Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why aren't more people angry?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 8, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

With several bailouts already passed, I am wondering why more of our members aren't voicing their anger over them. To me, if you don't voice your anger, then you support them.

Is anyone aware that our trusty federal government passed a $25 billion bailout of the auto industry right smack in the middle of the $700 rescue debates last week? Did you think about how shady that was for our government to try to sneak that past us?

Last night, McCain talked of appropriating $300 billion MORE to bailout mortgage holders EVEN though that is SUPPOSED to be part of the $700 billion rescue package.

Yet I see our a great number of our member sitting on their hands NOT voicing their anger over it.

And the most AMAZING thing I have noticed is that it is mostly DEMOCRATS who are the ones voicing their anger. Which goes against all historical logic because we typically love government spending! Or so we are told!:rolleyes:

Where are the republicans? Why aren't you all voicing your rage as much as the democrats? How can any good republican keep their "mouths" shut over all these illegal bailouts.

What has happened to the republican party?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

McCain's new plan he talked about last night would piss me off... he wants to buy mortgages and then forgive the upside down difference between the value and the money owed on a house for home owners...

So then I ask, what do I get for buying a modest house within my income range and being a responsbile borrower?

On on hand, if I just went for the 450k house I knew I couldn't afford, I would be allowed to stay in the house and the difference erased... on the other, I continue to pay on my house that is worth less than I owe, but I can still afford to make the payments....

On one hand, person gets a sweet house they never could afford made affordable in a hand out style bailout... on the other hand you just have the house you should have gotten and did...

Man I sure wish I went for a bigger better house if I knew the government was going to just "make it so"...

His plan should OUTRAGE conservatives...

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Yes, you're right mcgraw...we should ALL be outraged.

When all is said and done and this recession turns around, we're going to be able to see that all the government bailouts did nothing for the average middle class American.

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

I think lots of people are angry at a national level. But it's kind of nice (to me) that in the middle of this meltdown -- and there was a global selloff last night, btw -- are trying to GET what the hell this is about.

I have plenty of anger but at the same time I am enjoying (around here) the fact that we've at least had substance to bark at each other over.

Tendrils of this thing go way back... I guess that's one thing that makes it seem to me that getting angry right now is pointless. We've been deregulating and tweaking rates to prime investment for a long time now. We have fostered a belief and dependence on high returns, and ignoring the possibility of catastrophic collapse, which is what we're seeing now. We just don't know how catastrophic right now.

In large part we're all chasing returns when we think our home value will go up and no other direction. Institutional investors chase returns because people want to retire at 50 sometimes and die at 90. Or even retire at 65 and die at 90. And of course, the very rich chase returns to get richer.

Look, if a sector of the economy is going nuts in terms of growth, we think of it as healthy growth or strong growth or whatever. If a guy has a temperature of 107, we don't say he has a healthy temperature or a strong temperature.

I'm pissed that human beings are greedy. Sure. I'm pissed that it seems to get worse not better as you meet your primary needs. Sure.

More than anything I am worried that we cannot think in terms of longer than the current crisis in many cases. This election it looks like we're moving forward a little. Everybody seems capable of understanding we need to shore up our energy policy and financial regulatory issues and climate crisis all at once, and for the long haul. But maybe we only see that for 3 months every 4-8 years.

PFnV

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I like what you said above. To me, I think Americans have become a bunch of babies who always expect things to go our way. All of a sudden, we think we aren't supposed to experience recession. So our government plays with things they have no business playing with (interest rates, mortgages, etc.) to stem off a down turn...yet here we sit on the brink of a historical recession.

Panic seems to abound everywhere as if this isn't supposed to happen to us. Our grandparents would be embaressed.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Republicans are a mess right now. Their base doesn't even stand on its own principles any longer, and they haven't yet figured out a way to blame Clinton for the bailout.

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

A lot of the base is pissed. I don't know why you say that. Everyone is up to their necks in this, democrats and republicans alike. We can have a partisan debate on why our sides aren't as much to blame as the other but I think that's just homerism. I haven't figured out yet though why McCain's vote for the bailout makes all of you guys so angry while Obama's vote for the bailout is either ignored or dismissed.

BTW has anyone even noticed the similarity of McCains new plan to Bush's a few months back? You know the one Dems said didn't go far enough because it didn't help enough people? Well now McCain took it to farther and nows he's gone too far. Quick quiz. How are the two plans similar? How do they differ?

