15 touchdowns on receptions, rushes and returns and also threw one touchdown pass . . . Also stands 10th with 2,931 career all-purpose yards . . . Career average of 12.2 yards per punt return ranks fifth in Tech history

Last edited:
Johnny Z said:
And you think Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel are NFL-Calibre WRs?

Invest the same NFL game time into Bam Childress and he will be significantly better than either of them.
'

PILE ON ALERT - this is a RIDICULOUS thing to say. I'm not trying to be harsh, I really am trying to be more patient with newbies and not be so judgy, but come on, man, you're making it too difficult.

Doug Gabriel is ALREADY more proven than Bam Childress may ever be - and I'm a Childress fan. Ditto for Reche Caldwell. People are overboard on how much they're killing Caldwell this early in the season. To insinuate that he and Gabriel are not NFL-calibre WRs is just ludicrous.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Well he didn't get any playing time at Ohio State. What is it that you see that Professionals in College and the NFL don't?

I'm not against the guy, but any success Bam might have is speculation at this point.

I agree. And making comparisons to the early pro career of Troy Brown is doing a disservice to Troy Brown, who had a very productive college career at Marshall. Bam could barely get on the field at OSU. Did he impress vs. 2nd/3rd string DBs during TC? Oh yes. Do I want him to succeed here? Absolutely. I want everyone wearing the flying elvis to succeed. I also think that he is a better prospect than Doctor Smith, who might have his chance to establish his claim as The Returner vs. the jest.

I am really, really looking forward to Sunday...and to the conversations on Monday.

Let's compare Bam to Tony Gaiter then. He was continual cut bait for something like two seasons! He was SO short that he got lost in the tall grass.

Captain of the Patriots' All Ugly team too.

Johnny Z said:
And you think Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel are NFL-Calibre WRs?

Yes, of course:

Caldwell has started 15 NFL games and played in 48 NFL games.

Gabriel has started 7 NFL games and played in 42 NFL games.

Anyone who has played in 40+ NFL games is, by definition, an NFL-caliber player. You don't play in 40+ NFL games without demonstrating a certain level of skill. Competition for spots on active game-day NFL rosters is intense and unforgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back