PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are we getting shafted with scheduling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I like about primetime games is that you get all the extra pre-game coverage on ESPN/NBC. I get so much more nervous for those games since I know that if the Pats lose, many of my friends will be ragging on me for a week or worse yet, some will feel sorry for me. I'd rather have the ribbing than the condolences but both suck.

Looks like you need to break down and buy a house then. There are some great deals on variable mortgages right now....

we all dont live in areas were land is like 3 dollars an acre buddy...... nice try on the "Im better than you" crack though...

Jesus....for the 80th time....some people live in apartment complexes that prohibit the use of satellite dishes...... is that a little known fact or something??
With all due respect, it sounds like you've made choices in your life (living outside New England, living in an apartment, etc) that have created a situation where you won't be able to see every NE game from the comfort of your own home. I mean, what do you want the NFL to do...? Allow every citizen across the country unlimited and free access to whatever team they would like..?

With all due respect, it sounds like you've made choices in your life (living outside New England, living in an apartment, etc) that have created a situation where you won't be able to see every NE game from the comfort of your own home. I mean, what do you want the NFL to do...? Allow every citizen across the country unlimited and free access to whatever team they would like..?

What the self centered Jerseyite by his own free choice wants is for everyone else to adjust their lives to make his more comfortable despite his bogus choices.

Ya, maybe the league actually wanted to give the Pats a fighting chance instead of starting off 0-1 right out of the gate. ;)
Yea. Yea. The Colts are the Champs they earned it. Just remember! What you say NOW will come back X's 10 when your having your words shoved right back down your throat!! It's inevitable, the Colts will lose to the Pats soon enough....and it won't be pretty!

Easiest question yet, I want the NFL to get out of the dirty bed it made with directTV. Only in the US does directTV hold the monopoly on Sunday ticket. It is an abomination to human kind. The entire deal is the vilest corruption of the spirit of football. There is no reason that it should not be across all platforms. Satellite, cable, internet, wireless, all of them. There is enough bandwidth, the technology is available, but instead of free competition DirectTV simply bribes the NFL into letting them a** f*** the loyal fans who are being held hostage by the media corporations.

Though my original post was more of a request for civility for those of us who like having many primetime games as opposed to the always Sunday at 1:00 crowd. We have our valid reasons for wanting them, as you have for not wanting them.

Last edited:
we all dont live in areas were land is like 3 dollars an acre buddy...... nice try on the "Im better than you" crack though...

violin.gif

My daughter lived in NYC,in an apartment, for 4 years. She had no problem going to places that showed Patriots games on Sunday afternoon. Even when the Jesters were playing.

This is the perfect analogy for every fan who doesnt live in NE and doesnt have Direct TV

Actually, I was sort of joking, and being a little disingenuous. Ironically you are better off being a Pats fan in the UK than in some states outside of NE because we do get live feeds through Yahoo! and the NFL on the internet. It costs a bit. About $20 per game I think and the quality's not great but it's better than nothing and I am happy to pay for it.

So last regular season we had about six live Pats games on Sunday evening (the 1pm, 4pm kick-offs we get a choice of two of each of those) another two or three occasions from the US national tv games and I probably bought another four or five to watch on the internet.

I'd rather be a season ticket holder obviously, but as I'm doing my bit to reduce carbon emissions the constant back and forth across the Atlantic in a 747 would be unconscionable. ;)

I really dont understand......I REALLY dont.......
When did the league stop caring about top dollars in advertising?? This just doesnt make any sense......I know we are probably going to have 3 or 4 primetime games on monday and sunday night anyway but come on...give the pats a little love

They do. Opening night, Thanksgiving, these are games that play on every TV. Even if the games suck, even if we don't pay closest attention, those games will be on.

Save the big game for a regular Sunday or Monday night. People are less likely to watch then, but if there is a marquee matchup, it will draw big crowds.

Said it before, I'll say it again: the reason you cited is exactly why they're not using that game as the kickoff opener; the kickoff is going to get good ratings with one good team, so why "waste" it on a premier matchup that is itself guaranteed to get good ratings?

[In other words, which is better: two games watched by 40 million people, or one game watched by 60 million and one watched by 15 million?]
So, why did they do it a few years back? In the end, you are right though. Colts/Saints, then a subsequent Colts/Pats (sweeps week?) makes more money than blowing it all week one. Would be nice to see Pats/Boys on T-Day, but again, the theory holds, why waste this guaranteed viewership on a marquee match up?

Easiest question yet, I want the NFL to get out of the dirty bed it made with directTV. Only in the US does directTV hold the monopoly on Sunday ticket. It is an abomination to human kind. The entire deal is the vilest corruption of the spirit of football. There is no reason that it should not be across all platforms. Satellite, cable, internet, wireless, all of them. There is enough bandwidth, the technology is available, but instead of free competition DirectTV simply bribes the NFL into letting them a** f*** the loyal fans who are being held hostage by the media corporations.
Fact is DirecTV paid a big enough fee to the NFL to gain exclusive rights for licensing live games on Sunday. The powers-that-be at the NFL decided that this fee was greater than what they could have gotten by allowing Comcast and Verizon (etc) to offer similar packages. I don't know why people feel entitled to having access to all NFL games on cable or internet. Which amendment to the constitution was it that said we all have that right..?

