PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are we getting shafted with scheduling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say it was an inalienable right for anyone to watch what football they desire. But it is an issue of fair buisness practices.

No its not. Its an issue of you not understanding what you are talking about.

My history is a bit rusty,but the Sherman Act did say something about not allowing a monopoly. My interpretation is both in the case with EA sports and DirectTV they violated the spirt of anti-trust regulation by leveraging thier penetration into the market to cut-off competion simply by buying the market away.(No real different then microsoft, bell, or stadard oil)

As QuiGon pointed out, DirecTV does NOT have a monopoly. Nor does Electronic Arts. They have exclusive licensing agreements for the NFL PRODUCT. If you are going to complain, then your complaint should be with the NFL for deciding that having an exclusive contract with EA and DirecTV. Not with DirecTV and EA for out-bidding other vendors who also wished to provide a product.

You really should learn what the Anti-Trust laws and Anti-Monopoly laws are intended to do because its clear that you don't know.

However, the current laize-faire econmic policies of the United States fail to address the issue, unlike other countries where anti-trust regulation is actually enforced. This is why we are 10 some years behind in broadband technology and pitiful when it comes to wireless access.

Though such discussions are proably best for another venue.

Man, you really don't know what you are talking about. Its not the lack of enforcement of anti-trust laws that have the US behind other countries in offering better internet services. Not to mention a total exaggeration that the US is 10 years behind the curve when it comes to wireless access.

That being said, you are right. This is better off in the political forum.

I like the prime time games......because that frees up the 1:00 time slot to swtich back and forth between games. When the Pats are on, I soley concentrate on that game.

I really dont understand......I REALLY dont.......

First they pospone the revenge by having the saints play the colts in the opener instead of giving the audience the game that every single football fan would rather see (outside Louisiana) and the game that would make network revenue head salivate with the thought of profit....

Then instead of an awesome Thanksgiving Pats vs Cowboys (dynasty of the 90s vs dynasty of this decade is how I would bill it) game they give us the cowboys vs the mangyna jets!!!! Again.....no one outside jersey (except me...the ONLY jersey pats fan) and NY would rather see that game.....its bad enough I have to go to a sports bar every sunday to watch the pats games....now I have to sit through the probably by then 2-10 jets (life sucks when you dont have the texans and browns to play every year) play the cowboys.....

When did the league stop caring about top dollars in advertising?? This just doesnt make any sense......I know we are probably going to have 3 or 4 primetime games on monday and sunday night anyway but come on...give the pats a little love

i live in jersey and i'm a pat fan :D :D :D

and plus....think about it....no matter who you are....just people in general will watch opening week, and the playoffs...everything in the middle, people who arent fans of the game will just shrug off......they are thinking about the $$ when they make the schedules....

the NFL doesnt want to have a huuuuuge rating on week one by busting out all the huge games...and then having low, nhl like ratings throughout the season until the playoffs....they would rather have fairly high ratings throughout the season, thats how they make a lot of their money...

start out week one first opening game, pats vs colts....you'd get a rating of 15.0.....then 5 weeks later, you'll be getting 2.3 ratings

and also....think about it?

would you rather see a pats vs colts game.....in the middle of the season when they're in full swing, they're used to the system, and are in shape to play a great game?

or would you rather have a pats vs colts game where the guys who are trying to get back into shape and are still getting adjusted miss balls and tackles....

its common sense....

ugh...going through these posts....

really makes me want to get direcTV and sunday ticket

actually i think i have direcTV.....how much is sunday ticket??

i just HATE coming home after church....and being forced to watch blackout games....of the jets on CBS...and giants on FOX......

i think i was able to see 4 pats games on local television...2 jets game, one dolphin game, and the bengals/pats game...which i really wanted to see, but the sister was hogging the televison, and i missed the spanking...

Well, I will be moving to NC from NH in the next 6 months or so. And since it will likely be just prior to the season, one of the first things I will be ordering before moving will be Sunday Ticket.

Heck, if it wasn't for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, I might have chosen not to move.