8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You haven't? See the sentence just before the boldened one. The power of the left runs deep and long in America. America has drifted so far from the spirit of our founding fathers they would have a hard time recognizing it today.

//

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

screw the founding fathers...what are they biblical guys in your book?

bet I got him there for a second:D

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

So far, not a single person has voiced being pissed off congress approved a $25 billion bailout of auto industry in the middle of the rescue debates.

Do you all believe it was an honest and forthright way to pass such a bill. Basically, you could say it was passed in the middle of a hurricane at midnight.

I'd be fine with one of the big 3 auto makers going out of business. WTF has happened in the USA that we allow companies to get so big, they can't fail even if they SUCK?

comments PLEASE

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I didn't watch any of the debate last night, cuz frankly, I'm just not interested in either of these two underqualified individuals, but did McLame talk about buying people's mortgages or something? LOLOLOLOL! My goodness, is there an difference between the two parties anymore? The dems walk lock step with republican Bush on a bailout plan with all kinds of extra goodies, and the republican nominee talks about spending another $300 billion to buy personal mortgages. All the while republicans who originally balked, switch their votes to pass a pork laden bill. If this era doesn't spark a 3rd party into prominence, then nothing will.

12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah...... yeah he did. I'm starting not to care as well. I love McCain as a guy, but I'm becoming less and less thrilled about his stances. But I'll never vote for Obama. The next president is pretty much guaranteed to be FUBAR anyway after 4 years. I actually wouldn't mind Obama as president as much if he didn't have a filibuster-proof Congress. Two times in history that's happened, giving us the New New Deal and a Great Society. The Great Society is what got us off the gold standard, because we had to continually print money.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Not enough people understand that Farmy. Some of my friends get upset with me cuz I'm not voting for McLame, and others get mad cuz I tell them what's likely to happen when they vote for Obam-uh. I think the best potential scenario is to punt for field position here, and hope that an Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Dean leadership will push for a revolution of genuine constitutional principles. Like you point out though, unilateral power is my fear if that happens. Worse, is the judges that will be nominated. When Obam-uh said in a primary debate, that he wanted to nominate "judges that have been in a minority position", I decided I could never vote for him. Judges should never adjudicate from any position, except for that which determines right, or wrong, according to the law. I'm not sure people understand what we're getting ourselves into. The problem is, McLame is a terrible, terrible candidate. I've never been a big fan of his, even before he was nominated. This election is really disappointing.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I guess 25 billion on top of the 1 Trillion seems like play dough.

I posted this last night right after the debates.OUR MONEY IS BEING STOLEN. If we need an additional 300 billion for the mortgage bailout, what was teh 700 (850 with pork) for?

W

T

F?

15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not trying to split hairs here but wasn't the 300 billion part of the 700 billion?

16. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Do you remember their stupid motto :

"Either you are with us ,or with the terrorists"

Why are you a terrorist for criticizing the chosen party ?

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

RW...you're bummed out over the prospects of the two candidates we are faced with...which is absolutely your right as an American.

But have you considered the fact that the man we elected the last TWO TIMES hs probably been the most destructive president in US history? And you're complaining about McCain & Obama? They're hero's compared to Bush. George W Bush has almost single-handedly brought this nation to the brink of a dismantling of our constitutional rights. He has abused more presidential powers than any president in history.

And he has done that over 9/11!!! September 11th, 2001 isn't even close to the most threatened our nation has been. It is tiny on a historical scale. We faced far, far greater threats in WWI and WWII and our presidents did not declare a single change in the rights given to us under the Constitution. But Georgie boy did over a simple one-day attack. As if it was the greatest threat in our history...it again, it's not even close.

So as you sit and complain about the choices you have, please keep in mind these 2 men stand head & shoulder above the piece of scum currently residing in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue named George W Bush.

Have a nice day RW!

• Like Like x 1
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

WTF is right Diver! Just let them keep it up and see what a nation of angry citizens can do:mad:

19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I agree, basically those who saved for retirment and lived moderate lifestyles of consumption have gotten shafted and the people who lived beyond their means are making out. That turned me off from McCain last night not that I needed to with his bafoon choice of Palin.

I am mad at people not looking at the long term future of this great country. What will happen after we are gone. it is our obligation to continue the strength of this country.

I am very angry that these superwealthy have likely transferred the american dollars to foreign currency or stocks. alot of wealth is leaving this country and we will be left with debt.

oprah makes me puke as if she is not one of the superwealthy robbing our country. doing a show on thrift due to the economy and she is superwealthy?

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

No...its in addition to it.