Electronic Arts did a similar this with video games. They bought and paid for exclusivity.

Fact is DirecTV paid a big enough fee to the NFL to gain exclusive rights for licensing live games on Sunday. The powers-that-be at the NFL decided that this fee was greater than what they could have gotten by allowing Comcast and Verizon (etc) to offer similar packages. I don't know why people feel entitled to having access to all NFL games on cable or internet. Which amendment to the constitution was it that said we all have that right..?

Electronic Arts did a similar this with video games. They bought and paid for exclusivity.

I did not say it was an inalienable right for anyone to watch what football they desire. But it is an issue of fair buisness practices.

My history is a bit rusty,but the Sherman Act did say something about not allowing a monopoly. My interpretation is both in the case with EA sports and DirectTV they violated the spirt of anti-trust regulation by leveraging thier penetration into the market to cut-off competion simply by buying the market away.(No real different then microsoft, bell, or stadard oil)

However, the current laize-faire econmic policies of the United States fail to address the issue, unlike other countries where anti-trust regulation is actually enforced. This is why we are 10 some years behind in broadband technology and pitiful when it comes to wireless access.

Though such discussions are proably best for another venue.

This is the perfect analogy for every fan who doesnt live in NE and doesnt have Direct TV

But apparently for must of the jerks on this board not living in new england either makes you a jets spy (I would love to meet the brainiac who originally tied those two points togethor so I could take a picture of the STUPIDEST man in the world) or unworthy to contribute to this board

Listen, YOU make the choice not to subscribe to DirecTV. You can always change that choice.

On a different note, your SIG shows how childish you truly are.

Jesus....for the 80th time....some people live in apartment complexes that prohibit the use of satellite dishes...... is that a little known fact or something??

Actually, I read some where that they can NOT prohibit satellite dishes. I believe its a federal law now. However, what they CAN do is charge you a fee to get in installed.

BTW, you are NOT the ONLY Pats fan in New Jersey. There are plenty of others if you get off your duff and get out every now and then.

This is just stupid. Are you saying that people aren't buying houses in California or in Massachusetts?

I did not say it was an inalienable right for anyone to watch what football they desire. But it is an issue of fair buisness practices.

My history is a bit rusty,but the Sherman Act did say something about not allowing a monopoly.
It's not a monopoly when you provide exclusive licensing rights to a certain company. Personally I find it rather hard to believe that the NFL has been breaking the law for about 10 years now and nobody has done a darn thing about it.

With all due respect, what you say sounds an awful lot like complaints based simply on the fact that you are in the excluded group - i.e. those unable or unwilling to pay for DirecTV. I doubt you'd feel as passionately about the issue if a cable company you had access to was the sole provider of NFL games. You only see it as "unfair" because it adversely affects you.

Though my original post was more of a request for civility for those of us who like having many primetime games as opposed to the always Sunday at 1:00 crowd. We have our valid reasons for wanting them, as you have for not wanting them.

Did you ever stop to think that NFL Direct Ticket is a patented idea of DirecTV and, therefore, they don't HAVE to sell it across all platforms?

Now, as for DirecTV "bribing" the NFL, sorry that you don't like the free market enterprise. But, DirecTV is actually cheaper and BETTER than Cable TV. If you haven't figured that out yet, that is your problem.

Primetime games SUCK, honestly. The throw things out of whack for the players routines and for the routines of a majority of the fans. Just because you want to whine about the free market situation and complain about having to spend less money to have DirecTV, that's the choice you made. You don't like it? Change it.

I really dont understand......I REALLY dont.......

First they pospone the revenge by having the saints play the colts in the opener instead of giving the audience the game that every single football fan would rather see (outside Louisiana) and the game that would make network revenue head salivate with the thought of profit....

Then instead of an awesome Thanksgiving Pats vs Cowboys (dynasty of the 90s vs dynasty of this decade is how I would bill it) game they give us the cowboys vs the mangyna jets!!!! Again.....no one outside jersey (except me...the ONLY jersey pats fan) and NY would rather see that game.....its bad enough I have to go to a sports bar every sunday to watch the pats games....now I have to sit through the probably by then 2-10 jets (life sucks when you dont have the texans and browns to play every year) play the cowboys.....

When did the league stop caring about top dollars in advertising?? This just doesnt make any sense......I know we are probably going to have 3 or 4 primetime games on monday and sunday night anyway but come on...give the pats a little love

You struggle with a logical understanding of how the NFL works.

Did you ever stop to think that NFL Direct Ticket is a patented idea of DirecTV and, therefore, they don't HAVE to sell it across all platforms?

Now, as for DirecTV "bribing" the NFL, sorry that you don't like the free market enterprise. But, DirecTV is actually cheaper and BETTER than Cable TV. If you haven't figured that out yet, that is your problem.

Primetime games SUCK, honestly. The throw things out of whack for the players routines and for the routines of a majority of the fans. Just because you want to whine about the free market situation and complain about having to spend less money to have DirecTV, that's the choice you made. You don't like it? Change it.

Bingo. Personally, I'm a huge fan of prime time games, but I got DirecTV for the sole purpose of seeing every Pats game, and it has proven to be the best investment ever. This year's project is getting a computer HD receiver, so that I can record every game to the hard drive, zap the commercials, and start to compile a DVD collection of every Pats game from here on out, going forward by season. That will be tremendous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back