Last edited:
I did think they would get the thanksgiving game, but i was not suprized they did not play thursday at indy. but i would have not been suprized had they....im actually glad they did not get the thanksgiving game though cuz we always eat late and i would prob miss most of it

I believe its better to have more Normal games..Sunday afternoon and a couple of prime time games. This is better for us fans and I'm sure the players.

I didnt look at any stats or anything but it does seem the Pats dont play their best on sunday, or Monday nights. I'd rather see them every sunday at 1 when they play there best.

we all dont live in areas were land is like 3 dollars an acre buddy...... nice try on the "Im better than you" crack though...

Dude, don't be so defensive. It's the first post of this thread that started the **** storm, you started it, so tag you're it. I'm sure Jersey is not the most convenient place to catch a Pats game, so do like I do when I have to work during a game. Put the radio on. There's nothing like hearing Gil Santos yelling, ' it's good! it's good!'

I really feel bad for people stuck as far away as Jersey. I'm sure it must be impossible to find a friend's house or bar where they're showing the game. Poor guy. Maybe someday you'll be lucky and live in Asia, where it's so much easier to watch the games that 90% of the population doesn't know/care about at 2:00 a.m.

I guess being lucky enough to live in Asia, and not Jersey, is why I haven't missed a game yet.

Just because you want to whine about the free market situation and complain about having to spend less money to have DirecTV, that's the choice you made. You don't like it? Change it.

:rolleyes: Not every location on earth can receive a satellite signal. I am in one of them. And please do not go on a rant about how I choose that apartment before checking with direct tv to find out if they could put in the damned dish. There is a lot more that goes into that decision then just how to watch football. Add those up, I do not get the dish, and I like primetime games.

My whole point in being a football fan is to get enjoyment out of it; I get more enjoyment being able to watch the games in the comfort of my own home. Therefore, I prefer schedules that have plenty of primetime games. Do I have an illusion the league is going to schedule around what I want, no. Should the league schedule around what I want, double no. Do I think the league is trying to exclude the patriots from the national stage, of course not, that would be stupid. But, for my two cents, I want as many patriots’ games as I can get on my screen.

But I do think the NFL should be using the latest technology the get the largest amount of coverage to the fans as possible.

ETD politcal rant

Last edited:
take off your pats-colored glasses. the only people interested in the Patriots are Pats fans and the fans of whichever team they're playing. fans of other afc competitors are watching the scoreboard but probably not the game.

the saints are the hot new team and the jets play in the largest market in country. these decisions were in fact made with money and marketing in mind.

also, it's not like NE is a historically significant team with a huge following like Pitt or Dallas.

Agreed. It's all about storyline and offense and that makes N.O. exciting for the baloney slingers.

Would somebody else from N.J. post please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
i live in jersey and i'm a pat fan :D :D :D

and plus....think about it....no matter who you are....just people in general will watch opening week, and the playoffs...everything in the middle, people who arent fans of the game will just shrug off......they are thinking about the $$ when they make the schedules....

the NFL doesnt want to have a huuuuuge rating on week one by busting out all the huge games...and then having low, nhl like ratings throughout the season until the playoffs....they would rather have fairly high ratings throughout the season, thats how they make a lot of their money...

start out week one first opening game, pats vs colts....you'd get a rating of 15.0.....then 5 weeks later, you'll be getting 2.3 ratings

and also....think about it?

would you rather see a pats vs colts game.....in the middle of the season when they're in full swing, they're used to the system, and are in shape to play a great game?

or would you rather have a pats vs colts game where the guys who are trying to get back into shape and are still getting adjusted miss balls and tackles....

its common sense....

Thank You! sorry for the post, I didn't know you were already here!:D

I really feel bad for people stuck as far away as Jersey. I'm sure it must be impossible to find a friend's house or bar where they're showing the game. Poor guy. Maybe someday you'll be lucky and live in Asia, where it's so much easier to watch the games that 90% of the population doesn't know/care about at 2:00 a.m.

I guess being lucky enough to live in Asia, and not Jersey, is why I haven't missed a game yet.

Quit whining. At least you get some real Chop Suey delivered, not that crap we get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back