PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Are We Carrying Six Corners On the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we play 2-3-6 lot of times last year

In today's NFL, teams can spend more than half the snaps with three corners on the field. Six on the roster isn't that many when you think about it. The game has slowly changed toward more spread offense, more nickel D.

I don't agree with the characterization of Ihedigbo and Molden as ST only. I think the team sees these two as capable of taking snaps with the defense if needed. I think both have played defense before: they are not Larry-Izzo-type ST-0nly guys.

I think we have six corners because Arrington is hurt and we need the depth for now.

How many safeties did they carry last year? Perhaps one of these guys is slated to help out there?

Dowling will be used as a hybrid safety/corner. I don't think Butler is the next guy to go if we get an acquisition either. I'd have to think Tarp is (not sure how he made the roster anyway).

Oh, I'm sure we'll see that thread in one form or another.

Fair enough.

So, I guess I need another thread to discuss why we have 5 players who are here to play special teams instead of the more usual 2-3.

Because the line between a FS and CB is blurring to the point that they're just labels now.

What is the difference between having a FS or a CB on the field, if they both have the same responsibilities?

Or, we play a Cover 1 with 3 or 4 CB in man. I went over this in one of the other safety threads we have going on.

I really can't wrap my brains around keeping Butler over Yeatman, or even Maneri. Ther upside on Butler is non-existent, as far as I can tell. I hope to God he surprises me and outperforms, but I expect to be screaming at the TV because of him instead....
Agree with you here....put me in the camp of the "wtf is Butler still doing herex" Guy has shown nothing much so far...and i just dont see that changing....maybe this is the year he has an epiphany....

All true except option 1. Brandon was more tradeable than Butler will ever be yet BB didn't have patience to hold onto him until a trade was arranged. If he wanted to get rid of Butler, he would just cut him too.

It's like BB was listening straight to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back